• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I'd love it if gen 5 is less linear.

deuxhero

Wears sunglasses at night
Reaction score
Pokémon is highly linear, even for a jRPG, at least most of them are more creative with broken bridges than literally dragging you to where the game wants you to go.

I don't know how it would be pulled off. Prehaps starting at the center of the region with suggestions (people stoping you once, then warning you that the road ahead is full of danger) you go west and beat Glaz the rock trainer first?

id love for pokemon to be more open-world. allwoing you to travel to more than one city, (not having all the cites and towns connected by a line).

Well, according to Final Fantasy XIII, linearity is what makes an RPG good! Or some shit like that.

I have to agree with you... However, I'm unsure how they couldn't make a Pokémon game linear unless it was just completely open-world, no boundaries, completely choose-your-own-path, or something...
Maybe I'm being extreme, but I can't imagine Pokémon being a not-linear game without taking it to purely open world.

I actually like Pokémon's style of linearity - it's like a watered-down Metroid formula with less backtracking. If anything, I'd like to see it remain linear in the main plot, but be a lot like Johto in its side-quests: there are tons of little optional caves and other areas that you can explore basically whenever, and it was nice to be able to pass them up when I was on a roll, then go back and explore there when I needed a break. I just realized while playing HG that that was the case, and I think it's a major reason Johto is considered so much better than the two following it, which had few if any optional areas - adding in even more than Johto in Gen. V would be a marked improvement.

yeah! That would be awsome!
Altough there is the problem of getting to a gym town before your suppose to...
Beating the evil team to quickly...
And the problem of getting to any high level route to easily and fast, with buffed up trainers and pokemon (which could be a problem for new trainers)...

Well beating the evil team quickly could easily be solved, the player has to defeat them at x number of locations in any order. As for the grinding higher level guys, it's your choice to do so.

I'd love an open Pokemon RPG, but it would have to be on the Wii. It would literally explode a DS cart if they tried to fit an entire open Pokemon region into a single game.

But yeah, I'd prefer some more choose-your-own-path options. You know, more than just choosing your gender and your starter.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom