• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you could remove any two things from the Pokemon Games, what would they be?

Like many have said, I believe IVs are the worst aspects of competitive battling. What's the point of them, anyway?

Also I believe the Mega Latis should be removed, unless it takes away Soaring too.

Critical hits and evasion. They make battles a little too luck-based for my liking.

I'd want to keep IVs, I don't battle but I like collecting Pokemon and trading. And breeding for IVs is a huge part of what I like to do in game, sure it can be frustrating but at least it's easier this gen and they do provide you with ways to do so like the friend safari, dex nav, and destiny knot. So personally I don't see why they should go.

Other than that I do agree about HMs, I never liked using an HM slave for moves since they usually take up one party slot. And I would love a 2nd save file. I know a lot of games can pull that off, so it would be nice seeing Pokemon do the same.

An adamant sceptile is not Perfect? Special ones are a disgrace!
Sure the higher special attack, but that is a developer mistake!

First look at sceptile's design and mega design. both have spikes and blades and all that cool stuff. mega sceptile could literally stab you with his tail.

Second, look at his learnset. Across all ways of learning moves there is about 7 or so special moves while a MASSIVE amount of Physical ones.

Here is one more thing that is weird: In ORAS they added his mega. it slightly boots attack, but buffs special attack more which is dumb. But then they added Dual chop, another PHYSICAL MOVE, to his learnset. up special attack, add physical move. Sure that makes sense.
more about the lack of a speed boosting nature actually, at least with physical vsceptile not using unburden
mega sceptile is fast enough to not need to run one but has less business physically attacking with its superior special STAB moves and the fact that its special attack is 35 points higher than its physical, as opposed to the previous 20

physical adamant mega sceptile is far from the dumbest thing I've heard of tho and I suppose I'm just nitpicking again

I'd want to keep IVs, I don't battle but I like collecting Pokemon and trading. And breeding for IVs is a huge part of what I like to do in game, sure it can be frustrating but at least it's easier this gen and they do provide you with ways to do so like the friend safari, dex nav, and destiny knot. So personally I don't see why they should go.

Other than that I do agree about HMs, I never liked using an HM slave for moves since they usually take up one party slot. And I would love a 2nd save file. I know a lot of games can pull that off, so it would be nice seeing Pokemon do the same.

I think I finally realized why they don't have multiple save files: trading with yourself. You could easily get all three starters or like get both fossils that there is normally a choice for. The easy fix though would be to have all save files on one copy have some kind of registered code hidden in the file to prevent trading with that code and file.

I would, like many in this thread, readily burn IVs to the ground.

After that, event Pokémon. I understand what they were going for on paper, but in practice, it just doesn't work and is much more complicated and unfair than it should be.

I think I finally realized why they don't have multiple save files: trading with yourself. You could easily get all three starters or like get both fossils that there is normally a choice for.

But you can already do that to some extent using the Pokémon Bank. Sure it is a little more time consuming and requires you to reset the game twice, but that is only a problem for later-game choices (like, say, the Johto/Sinnoh/Unova starters in ORAS). But for something like the Kanto starters or the Fossils in XY? Not a huge loss to reset; I can play up to Glittering Cave in an afternoon (even faster with the EXP Share!).

I remember reading somewhere; I cannot remember where it was exactly, but somebody asked them about multiple save files once, and I think it really was as simple as some hardware limitation.

Critical hits and evasion. They make battles a little too luck-based for my liking.

Wow do i hate crits with a passion. If a mon has a possibility of Shell armour or Battle armour ability, i'll always take that over whatever its other ability would be.
Given the chance, though, i don't think I'd remove them entirely. Changing the damage from 2x to 1.5x was very needed, but that's not enough of a nerf for me. I think you should only be able to perform a crit from using a move that has a high crit-ratio, or holding a scope lens or something. Basically crits that happen when there's no reason to should go.

IV's and the bunch of legendaries of 3 and 4 generation.

Whats the meaning of having legendaries, if there are 935934859340 legends?

I am probably going to seem like a devils advocate here, but I kinda like IVs! IVs make breeding so much more special and even more worthwhile! They can be customized for hidden power and gyro ball too, but mostly I just think that if every Pokemon had perfect IVs it would kind of trivialize the hard work that dedicated breeders put in to the game to breed the perfect Pokemon. I wouldn't want all egg moves to turn into level up or move tutor moves either for that same reason. It takes away from the hard work and effort.

But as for me I would probably remove critical hits and stealth rock. To me Pokemon shouldn't be so much luck based. Imagine setting up 3 stockpiles and you are about to take down the opponent's whole team but they suddenly OHKO you with a critical hit and you get mad. I have had so many people get mad at me for unfair crits and I totally understand them :/ Stealth rock is a lot better than spikes and the move is so centralizing that almost every competitive team uses either defog or rapid spin to get rid of it. While it adds strategy to the game in a way it also hinders it so I dunno. I would rather just get rid of the move but keep the other hazard moves.

Mega Evolution and Primal Reversion. At the very least, get Primal Groudon and Kyogre out of here. People abuse them to no end and they're criminally overpowered and overused. I used to like Groudon and Kyogre, but they are now two of my very least favorite Pokémon. As for Mega Evolution, I just don't like it. I can live with it, but I feel like it limits team creativity in some ways, and the novelty of the concept has long since worn off in my opinion.

I am probably going to seem like a devils advocate here, but I kinda like IVs! IVs make breeding so much more special and even more worthwhile! They can be customized for hidden power and gyro ball too, but mostly I just think that if every Pokemon had perfect IVs it would kind of trivialize the hard work that dedicated breeders put in to the game to breed the perfect Pokemon. I wouldn't want all egg moves to turn into level up or move tutor moves either for that same reason. It takes away from the hard work and effort.

I definitely agree with you there. Part of the pride I hold in my ORAS teams is that I spend so much time breeding for those perfect IVs (or, in the case of my Ferrothorn, deliberately picking the one with the lowest Speed IV). When playing Pokémon solely for the in-game content, IVs don't really affect your game at all. When playing competitively, you have to work for what you get, and people can be so much prouder of what they accomplish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mega Evolution and Primal Reversion. At the very least, get Primal Groudon and Kyogre out of here. People abuse them to no end and they're criminally overpowered and overused. I used to like Groudon and Kyogre, but they are now two of my very least favorite Pokémon. As for Mega Evolution, I just don't like it. I can live with it, but I feel like it limits team creativity in some ways, and the novelty of the concept has long since worn off in my opinion.

I don't know how it LIMITS team creativity my opening new possibilities. You don't have to have a mega so it isn't stopping you from anything either.

But as for me I would probably remove critical hits and stealth rock. To me Pokemon shouldn't be so much luck based. Imagine setting up 3 stockpiles and you are about to take down the opponent's whole team but they suddenly OHKO you with a critical hit and you get mad. I have had so many people get mad at me for unfair crits and I totally understand them :/ Stealth rock is a lot better than spikes and the move is so centralizing that almost every competitive team uses either defog or rapid spin to get rid of it. While it adds strategy to the game in a way it also hinders it so I dunno. I would rather just get rid of the move but keep the other hazard moves.

IVs are incredibly hard to work with and since perfect IVs are required for competitive play the sheer amount of time required for a a perfect pokemon turns many people away. I don't know why you mentioned egg moves turning into level up moves because removing IVs wouldn't affect them whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't know how it LIMITS team creativity my opening new possibilities. You don't have to have a mega so it isn't stopping you from anything either.

It's just my personal opinion. I know you don't have to Mega Evolve anything, but I don't like Mega Evolution because I feel like it throws in another aspect to battling that doesn't really need to be there when you've already got Abilities and held items and a whole bunch of moves that you can use. And what I meant about it limiting team creativity is that the Pokémon that can Mega Evolve are suddenly some of the most overused Pokémon ever, so you see less variety. But that's just my opinion based on what I've observed.

Critical hits and Evasion. The game is already somewhat luck based, but these pushes that to the limit. I'm on the side of people who feels that victory earned by getting a lucky crit is no victory at all, victory should be earned by a good strategy and good plays and not because i got a lucky crit or a series of lucky crits. Evasion is less worse than critical hits, but it's too luck based as well.

I feel the removal of these two would improve the games.

IVs are incredibly hard to work with and since perfect IVs are required for competitive play the sheer amount of time required for a a perfect pokemon turns many people away. I don't know why you mentioned egg moves turning into level up moves because removing IVs wouldn't affect them whatsoever.

I respect your opinion :)

As for the egg moves analogy I don't think you get my point? My point was that egg moves are bred on to the Pokemon, just like IVs. It requires time and effort to breed egg moves on to Pokemon (especially multiple egg moves) just as it requires time and effort to breed 5 / 6 perfect IV Pokemon, but it is fine if you disagree with me :)

I definitely agree that IV breeding is tedious, but it also makes the final result that much more satisfying. The actual breeding and training of competitive Pokémon is part of the fun for some of us. The whole process of creating competitive Pokémon was never easy, but they've already made it a lot easier by giving us Super Training, the Destiny Knot, Hatch Powers, Flame Body/Magma Armor, Everstones, and the DexNav. Also, having IVs in place enhances the idea of "every Pokémon is different." It'd be too easy to have Pokémon that are exactly the same as each other without IVs there.

To be honest, though, I do understand what people mean with the whole IV thing. I don't agree with getting rid of them, though. But if people could find a way to make the IV system more fair/easier to work with, I'd be cool with that. Like if every Pokémon had the same IV total, but different ways of dividing it among the six stats.

Just so you know,Generation V has more legendaries than Generation III ever had,and you don't seem to mind this one bit.
Anyways,I don't want Stealth Rock to be in the game.The same goes for linear region design.

Just so you know,Generation V has more legendaries than Generation III ever had,and you don't seem to mind this one bit.
Anyways,I don't want Stealth Rock to be in the game.The same goes for linear region design.

Yeah, you are right. I forgot. I was in a hurry when I wrote it.
Anyway, what I meant was that I would cut half of the legendary. Not necessarily exclude the Pokemon, but would make them just regular.
It has no need for more than four legendary. To be true, three for me is already okay. This include the "mythical" ones.

I remember reading somewhere; I cannot remember where it was exactly, but somebody asked them about multiple save files once, and I think it really was as simple as some hardware limitation.

You're probably thinking of the E3 Q&A in June of '13 before they released XY. Someone asked if they had multiple save files and they said they wouldn't do it.

Any it's not a hardware limitation -- don't XY and ORAS use like a third of the available space on a 3DS cart? How much space can another save file be?

The personality quiz and the hunger mechanic. I was happy when Gates to Infinity took those away, and upset that PSMD is going to restore them.

The personality quiz and the hunger mechanic. I was happy when Gates to Infinity took those away, and upset that PSMD is going to restore them.

If I recall, I believe the personality quiz only tells you a Pokemon that you COULD be, and then let's you choose, so you're not screwed with that one result. As for hunger, I know it sucks, but I like how it give the game a little bit of a challenge (well, more of a nuisance, but I feel like not having it would just be so easy).

Anyway, things I would remove... The new exp. share and probably eviolite. The former is just too much exp. to properly level my Pokemon (I'm OCD about levels) and the latter just makes it feel like some of my evolved Pokemon are useless :/

Actually, if they could have both an exp. share like the old games AND an exp. all, that'd be ok.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom