• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

News Interview with John Loeffler: season 15 theme song revealed

"So we proceeded to transform the soundtrack of this...of the Pokemon that was just basic instrumental music that was created in Japan, and we created this extravagant, really lush score for the...underscore for the cartoon show. And since it's anime, and since the style of the anime is pretty flat, we decided to compensate for that by making the music very dramatic and using a lot of instruments to make it sound lush and big which would kind of then enhance the lack of animation depth."
Why are the dub people so full of themselves? First Zoppi claiming his bullshit was so much better and funnier than the "boring" Japanese version, now this.... ARE THEY COMPLETE IDIOTS?

Gen 6 isn't coming in 2013. They still have the final two BW Pokemon that year and third versions and remakes.
Really? Because if BW is three years long, that means its ending in Autumn 2013, and if that series ends then, that must mean that Gen VI starts then as the anime always runs alongside the games. Pokemon Grey will probably come out this year in Japan on the DS because of that, and I expect the RS remakes won't come out until Gen VI as well seeing as it's a bit stupid to do a remake of a game just one system up (GBA-3DS is a much bigger jump than GBA-DS). But frankly, I have no idea when Meloetta and Genesect will make a movie appearance, as there'll probably be a Gen VI Pokemon in it as well, unless we have all three in one movie.

Really? Because if BW is three years long, that means its ending in Autumn 2013, and if that series ends then, that must mean that Gen VI starts then as the anime always runs alongside the games. Pokemon Grey will probably come out this year in Japan on the DS because of that, and I expect the RS remakes won't come out until Gen VI as well seeing as it's a bit stupid to do a remake of a game just one system up (GBA-3DS is a much bigger jump than GBA-DS). But frankly, I have no idea when Meloetta and Genesect will make a movie appearance, as there'll probably be a Gen VI Pokemon in it as well, unless we have all three in one movie.

You've forgot about the idea of a filler saga similar to Orange Islands, so there's still hope for a Genesect film.

Gen 6 isn't coming in 2013. They still have the final two BW Pokemon that year and third versions and remakes.

The final two Pokemon are not important enough to get their own separate movies. For all we know, they could even introduce one in the anime. This isn't Arceus we are dealing with afterall. Though them both being in one movie is very possible imo.

Remakes are nothing more than fans wanting them. They don't have to do remakes at all, but if they do it will most likely be next gen. No point in dragging out gen 5 on the DS when gen 6 can smoothly transition over on the 3DS.

The only thing that needs to happen is Grey, and with how fast paced BW is going and the third version likely coming out this year with all the Kyurem focus, the BW series and 5th generation as a whole will be shorter.

Last edited:
Wow...he really is cocky when it comes to the Japanese soundtrack. Also, all the Pikachu's Jukebox songs were written in 3 weeks? Yeah, it shows.

^ This. The only oddity is Meloetta and Genesect; but Victini was unveiled months before the movie, so they don't have to give each of them a movie. However, they could easily unveil Meloetta towards the end of this year, have Genesect next February and have 2013's movie featuring them both, then use the BW TV series to promote Gen VI (a reverse of Gen V's situation at the end of DP).

This whole thing, if true, seems to support my idea of Gen VI in 2013.

Has anyone forgot about something called a filler saga from my last post? This will give Game Freak enough time to get use to the 3DS's control schemes for Gen VI so it won't end up like DP.

Interesting about the new theme song, my ears shall be pricked up for it.

"So we proceeded to transform the soundtrack of this...of the Pokemon that was just basic instrumental music that was created in Japan, and we created this extravagant, really lush score for the...underscore for the cartoon show. And since it's anime, and since the style of the anime is pretty flat, we decided to compensate for that by making the music very dramatic and using a lot of instruments to make it sound lush and big which would kind of then enhance the lack of animation depth."

Dramatic, really? When I watch the dub, with its music, at quite a few times, its music doesn't rise to occasion of tension, or a climatic moment at all. It doesn't cause excitement, unlike how I feel watching it with the original Japanese music; it's just underwhelming, to be frank.
Also, this compensation with "extravagant, dramatic lush music" (which I can't say I think it is) can be quite unfitting at times, in my opinion.

Last edited:
El_ said:
Not really, the BW series move much faster that DP. Its comparable to the original Kanto series in its pacing imo.

Wow, that wasn't my point at all. I was talking about how the lack of knowledge of how long a saga will last for resulted in a long gap between gyms that probably wouldn't have occurred if the writers knew how long DP was going to last for. Whether or not BW is faster paced than DP has nothing to do with this.

"we decided to compensate for that by making the music very dramatic and using a lot of instruments"

I'll stop you right there for a long minute, John. Lots of instruments? The only instrument that you and Corallo used is a FREAKING SYNTHESIZER! You only use samples in the synthesizer to make it sound like you are using lots of instruments. I am a music student and I can obviously tell the sound difference between an acoustic authentic instrument and a synthesized instrument. And another thing, I think you only composed about 10 or 15 tracks before Pokemon aired in the US and did nothing else what so ever (other than the dub soundtracks of the first three movies). Throughout the dub's 13 year run (specifically Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh), we kept hearing the same 10-15 Kanto dub tracks over and over and OVER AND OVER AGAIN! The variety of your musical score is lost and the japanese bgm for the dubs of late johto, hoenn, and Sinnoh were almost completely non existent (Only 5 of the Sinnoh dub episodes had all of the music intact). We know that you guys have the rights to use ALL of the original music. So WHY NOT USE IT?! Are you too cheap to pay the rights to use the music (Despite the fact that you co-run a franchise that makes MILLIONS!)? Why can't you secure more money to use more of the original BGM JUST LIKE 99% of the other english dubs?! WHY?!! WHY?!! WHY?!!!!

*sigh* My apologies. I really wanted to get that out of my system.

Last edited:
You know what else I find ironic? Loeffler actually referred to TPCI by its former U.S. name (skip to 12:14 in the interview). I can understand if less informed consumers on the internet or people no longer affiliated with the franchise were unaware (or just overlooked) the Pokemon USA/UK merge three years ago. But I expect somebody who's been working with the company for this long to actually know about its current name by now.

I get that any person with credentials that works on performance art in some aspect would value their own work, even if others don't. Everyone's entitled to that. But don't go around insulting other people's work in place of your own.

My prediction is probably correct, Best Wishes will be a year shorter because there won't be Ruby and Sapphire remakes (despite me wanting them).

*sigh* My apologies. I really wanted to get that out of my system.

Wow. Why weren't YOU asking the questions?

You know, when Dragon Ball Z Kai had its soundtrack changed from its score by Kenji Yamamoto to the one by Shunsuke Kikuchi for the first DBZ Anime before the last three Episode were released in Japan, the English dub on Nicktoons had stopped before Episode 64 (where Androids 17 and 18 are activated by Dr. Gero) and on Toonzai was in the middle of the Namek saga. That meant that all subsequent episodes that had yet to air or be released on DVD stateside had to be replaced with Kikuchi's music (before Japan would for past Episodes, mind you). The irony was that an English dub was replace Japanese music... with other Japanese music. Even 4kids complied. 4KIDS! No synth music to "appeal" to kids either. It's a funny ol' world, ain't it?

I wonder if John making music for dub is to return the feeling of original series, kinda how like BW doesn't use old Pokémon or old music, at least frequently[Like say, "As long as I can hold my breath..." aka the unoffical theme song of Goukazaru(no, I am still not over it. Yes, even after a new saga, I am not over it. Deal with it)]; and made Psychic and Ghost-type centric fillers nearly as weird as original series episodes featuring them, except with far more grasp about their capablities instead doing whatever the hell they wanted, and many more examples that are not on top of my head and would probably turn this thread into more of a clusterfuck.

Even if we get a filler saga, and only League is for three years, that would still bad news for most rivals, whose points are to be League opponents. I think I have nothing to say besides hope for those guys to start reappearing in some form in next 20 or so episodes.

Because John will say anything to defend TPCi and himself.

This wouldn't be so bad if he actually had the creditability to back up his claims. I'll admit his vocal songs for 4kids were good (usually on their own) but the instrumental BGM... well, everyone has said it better than I could've.

Personally, I'm not really bothered by that guy's comments about the music. Its not a crime to dislike the japanese music or anything, and its not surprising that he would be happy about his own work. He's not going to say anything like "oh the music we wrote was just mediocre and we didn;t really try, we were just cashing a paycheck". And if I understand it, its not his decision to replace the music, his company was just hired to do the job that the dubbers wanted. And actually...I have to wonder if he's even heard the original music.

He 's free to hype himself all he wants. But there's no reason to talk shit about the other version in the process. I doubt *he'd* appreciate it if Mr. Miyazaki described his work as "just basic instrumental music."

John revealed some more information on the upcoming fifteenth dub season and something else.

According to the interview:
* Best Wishes will be a three-years series.
* Theme song of Pokémon season 15 will be called "Rival Destinies".

But...

But what's the NAME of the series?

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom