• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I'm starting to wonder

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Big Al

Meteorologist
Reaction score
As you know shortly after Transformers was released in theaters, Transformers: Animated showed up on our TV's. I'm starting to wonder if the same will happen to Star Trek and G.I. Joe which have movies coming out this year. It wouldn't be a bad thing. Transformers animated took a while but it got its act together. Depending on who does them, new cartoon series could be very good.

Anyway, discuss.

I don't really favor the current style of what is popular with kids. The fast talking, hyper acting, square edged, half-Japanese cartoons in things like Phineas and Ferb, Johny Test, Kim Possible, Transformers Animated, Speed Racer, Sushi Pack... I just don't like it. I've tried very hard to like it, but I just don't.

So I'm generally not very enthusiastic about new cartoon cash-ins like before. However, I guess, if Star Trek turns to be something like the new Clone Wars I can get a little excited.

As you know shortly after Transformers was released in theaters, Transformers: Animated showed up on our TV's. I'm starting to wonder if the same will happen to Star Trek and G.I. Joe which have movies coming out this year. It wouldn't be a bad thing. Transformers animated took a while but it got its act together. Depending on who does them, new cartoon series could be very good.

Anyway, discuss.

A Star Trek cartoon? Possible. A G.I. Joe cartoon? Definitely. In fact, I'm almost certain it's been announced. I KNOW there was an announcement about an online G.I. Joe cartoon last year, coming out...this year...at some point. Not sure if there will be a more kid-friendly one, though.

So I'm generally not very enthusiastic about new cartoon cash-ins like before. However, I guess, if Star Trek turns to be something like the new Clone Wars I can get a little excited.

Agreed, I'm really liking how the Clone Wars series is being handled. It doesn't feel overly diluted just to fit a lower age bracket, and I commend LucasArts. I think the problem with these box office to cartoon transitions is in finding their target audience. I think before the Clone Wars was slated to air, it was having a hard time finding a station that would fit it's target demographic, teens and nostalgics 13-34.

It's so easy to cater to kids since they'll gobble up anything that's too cool for their age group. (And is what I think producers of these cartoon series fall prey to).

That said, considering GI Joe was originally targeted at a young audience, there's no doubt it'll be kidified by whatever odd cartoon palate they're churning out. Star Trek on the other hand, could go either way. There's plenty of legacy in old Star Trek episodes so motivation to do another series may be low, but on the other hand, presenting the early stuff would probably be a welcome addition to the series if it went the way of Clone Wars.

What could help improve image is where these series get broadcast and from what I've been reading, Star Wars the Clone Wars is supposed to hitch a ride with TNT February 14th and air every Wednesday after that. If Star Trek made a move like this, seeing it on Sci-Fi, Spike or TNT wouldn't be bad choices. At least they'll be going after more of their target demographic.

Well I know they already had the G.I.Joe Sigma 6 tv show not too long ago. It wouldn't surprise me if they made a newer one but I think the franchise is cursed. After G.I.Joe the Movie DIC took over the series and then sunk it.Despite many attempts there hasn't been a successful G.I.Joe cartoon since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom