• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

In Game Pokemon: do you choose because you like them or they're 'strong'?

My team atm is Serperior, Seviper, Charizard, Salamence, Aggron, and Crawdaunt... so....

I tend to have Pokemon that I like in my party. Although, it tends to be a combination of what I like and how 'strong' they are.

The Pokemon I choose are the ones that I like; I figure I can bring out their inner strength via EV training. Hey, most wouldn't consider Golett a powerhouse but give me a couple of hours to train one and you may be surprised.

Ofcourse I choose what I like~ Who wouldn't? I mean, even those who choose strong Pokemon over others still like those Pokemon. (For their strengths, atleast haha)

I used Minun in my Emerald team and she became one of my best. I use Flygon because it's one of my favourites. I've used Buneary in my Diamond-I love its moveset~ I've completed games with unevolved Pokemon, such as Totodile, Flaaffy and Togetic, just fine!I've never evolved an Ivysaur. My Raichu has beaten a Tyrannitar by himself. Sometimes I prefer not evolving Pokemon just because it's more fun and challenging, especially if I prefer the design. I've even used a Pidgey (named Fethadust) in PBR. Ahhh, the good times.
But all Pokemon are cool, except for you, Jynx.

o.<;;

I have even chosen my competitive team because I like them-such as Kecleon and Zoroark. But I would definitely keep Zoroark as a Zorua in game~
To be honest, I much prefer battling those who use their favourites. c: Good on them~

I used to just catch and raise the ones I like, not really caring about the stats and stuff, and then my friend got into competitive battling and told me about Smogon... but anyways, now I'm back to raising the ones I like, I don't really care much for competitive battling anymore, as long as I can beat the NPCs and wild Pokémon, I don't really care how strong my team is against other people's.

I usually just try to cram as many types as possible into one team. I don't pay attention to stats much, unless a Pokemon is famous (or infamous) for being very good (or bad) in a certain stat. Then I try to make the most of that, such as my Slowpoke, who knows Curse.

For the most part, I don't really care too much about how "good" a Pokemon is, so my team is assembled from Pokemon I like with a large enough type spread. It's only really if I notice that a Pokemon is significantly not pulling its weight compared to others that I start to consider usability over personal preference.

I just use my favorites, but other else I choose what I don't usually use; and I prefer not using legendaries.

I tend to use Pokemon that I always use. Fortunately though you can always start a new game and try something new.

I think the best Pokemon games are the originals, mainly because I am 22 and that is what I grew up with. So I use a Nidoking, Snorlax, Charizard, Alakazam, Gengar, Arcanine, or Articuno every single chance I get. Being a Pokemon fan as hard core as I am I let my Pokemon represent me. :)

A mix of both. I use the best available ones in the first playthrough but experiment more in subsequent playthroughs.

Strength doesn't matter in games in the slightest, so I just pick and use Pokemon I like. Seriously, strength in-game doesn't mean crap. I beat Drake's Salemence with a Petal Dancing Bellossom that somehow survived some Flamethrowers in a row. I even used a Corsola during one play through. Overall, when it comes to competitive battling my choices vary. But I see no reason to be stingy in-game.

I once went through an entire playthrough of SoulSilver with a Sunflora.

Yeah....

I only ever use Pokémon I like. Often this leaves me with glaring weaknesses to one particular type, but I get by it by giving my Pokémon versatile movesets and as clever a strategy as I can think of.

I choose cards, and would chose if I could afford the games, based on Pokemon that I like over strength. I get frowned on by trading card game experts everywhere. I find victory more fun when I like my team.

I couldn't care less about strength, as I'm not a competitive battler. I try to use new Pokemon each time I start a new file. If I used the same ones over and over, I would have never loved Ferrothorn, Lanturn, Lapras, etc. as much as I do today.

Several rules I always stick to when building in game team:

1 Have gender
2 Can evolve without having to be traded
3 Above 450 base stat when maximally evolved

So I think it's a mix of both, they are usually relatively strong at least in terms of stats. Then I like them because they feel more like raising a normal creature that has gender and can grow up.

Last edited:
I like all Pokémon, so I use all and any Pokémon, picking the ones I'm in the mood for atm.

Most of the Pokemon I like are good competitively. One exception is Serperior, I love that snake to death. A combination of Swords Dance, Leaf Blade, Aqua Tail and Outrage is pretty scary in-game.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom