• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Idea for a new item in the next gen game

Gomez16

Reaction score
TRAINER REPEL! while under its effects trainers will not challenge you.

I hate trying to explore a route and being challenged by trainers with Pokemon 50 levels lower than me!

Bug Cather's lvl 9 weedle vs Pokemon League Champion with lvl 100 Yveltal! good match!. LOL

Last edited:
Oooh...I like that idea, ALOT! xD. Haha, and it'd also be useful for if you're winding down a long row of trainers and your pokemon(s) are low on HP. ^u^

I disagree. There's always time to go back and heal, and if you are training properly you shouldn't avoid trainers.

I disagree. There's always time to go back and heal, and if you are training properly you shouldn't avoid trainers.
I remember back in Pearl when I was 8 and I would always skip the trainers in that game. (I don't now. Heck, I try to battle every last trainer in every game now.)
Anyway, i'm usually underleveled in D/P/Pt all the time. So when I finally got to my battle with the Elite Four, I sent out my level 39 Torterra. Most of my Pokemon were around that level too. >_<

I dislike this idea. I mean, I get that it would be optional, just like repels are now, and useful for when you've beaten the game and don't want to fight weak trainers you've skipped, but if you've beaten the game, you could easily wipe them out in no time, plus get a small amount of XP and some money. So really, even if it's very little, there's still something to gain.
As for traversing a route with lots of trainers and low health - turn back, go to a town, heal up at the PokeCenter, and then continue. Easy.

While I agree that constant meetings with trainers are really annoying, I don't think there's anything you could really do about it. It's essential for training your pokemon, especially now the enemy trainers and even wild pokemon have really high levels in comparison to what you tend to be at at the time you fight them. I don't really think the idea is worth it, unfortunately.

Not for a way to avoid progress through the game. going back getting mega stones I found many trainers I never fought with significantly weaker pokemon and it was an annoyance.

Maybe they should not challange you on site if you are over 20 levels higher than them. instead you can challenge them by talking.

Last edited:
Rather than such an item, I think a change to the mechanics in how a trainer spots you is what should be in order.

For example, it's said when two trainers "make eye contact", but in actual gameplay it's any time you walk directly in front of them, eye contact or not.

The G3 console games (Colosseum and XD) were a little more flexible being free-roaming affairs not tied to a grid-based level design (and since you could freely rematch quite a few trainers, you got quite a feel for what the exact trigger areas were).

I'd propose something like this:

- If you cross an NPC's line of sight within a short distance, this prompts a battle. It's visually cued by your trainer and the NPC turning heads to glance at each other as you walk by.
- If you're actually facing an NPC head-on, this can prompt a battle from a larger distance.

I like the idea of a Trainer Repel, since it would allow players to choose if/when they can battle trainers. If that were ever in place, maybe games could have a minimum of Trainers faced before the next Gym or something. That way at some point the players would have to battle them.

Another option: Give a yes/no option when a Trainer challenges you to battle. In some cases, if you say "no" then you are sent back a step (and thus unable to actually pass by the trainer without battling), and in some other cases (like the villainous team's grunts) you aren't given a choice, the battle is required.

Another option: Give a yes/no option when a Trainer challenges you to battle. In some cases, if you say "no" then you are sent back a step (and thus unable to actually pass by the trainer without battling), and in some other cases (like the villainous team's grunts) you aren't given a choice, the battle is required.

Oh my, this is actually a very good idea. I must agree with this; it'd be interesting to see this be integrated into a game.

Ill have to disagree, but only because of "hidden trainers". These are the guys hiding behind corners, in bushes, under mats and leaves. They've been in every game and were meant to be unpredictable encounters. While this "trainer repel" would have about as much use as a normal repel, which isn't much, the fact that there are meant to be surprise, unavoidable trainers nullifies and reason for adding a Trainer Repel to the game.

Also, to add such a thing Trainers would have to be able to be ran away from. I haven't tried running from one, but I'm pretty sure you still can't. Only reason Repel exists is because wild encounters can be ran from and would be tedious to someone who is running away from all if them.

.......b-b-but thats the point of pokemon?

to

BATTLE?

Maybe if it were given after becoming champion, then it wouldn't be game-breaking while still being convenient.

One thing they could do, is that the Trainer Repel would only work on trainers not purposely hidden from view. A lot like regular repels don't work on underground Pokemon in Route 13. Yeah the Yes/No option could work too, or maybe they could even have both to make things easier.

Really wouldn't be necessary if Game Freak finally scrapped the arbitrarily-applied eye-contact rule and gave us a choice.

The current system largely discourages outside-the-box tactics involving underlevelled Pokémon (level 1 Cottonee and whatnot). There are already a dozen level "checkpoints" in the form of the Pokémon League, and even without those there's the pragmatic advantage over wild Pokémon that high levels give you. The other hundred or so level checkpoints in the form of route Trainers are wholly gratuitous and unnecessary, and I couldn't care less about some Bug Catcher, Swimmer, etc. with some terribad team while the player accumulates more than enough prize money for Revives, etc.

Idea for an item

I have an idea for a possible item in the future. It would switch the the attack, and special attack stat of a pokemon. There could also be a defensive version of it as well. The item would be only available in the regional battle facility(like many other battle items). Any thoughts?

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom