• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Impossible type combinations?

Seba

Reaction score
Which type combinations are never going to happen in your opinion?

You might come back to this thread when some new Pokémon are revealed...

Fire/Ice...

wait...

Off the top of my head, I think that they have all been done. All I can think is a fighting ghost.

I think GF will be able to pull anything off, so I wouldn't say anything is impossible. But something like Water/ Fire is very unlikely.

Saying that...sunkern was Fire/Grass wasnt it?

...Fairy (XY) and Ghost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saying that...sunkern was Fire/Grass wasnt it?

...Fairy (XY) and Ghost.
Sunkern was pure Grass

Fairy type also hasnt been confirmed real yet.

I dont see anything as really being "impossible" yet. I find something like Fire/Water kind of a stretch, but not completely ruling it out.

I think GF will be able to pull anything off, so I wouldn't say anything is impossible. But something like Water/ Fire is very unlikely.

Underwater volcanoes exist, why not a Pokemon that lives in that kind of environment, turning out to be fire/water? We already have Scald, which is a water move which can inflict burn.

@AntimatterAsh
No, every single type combination has not been made yet, and certainly not Ice/Fire. If you're thinking of White Kyurem, it's pure ice, but yes, the concept is there. Though, Ice/Fire could easily be made into a Pokemon, other franchises have had characters master both elements (e.g., Twinrova and Fraaz from Zelda), particularly if their power is to control temperature.

I doubt there may be a Fire/Grass Pokémon. It's tricky to pull off.

Is there a Ghost Normal type?

Why don't you try looking it up yourself before asking? It's not that hard to search the type on Bulbapedia, and then use the CTRL+F function to search for the second type to see if a Pokemon has that combination.

There are volcanic plants, and chili peppers.

I think GF is very aware and knows pretty much how to come up with something for virtually any type, even probably having several designs saved for them. Ultimately, the type combinations that get or not used aren't because of just how would such a pokémon be designed, but whether if these designs would fit the game they are working on or not.

Hence why there are so many of particular typings, they tend to build worlds that encourage such types, while more exotic designs are trickier to place in a game, but not necesarialy to come up with. (Heck, I'd think at this rate it's easier to come with crazy over-the-top stuff than early bird #8)

Flying/Fighting type. I can't seem them pulling off a sky-fighting Pokemon.

If GF can pull off a Bug+Fire (a combination I thought impossible) then certainly they could find some kind of inspiration for a Water+Fire (Greek fire? Undersea volcano?). It could actually be a very useful combination to have, supereffective STABs against seven elements, only weak to Rock/Ground/Electric (and the first two are readily countered)....

There are volcanic plants, and chili peppers.

That could work if they can pull it off.

Remembered someone else mentioned Ghost/Fighting. It's not impossible, but my best guess is a ghost of a deceased fighter or something to that effect.

Can't think of how Normal/Ghost can be pulled off, though...

Remembered someone else mentioned Ghost/Fighting. It's not impossible, but my best guess is a ghost of a deceased fighter or something to that effect.

Can't think of how Normal/Ghost can be pulled off, though...
Smogon's Revenankh, which pretty much is that + mummy design

Normal/Ghost... Either something both alive and dead (Schrödinger's cat? some non-conventional undead?) or something that bridges the living and dead (Grim Reaper?)

Flying/Fighting type. I can't seem them pulling off a sky-fighting Pokemon.
Valkyrie. Perhaps a Gryphon to some extent.

If GF can pull off a Bug+Fire (a combination I thought impossible) then certainly they could find some kind of inspiration for a Water+Fire (Greek fire? Undersea volcano?). It could actually be a very useful combination to have, supereffective STABs against seven elements, only weak to Rock/Ground/Electric (and the first two are readily countered)....

I think that would be overpowered

I don't think there's a single type combo that can't be made into a Pokemon of some sort. The first folder on this page has ideas for every unused type combo, for example.

That would depend on the exact stats and moveset.

That would depend on the exact stats and moveset.

Well, I guess, they could make it borderline useless as well :D

The only type combination I can see that makes zero sense and therefore difficult, if not impossible, to pull off (not that I doubt GF may try to pull it off) is Fire/Ice. How could a Pokemon control both extreme heat and freezing cold simultaneously? Maybe if it were able to freely change its internal temperature at will, but that sounds more like changing its type, rather than being both types, if anything to me.

Even Water/Fire makes more sense to me, as mentined. Because at least then the Poke could just be able to shoot boiling water or something (Scald, anyone?).

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom