• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If YOU wrote the anime, how would you have written Sinnoh?

The end of AG hyped Gary up as if he was making this big comeback to the series. Back then, everyone thought Gary was going to have this major role in DP.

Fast forward 4 years later, and Gary was nothing more than a throw-away character. All the eps he was in could have been done pretty much without him. Oh wow, Gary got his ass kicked by Saturn and gave Ash a Razor Fang to evolve Gligar. As if those eps couldn't have been done without him.

Nando was treated terribly, we can all agree.

As for Misty, well I figured she wouldn't appear in DP anyway, so it didn't surprise me. It seems most old-school veterans in the fandom knew she was unlikely to appear.

Make the Grand Festival in an enormous open stadium rather than a closed one; it felt like every other contest because it looked virtually the same. The Grand Festival in Hoenn was amazing and I actually felt like it WAS the best of the best like it's supposed to be.

Make Satoshi catch Fukamaru/Gible earlier and give it more screentime. He got it so late into the series and already stopped using it (for now?), which is very disappointing. I'd have loved to see him use its second evolution.

More Jun screentime... because I'm a big fan. Also, focus more on his other Pokemon besides Enperuto. There's a reason why you lost, Jun!!

Make the Shinou League a little longer, because it seems very rushed with the way it ended. TAKE FUKAMARU TO ISSHU. The poor thing is suffering from lack of screentime/worthy battles!

- Gary only gets 3 appearances? WTF was even the point of bringing him back into the show in the first place?

To remind how he hasnt been forgotten with writers throwing one of their occasional bones to older fans to please them.And its not like Gary didnt had purpose behind this return,given how he informed Ash about Sinnoh causing him to decide go to it,aswell helping group few times like against Hunter J.

- No Misty, however this wasn't entirely unexpected. Even back when DP first started, I believed it to be unlikely for her to appear, given all the things people were saying sounded like bad fanfiction.

No you didnt,during course of DP i remember you used to claime how you have no doubt about Misty appearing at Pallet town and how its possible that she returns somewhere in Sinnoh too.
Also in case you didnt noticed majority of her fanbase was surprised she didnt returned at all.

Also if we exclude personal bias from both sides there were some legit reasons for which Misty could have been brought back like for water tournament to make step forward regarding her ultimate goal(even ex pokemon director mrentioned posibillity for it),coming to catch new water type along with helping Ash and group against Hunter J like Gary did or Team Galactic,to showcase 5th generation new water type informing Ash about Isshu etc.
Excuses like coming back for Togekiss were one of less valid ones.

Reasons existed,its just writers decided to ignore her.

- May could have stayed for one more episode, either before or after the Wallace Cup. Lyra got an extra episode over May, which seems odd to me.

May appeared for 4 episodes competing in contest event which was hosted by Wallace who has biggest rank someone could achieve as coordinator(being contest master).
Many other characters werent that lucky,so i cant complain about this.

A lot of the characters not appearing, or not appearing enough times, is what I would have changed about Sinnoh.

I think its odd how some characters barely appeared over the course of DP:

- Gary only gets 3 appearances? WTF was even the point of bringing him back into the show in the first place?

YES. Ugh, I got so excited when I found out they were bringing back Gary and he only got three effing appearances. I hate the writers sometimes.

- Nando...really what was up with this. You introduce a guy in the 4th episode of a series, play him up as a rival for both Ash and Dawn, and then he disappears for 150+ episodes? What the hell?

Meh. I found Nando a pretty pointless character, but they could have had him shown up more than they did.

- Kenny seemed kinda pointless overall, looking back. Its like he was only really there to give Prinplup some screentime and a small shipping focus.

IMO, Kenny should never even have existed. I would have been fine with just Zoey and Ursula as Dawn's rivals.

- Ursula should have been there at the start. Only 5 episodes for her... :(

Absolutely.

- Conway could have appeared maybe once or so out of his arcs.

Ditto.

- Holly disappears? What the hell? Its almost as if the writers purposely made sure to keep Brock out of the spotlight as much as possible.

I didn't really care for Holly, but having her show up at LEAST one more time would have made sense.

- No Misty, however this wasn't entirely unexpected. Even back when DP first started, I believed it to be unlikely for her to appear, given all the things people were saying sounded like bad fanfiction. Not surprised she didn't, but they could have shown some characters watching Ash's league on TV at least.

I'm annoyed Misty never made an appearance, considering she used to be one of the main characters of this show after all. But I wasn't really expecting her to show up, either. I always hoped she would, but I had a feeling she wouldn't.

Still...she should have. :/

- May could have stayed for one more episode, either before or after the Wallace Cup. Lyra got an extra episode over May, which seems odd to me.

May staying for another episode would have been nice. She technically got five episodes, but the first one was just a five-second appearance at the end.

- Only 1 Butch/Cassidy appearance?

Rrr. THEY should have appeared more, dammit.

i don't know, but i'd definately get rid of dawn,drew, jesse, and james in DP, and made misty and may return.Also i'd put more ship tease between ash/may and ash/misty just add add more romance to the show and to mess with shippers.

The end of AG hyped Gary up as if he was making this big comeback to the series. Back then, everyone thought Gary was going to have this major role in DP.
Did it? Or was that just fandom hype/pure speculation? What did he do at the end of AG? Showcase a next gen Poke and point Ash toward the Sinnoh Region. That's it. I guess Harrison was supposed to have a major role in AG, eh? Oh wait...
Just because he was in Sinnoh, doesn't mean he was supposed to do anything major. I myself didn't think we'd see him at all to be honest, until towards the end. It was a quite a surprise to see him when we did.
Fast forward 4 years later, and Gary was nothing more than a throw-away character.
Simply because he was only around in a select few eps, that's a reason to look at him as some throw-away character?
Oh wow, Gary got his ass kicked by Saturn
I agree that he should have had a major role in TG's conclusion since he actually was made out to have some big part in that. But hey, at least he was actually there.:XD:
and gave Ash a Razor Fang to evolve Gligar. As if those eps couldn't have been done without him.
So what? It could have also easily been done by Prof. Oak, Cynthia, or Kenny for it all matters. If he didn't have any involvement in that plot, you'd just be complaining that he only got two episodes the whole saga. And better Gary than a CotD, right? Either of those episodes could have been done without him, but why does it matter to you if you already wanted to see more of him anyway?
Nando was treated terribly, we can all agree.
Indeed, we can. But he was just a secondary rival anyway. If we can even call him that, knowing the other rivals for the heroes. Did anyone even expect to see him again after his debut, like Gary? And did anyone expect him to get a lot of focus once he did?
As for Misty, well I figured she wouldn't appear in DP anyway, so it didn't surprise me. It seems most old-school veterans in the fandom knew she was unlikely to appear.
So then why bring her up if you knew she wasn't going to have any direct involvement in DP anyway?
I'm beginning to think you do expect too much from the writers.

Last edited:
Did it? Or was that just fandom hype/pure speculation? What did he do at the end of AG? Showcase a next gen Poke and point Ash toward the Sinnoh Region. That's it. I guess Harrison was supposed to have a major role in AG, eh? Oh wait...

Are you serious? Back when DP was starting, people thought Gary was going to be a major recurring character in Sinnoh. People wanted/expected him to research Dialga/Palkia, be a part of the Galactic plot (which he technically was, only to get KO'd by Saturn in like 5 minutes), and have some role with fossil Pokemon as seen with the Sheldon. People also thought Gary and Paul would meet since they were both in Sinnoh.

You have to remember, this is after Gary had been gone for all 4 years of AG, besides 1 special and the two appearances at the end. After being gone for an entire gen, it really felt like the writers were saying, "Gary's back! And he has an Electrivire and will be traveling in Sinnoh!"

Gary's role in the DP series was a joke. Sure it was nice seeing him I guess, but he played barely any role in the DP eps he was in. In the Gligar ep he only gets about 10 minutes of screentime, and 5 minutes of screentime in the Galactic finale.

So then why bring her up if you knew she wasn't going to have any direct involvement in DP anayway?
I'm beginning to think you do expect too much from the writers.

I'll be honest here, I never for once really thought Misty would appear in Sinnoh. I *did* think she would get a Pallet Town appearance, but that was before we knew Pallet would be in BW1 instead of the last ep of DP.

C'mon, the reasons people were suggesting Misty would appear were ridiculous:

- Misty would reunite with Togetic and it would evolve to Togekiss. This was before we found out Dawn got Togekiss of course, so back then people thought Misty would debut it. Bad fanfiction, how the hell would she reunite with Togetic?

- Misty would train Ash's Buizel. Seriously, WTF? Since when did Misty EVER train Ash's water Pokemon? She trained Squirtle, Totodile or Kingler? Since when?

- Misty and Dawn would meet and would either like and/or hate each other. This is another BS theory that Misty and Dawn would meet simply because this was the, "first girl," and the, "current girl" at the time, and May was the, "middle girl." There were actually some people back when DP first started who thought Misty would appear and May wouldn't. LOL.

- Misty would battle Dawn in a Contest. More BS, the writers would definitely never have Misty enter a contest. That would be ridiculous.

- Misty would show up in the Sinnoh league in person. Oh hey, did people see the Hoenn league? She didn't show up at that league, why would she show up during the Sinnoh league tournament?

- Misty and Paul would battle, and Misty would, "set Paul straight." LMAO. This was such bad fanfiction I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. As if the were really going to resolve Paul's character through Misty! Holy shit.

- Misty would show up training with Wake. Why? Because they're both water Gym leaders? Misty didn't show up at Sootopolis for Juan's Gym, why would she here?

- Misty would show up for a water tournament. This sounded like the most sane idea, but again, the Wallace Cup already focused on Buizel and Piplup. A second would be redundant.

Lastly, I knew Misty and Dawn would never meet. The two characters have nothing in common and were separated by an entire generation. What possible correlation or connection did people see?

Ridiculous?Some yes,but not all.

- Misty would reunite with Togetic and it would evolve to Togekiss. This was before we found out Dawn got Togekiss of course, so back then people thought Misty would debut it. Bad fanfiction, how the hell would she reunite with Togetic?

Not the most logical idea but if writers really wanted to pull it off they could have create another existing portal in Sinnoh in order to make it happen.

[QWUOTE]
- Misty would train Ash's Buizel. Seriously, WTF? Since when did Misty EVER train Ash's water Pokemon? She trained Squirtle, Totodile or Kingler? Since when?[/QUOTE]

Thats called creativity.Instead of criticizing other people ideas i would like to hear with what kind of scenary you would come up instead.

There were actually some people back when DP first started who thought Misty would appear and May wouldn't. LOL.

So?It was their opinion,being entitled to it.

- Misty would battle Dawn in a Contest. More BS, the writers would definitely never have Misty enter a contest. That would be ridiculous.

Actually this isnt ridiculous so much.Take for example Ash or Brock.They have no connections with contests but that didnt stopped writers from having them enter it for a change.Contests arent Misty thing but making exception entering 1 just to see how good she would fare in it wouldnt be anything strange.

If i remember well even ex pokemon director mentioned something about Misty and contests if she cameback but refused to say what he meant with it.

- Misty would show up in the Sinnoh league in person. Oh hey, did people see the Hoenn league? She didn't show up at that league, why would she show up during the Sinnoh league tournament?

Invalid argument.You cant base future outcomes on past situations trying to find some logical meaning behind it.In case of this becoming reality it would mean how writers wanted to do something different with Ashs league bringing older characters for support.

We could ask ourselves same question about Garty.If he never appeared in Hoenn what was the point of bringing him back in Sinnoh?
Or about Jessibelle.They had plenty opportunities to bring her in Johto or Hoenn,even BF but instead they left her nelected for years just to hve her suddenly pop in DP.

- Misty and Paul would battle, and Misty would, "set Paul straight." LMAO. This was such bad fanfiction I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. As if the were really going to resolve Paul's character through Misty! Holy shit.

Not likely i admit,but nontheless i wouldnt complain if it happened.

- Misty would show up training with Wake. Why? Because they're both water Gym leaders? Misty didn't show up at Sootopolis for Juan's Gym, why would she here?

Again trying to find some sense by basing situation on past events.Completely invalid way to refute someones idea because writers break patterns often.

Its not logical,but your counterargument isnt valid either.

- Misty would show up for a water tournament. This sounded like the most sane idea, but again, the Wallace Cup already focused on Buizel and Piplup. A second would be redundant.

We had 8 gyms in Sinnoh,several contests and repeat of competitions like pkeringer and people didnt finded it being redundant.
Second water based competition would be anything but similar to WallaceCup since it wouldnt be contest oriented being for trainers with people liking to take break from usual route of gym/contests/training episodes.
This idea was perfectly possible way which was the only scenary we heard from pokemon staff so far regarding Mistys possible return so try to find better argument.

Lastly, I knew Misty and Dawn would never meet. The two characters have nothing in common and were separated by an entire generation. What possible correlation or connection did people see?

If characters dont have something in common writers can create something(invent)to form some relation between them.

Are you serious?
Yes, I am. I really didn't expect Gary to have any major part of DP at first if that's what you mean. I'm sorry for being in the minority.:goof:
Back when DP was starting, people thought Gary was going to be a major recurring character in Sinnoh. People wanted/expected him to research Dialga/Palkia, be a part of the Galactic plot (which he technically was, only to get KO'd by Saturn in like 5 minutes), and have some role with fossil Pokemon as seen with the Sheldon.
Allow me to put emphasis on the bold and underline again. It looks like you have just answered my question: It was nothing but fandom speculation. You and other fans are disapointed because the show did not meet your expectations. But the fact remains, there is no evidence that the writers intended to give Gary a larger role than what he got. That was my point in the first place.
People also thought Gary and Paul would meet since they were both in Sinnoh.
I admit that I was hoping this would happen as well. I guess you deserve a +1 for this point. Still, it may not have happened because the writers didn't intend for it to happen.
You have to remember, this is after Gary had been gone for all 4 years of AG, besides 1 special and the two appearances at the end. After being gone for an entire gen, it really felt like the writers were saying, "Gary's back! And he has an Electrivire and will be traveling in Sinnoh!"
Which he did. But apparently his screentime wasn't enough for you.
Gary's role in the DP series was a joke. Sure it was nice seeing him I guess, but he played barely any role in the DP eps he was in. In the Gligar ep he only gets about 10 minutes of screentime, and 5 minutes of screentime in the Galactic finale.
It was only a joke by fandom standards. But if he was only meant to have a small role in the saga, then the writers did there job. I will remind you again that I think that Gary could have and maybe should have had a bit more going for him. But not necessarily by giving him more appearances. Simply give more more screentime and focus in the Team Galactic are without overshadowing the main characters (and not make him go out like a wimp), a meeting with Paul, and perhaps a cameo watching Ash compete in the Sinnoh League. Otherwise, he was really handled more or less just fine. Nando may have been handled somewhat poorly compared to other rivals, but by his own merit, he all right really. As I said, he was only a minor rival and didn't need to get so much focus. Sometimes it's best to just look at the characters for who each one is and not expect too much from them. Maybe the writers shouldn't give the heroes so many rivals. In any case, Try not to get too hyped up for any character and then be dissapointed if you don't get what you want.
I'll be honest here, I never for once really thought Misty would appear in Sinnoh.
Yet you mention her in your list of characters that you wanted to see more of anyway. Okay...
*snip*
I suppose this is the reason you brought her up. Because others have. And yes, this is Misty rage fanboism at it's worst.

If I wrote sinnoh, I'd have almost all of ashes Pokémon evolve right now. I'd also prevent him from getting a Chimchar.

I now get the feeling DP was a, "last hurrah" for many of the shows older characters.

Wobbufett's last saga, Brock is finally gone, the end of Contests in the series, Gary is gone, and May got what is likely her final appearance.

Its just too bad some of Ash's older pokemon didn't even get much of a return. Muk and Glalie did literally nothing, they only got still-screens. WTF.

Dear god, I lol'ed hard at this.

At any rate, if I wrote Sinnoh:

Ash would win the League, and lose at some point in the Elite 4.
Barry would have appeared more often.
Dawn would have won the Sinnoh GF.
Kenny would never have existed, and gotten replaced by a more intimating Ursula.
Brock would have been replaced with someone.
Ash/Paul would have been the finals of the SL.
Ash would have battle Barry in the semi-finals of the SL.
Dawn would have never gotten Togekiss, and kept Ambipom.

I think its odd how some characters barely appeared over the course of DP:

- Nando...really what was up with this. You introduce a guy in the 4th episode of a series, play him up as a rival for both Ash and Dawn, and then he disappears for 150+ episodes? What the hell?

- Kenny seemed kinda pointless overall, looking back. Its like he was only really there to give Prinplup some screentime and a small shipping focus.

- Ursula should have been there at the start. Only 5 episodes for her... :(

- Conway could have appeared maybe once or so out of his arcs.

- Holly disappears? What the hell? Its almost as if the writers purposely made sure to keep Brock out of the spotlight as much as possible.

- No Misty, however this wasn't entirely unexpected. Even back when DP first started, I believed it to be unlikely for her to appear, given all the things people were saying sounded like bad fanfiction. Not surprised she didn't, but they could have shown some characters watching Ash's league on TV at least.

- Only 1 Butch/Cassidy appearance?

well i can see why misty wasn't in DP. I can't imagine her getting along with Dawn. Misty will eventually get so annoyed by Dawn that she ends up beating Dawn into a pulp! no offense Dawn fans but that's how I imagine how the two will interact

well i can see why misty wasn't in DP. I can't imagine her getting along with Dawn.

You're right, why would Misty ever get along with a nice girl who loves pokemon, who has self-confidence issues because she feels overshadowed by one or more family member and is working hard to overcome that and be more independant?

Oh wait... she did get along with someone like that.

Seriously, look back at the show and you'll realize Misty only hates with people who are straight up jerks or people who hurt/dislike pokemon or people who are overly arrogant.

None of which applies to Dawn. Therefore, the non-compatibility between Dawn and Misty isn't a reason that the latter didn't appear in Sinnoh. The writers probably felt she wouldn't bring anything to the plot of the series that another character couldn't already fulfill. End of story.

Misty will eventually get so annoyed by Dawn that she ends up beating Dawn into a pulp! no offense Dawn fans but that's how I imagine how the two will interact

You're describing Misty as a violent bitch, why the hell would it offend Dawn fans? There's nothing in the 13 years of the show that supports Misty and Dawn not getting along though I guess that much like the Misty/May relationship, it would be a bit flat.

Urgh... Did I just defended Misty? I feel so unclean all of a sudden.

Oh and for the record, Misty v Dawn in a fistfight... Dawn beats her senseless no question asked :D There's the Gible we all know and love.

And this, people, is exactly why I'm happy Misty and Dawn never met.

The fandom would never tolerate it.

You're right, why would Misty ever get along with a nice girl who loves pokemon, who has self-confidence issues because she feels overshadowed by one or more family member and is working hard to overcome that and be more independant?

Agreed completely,there is no reason for Misty to act violently or lose her temper infront of Dawn.As we could see her character tends to help to those who has selfcnfidence and family issues(like she did with Eevee kid from Kanto,Sakura and her sisters issue,Max and so on)finding things they have in common giving them advice how to overcome them.

She only explode or come on edge when dealing with jerks,villains(Hanson really "pushed her buttons" with whole Togepi thing),or overly arrogant people like Gary used to be in early days or that kid with Flareon from late JOhto.

The writers probably felt she wouldn't bring anything to the plot of the series that another character couldn't already fulfill. End of story.

Though it cant be denied how there were several reasons for which they could have bring Misty in DP.Even if it wouldnt contribute to current plot they could have her return for purpose of advancing one of her unfinished plots(once it already happened).

Honesly i think reason behind her absence is more due to writers writing themselves into a wall by having to many older characters to have them all come in same region,and if trend of character replacing continues things would only be worse for older ones with only posibillity for them to shine being in return to main cast which is unlikely.

There's nothing in the 13 years of the show that supports Misty and Dawn not getting along though I guess that much like the Misty/May relationship, it would be a bit flat.

Personally i liked interaction betwen Misty and May.They builded nice frindship with mix of admiration and gratitude being present between them.

Urgh... Did I just defended Misty? I feel so unclean all of a sudden.

Why?Its refreshing to see you for once saying something positive about her.

Oh and for the record, Misty v Dawn in a fistfight... Dawn beats her senseless no question asked :D There's the Gible we all know and love.

Well you are entitled to your own opinion,but we all know "Misty would be winner in there"(lol).

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom