• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is it possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

Groudon

User Title
Reaction score
What if Pokemon X and Y were rated higher than E (Or the equivalent in your area)? I know Pokemon has been rated E since the beginning but I believe Game Freak should make the games more mature for older fans. The number of older fans has increased and I think Game Freak should realize this. Also, children would still buy it. Have you seen how many 10-year olds buy M rated games? The anime could go a different route but that's besides the point.

EDIT: Is it* possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?
And just so you know, I am hoping for more complex story lines (That childeren wouldn't understand.) and perhaps a little bit more fantasy violence but, none of that M-rated or T rated stuff, just as high as E 10+.

Last edited:
Re: Is possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

I highly doubt it. Pokemon is made for children and I think raising the rating might make some parents uncomfortable buying it for their kids. Although Pokemon has had more in depth plots( like in BW) it remained rated E, and I dont see that changing anytime soon.

I doubt that they'd do anything like that for a main series game like X and Y.

It would be interesting to see a E10+ or higher rated non main series Pokémon game in the future for the older fans.

I worked for gamestop for about five years, I didn't see very many people younger then ten ever buying the games. I'm not saying make it T, that'd be too far, but E10+ would be a pretty cool move for Pokemon. It'd allow for just a bit more maturity.

That'd be great, especially for us, the older fans, but Pokemon is mainly aimed towards children, plus we all know GF likes playing safe. So no, I doubt it.

You know, it is entirely possible to make something "mature" while still keeping it appropriate for children, as long as the definition of mature you're using isn't "extra vulgarity and edginess for no real reason". Which is something I damn well hope the Pokemon games never do, by the way.

Yeah, I don't think that Pokemon needs the people swearing, having sex, and shooting each other for it to be better. I think that E is fine for it.

I highly doubt main series Pokemon games will ever be rated higher than E, honestly almost anything that physically says Pokemon on it and is approved by the company would probably be E but you never know.

Its mainly been E. E10 would be interesting. But T would cut into sales and approval by parrents since pokemon has been known for being an E game

No, there's no reason to. The plot was a bit more mature in BW2 when Ghetsis tried to kill you, but at the end of the day the games are just about catching and battling little monsters, there's nothing graphic and I doubt there ever will be.

Like Ninja-Mage said, hardly anyone under 10 buys the game though the younger kids would go to Toys R Us. Also, parents do not pay enough attention to the ratings. (They only look for guns and stuff like that.) A more mature game might actually bring more sales to the game. It would not be considered a ''childish'' anymore. (People who are ashamed to play Pokemon would no longer have to be.) Like I said above the anime could take a different route. (Less children watch the anime or so I think.)
However, what could be done to make it E 10+? I do not want "extra vulgarity and edginess for no real reason" but perhaps more emotional scenes for the plot. Or an actual attempt to murder you. (Not what Ghetsis did to you or what Bowser tries to do to Mario.)

However, what could be done to make it E 10+? I do not want "extra vulgarity and edginess for no real reason" but perhaps more emotional scenes for the plot. Or an actual attempt to murder you. (Not what Ghetsis did to you or what Bowser tries to do to Mario.)

The first one is no reason to raise the age rating on a game. The second one has no reason to happen- if the player needs to be the subject of a murder attempt, something in the vein of Ghetsis's attempt is all that's needed.

The first one is no reason to raise the age rating on a game. The second one has no reason to happen- if the player needs to be the subject of a murder attempt, something in the vein of Ghetsis's attempt is all that's needed.

What if the emotional part is about death? (Like if you were actually to see Team Rocket kill Marowak. (7-year olds would cry if they say that and it would classify under more fantasy violence.) What if you actually got injured in the attempted murder? (Not that I would actually want to see another attempted murder.)

For reference this is what ERSB says about E and E 10+.
EVERYONE
Content is generally suitable for all ages. May contain minimal cartoon, fantasy or mild violence and/or infrequent use of mild language.

EVERYONE 10+
Content is generally suitable for ages 10 and up. May contain more cartoon, fantasy or mild violence, mild language and/or minimal suggestive themes.

I don't think Pokemon X and Y will be rated higher than E. Game Freak has remained consistent with the content that players get exposed to in the games, so I feel they aren't planning to make any changes there.

It won't go above E 10+ I can guarantee that.

At least the Pokémon X and Y could recieve from E (Everyone) to T (Teen) depending on content. Mario Strikers Charged was the first Mario game to receive a T rating.

I honestly don't see any need for an increase in needless violence, vulgarity, or sexual themes in the games, as I believe that introducing these things will reduce the ability we have to fill them in with our imagination. Personally I feel that the total absence of these things allows us to read between the lines much more than if they were more spelled out for us. But that might just be me.

I personally won't mind the increase rating but the only way that pokemon will get anything above a E-Rating if Gamefreak makes pokemon games explicity for the older fans but the chances of it happening is extremely slim in the foreseeable future

I believe down here in Australia D/P were rated PG due to the gambling references with those slot machines. (I'm not 100% sure, though.)

I would personally like to see some slightly more emotionally mature scenes as present in B2/W2 (with Ghetsis trying to kill the PC) make an appearance in X/Y, but it could deterr some parents from buying their children the games.

I honestly don't see any need for an increase in needless violence, vulgarity, or sexual themes in the games.

Personally, when I think of something more "mature" or handled is a deeper and more meaningful manner thats not what comes to mind for me. For me, something thats more mature is like how Bianca's development was handled in Black & White 1. Her father being afraid of her stepping into the world, what she might see because of it and what may happen is a very real and adult concern. Also, things like Cheren finding his place and the first Team Plasma plot and things concerning N.

As for violence, I'm pretty certain Hugh punched that Team Plasma member in the face in BW2 near Driftveil City XD (Or at least I imagine it that way) Then yeah, theres Ghetsis ordering Kyurem to Glaciate the PC.

Thing is, they really could have something more "complex" overall without sexual themes (the Ferris Wheel dates had some funny innuendos though), needless violence, and vulgarity. Just my opinion, but maturity to me is something thats handled in a more thoughtful manner. Realism can also be had without the darker and edgier aspects usually compared with it.

Overall, I hope that X & Y pick up on where the original B & W started off, and offers something more complex to the series.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom