• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is Pokemon Getting Weird?

Link Snivy

Reaction score
My cousin got me into Pokemon a year ago and he has been playing since he was 5 years old. Now he's 16 and I'm 13 and he doesn't want to play it anymore because he says it'd ruining his childhood memories since they're "fusing" Pokemon together or whatever is going on with Black Kyurem and White Kyurem. He says he wishes they would just cancel Pokemon so they don't ruin the legacy or whatever. I disagreed but he said that any veteran player like him would agree that they should, so i want to know if what he says is true...anybody?

There are a lot of people who'd agree with him. There are also a lot of people who'd disagree with him. This goes regardless of whether someone's a veteran player or not. I've been playing since the RBY days and I'm still enjoying every Generation.

This is, in fact, one of the most well-known traits, for better or worse, of the Pokémon fandom. Ask anyone in it and they'll be able to give you countless recollections of older fans complaining that the newer games aren't as good, or that the newer generations are somehow "ruining" the older ones, or (my personal favorite) that the only real Pokémon are the first 151. But there are just as many fans who'd say the exact opposite is true.

I think most of us - actually, I feel safe enough to say "all of us" - here can attest to the fact that there's a huuuge number of Pokémon fans who have trouble getting over their own nostalgia.

I'm a veteran player, since Pokemon Blue, and I definitely disagree. Honestly, the original 151 Pokemon are my least favorite, LOL.

I'll never understand why people get mad when the new games are different, because it's not like you can't go back and play the old ones. They'll always be the same as you remember them. But to keep a series fresh, new approaches have to be taken. Nobody wants to play the same thing time in and time out.

Ugh, more over nostalgic people that think the original generation is the best for pretty much no reason other than nostalgia and shit. >.<

And him saying that fusing Pokemon together is stupid is a pretty hypocritical statement to make. I mean, look at Dugtrio. And Magneton.

And him saying that fusing Pokemon together is stupid is a pretty hypocritical statement to make. I mean, look at Dugtrio. And Magneton.

that is exactly wat i said but"no" he said "its not the same"

Wuts wrong with nostalgic people?

I love feelings of nostalgia! But in good doses. When you wear a protective coating over your eyes that blinds you from anything new, then we kinda have a problem :\

I've been playing since Pokémon Red and Blue first hit the shelves, and I love the new generations. I have nothing but the purest nostalgia for the "old days" of Pokémon and gladly revisit the classic games when I feel like reliving it, but I have the most fun discovering all the new things the franchise has to offer as it continues to grow and evolve (heh, see what I did there?). Part of what kept my love for Pokémon alive all these years is the fact that the franchise has changed so much and yet still managed to keep that basic winning formula that made the originals so fun. It's always got new tricks up its sleeve but it's still, unmistakably, the same RPG I fell in love with almost two decades ago. It's stayed fresh without ever leaving its roots, and not many games can claim that.

Difference between Digimon and Pokemon fusion is that Game Freak created an entire mythology behind the Pokemon that will fuse just so its believable. Really, they aren't fusing so much as getting closer to its original form. If your cousin can't see that, it's his problem.

Really, you'd think he'd be more annoyed with introducing superficial formes in new games for the sole purpose of maximizing differences between the old and the new, and not actually doing anything. Honestly, if he played B/W, the fusion shouldn't even be that big of a shock given what they explicitly told us about the Original Dragon.

the games to me are not wierd. it is the anime and cast who i think is making the series wierd. After RSE ive noticed that more of the gym leaders i thought were haveing a more wierd design. for example in DP maylene i thought was very weird same with Dawn. in BW elsea Bianca,Cheren, and skyla were caught on the weird radar. in Bw2 Marlon and Roxie have been the most sucessfull in wierding me out. after seeing all of the visitors in roxies gym in the episodes i was weirded out by their garb. i had to convince myself this was still pokemon. But the number one thing that is wierd is Sabrina in the anime. if you dont find that wierd then you can not be wiereded by ANYTHING

Wuts wrong with nostalgic people?

Because they flame anyone who likes new things.

But I somewhat agree with your friend. Not because I'm a nostalgic person (I like nearly everything Kanto-Sinnoh). I just hate Unova and its Pokemon.

Next time, tell your cousin what he thinks about the recent Zelda and Mario titles just to make sure whether he's only bashing new Pokemon or it's not the only franchise that he's bashing, because he may have problems in terms of the mind.

It is a little obnoxious when people say that the old Pokemon were better and everything new sucks, but it can also be bothersome when people think that when you dislike something from a new generation, it's because you're blinded by nostalgia goggles. I'm honestly not too crazy about Gens IV or V, but it's not because of nostalgia. They just don't appeal to me as much as Gen II did. Not trying to imply that those gens were bad, mind you.

The Pokemon franchise has always been, and always will be considered "weird", but I prefer to use the term "unique" rather than "weird".

Being a Pokemon fan for over 10 years, I have continually supported the progression and evolution of the franchise, even if there have been a few things here and there they have done that I don't particularly like. This person is one of those "old school" Pokemon fans, the kind of fans that practically worship the earlier generations (specifically the first gen and ONLY the first gen), and bash on everything after that. These people should know that if they did not add more Pokemon after the original 151, the franchise wouldn't still be continuing today.

I'm a veteran player, since Pokemon Blue, and I definitely disagree. Honestly, the original 151 Pokemon are my least favorite, LOL.

I'll never understand why people get mad when the new games are different, because it's not like you can't go back and play the old ones. They'll always be the same as you remember them. But to keep a series fresh, new approaches have to be taken. Nobody wants to play the same thing time in and time out.

I do agree with you on that, I've been playing since R/S came out, and other than a few individual Pokemon, I don't like most of the Pokemon from the first two generations, almost all my favorite Pokemon are from Gen 4 and 5.

The series cannot continue if it doesn't try new things, these kind of fans simply heavily dislike any change to something, no matter how big or small the change is.

I'm a veteran fan, and I don't think PKMN is getting "weird" to the point where it's "destroying my childhood". It's just moving forward, like any other show would. If anything, it just keeps getting better! I mean, Look at me. my favorite PKMN is Buizel, a 4th generation Pokemon! :p

Indeed, I've been around since day 1, too, and only see that Pokemon only continues to get better with each passing game. Platinum is the best game in my opinion (translation: it's my favorite durhur) and I enjoyed it WAY more than I ever did Crystal or Yellow. Folks like your cousin just can't admit how much better things have gotten, or they can't admit they were just a trend-follower. Either way, his opinion is just not worth listening to.

If anything, the franchise keeps getting better.
Generation V has the best Pokémon designs up to now. :3

At first, I didn't like the idea of fusing two Pokémon, but it is really well explained, so I don't care much.

And yes, I am playing and watching Pokémon since the 90's, but happily my brain cells were not affected/destroyed by nostalgia.

Same here, not only the original 151, but the Kanto and Johto Pokémon in general, are pretty much boring if compared with the ones from Hoenn, Sinnoh and specially Unova.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom