• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Is SM set before XY?

SerenaToAlola

Reaction score
There is a bagpacker in Kalos that talks about his home region and gives you a strange souvenir. Considering how the souvenir is a Tiki and given the release of SM, I think we can all agree that he is obviously from Alola.

However, something about his speech made me curious. I quote:

1. "The Kalos region is nice and all, but you should really check out my region! We have this town that you wouldn't believe... Ah, never mind. You'll see it in due time."
2. "The Kalos region is nice and all, but you should really check out my region! There's a facility that you wouldn't believe... Ah, never mind. You'll see it in due time."
3. "The Kalos region is nice and all, but you should really check out my region! Our Champion is really something else, I tell you... Ah, never mind. You'll find out in due time."
4. "The Kalos region is nice and all, but let me share something with you from my region. It's really special!" *gives Strange Souvenir*
5. "The Kalos region is nice and all, but you should really check out my region! Where is it, you ask? Well, I can tell you that it's not Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, or even Unova!"

3 really interests me because as we all know, the PC is the first champion of Alola. Could this mean that the XY games are set after SM? Maybe he's just lying but I'm curious because I'm wondering how this squares off with Zygarde's presence in Alola. Please let me know what you think.

SM are set after XY. Sina and Dexio mention the XY protagonist and their friends.

The XY backpacker's remark about a Champion is probably just a small continuity error; they likely wrote that before they'd worked out the specifics of SM and Alola's setting.

In a pinch, you might be able to imagine that he's referring to Kahili - we know that she became an island challenge champion a few years before SM, and she's pretty well-admired.

Last edited:
Sina and Dexio mention the XY protagonist and their friends.
Ah was this when we first met Sina and Dexio? If so I totally forgot >.<

So the thing is even though the people in Kalos thought of Zygarde as some guardian of their lands, something has happened such that Zygarde is no longer Kalos exclusive. In fact, there’s even a more powerful form of Zygarde that Kalos isn’t aware of. I’m really curious to see if they bring this development somewhere else since it’s pretty strange of them to further develop a legendary this much even though the generation it belonged to is already over.

In a pinch, you might be able to imagine that he's referring to Kahili - we know that she became an island challenge champion a few years before SM, and she's pretty well-admired.

I suppose you are right that the champion that he is talking about is the island challenge champion. Which would totally debunk whatever I was thinking of heh.

Ah was this when we first met Sina and Dexio? If so I totally forgot >.<

Indeed it was:

> Dexio: You and your Pokémon are the ultimate team! No doubt about it! This battle reminded me of us in the past...and that group of five young Trainers.

So the thing is even though the people in Kalos thought of Zygarde as some guardian of their lands, something has happened such that Zygarde is no longer Kalos exclusive. In fact, there’s even a more powerful form of Zygarde that Kalos isn’t aware of.

I wouldn't assume that Zygarde's other forms aren't known about by at least some people in Kalos. While it is true that most of the Kalosian public don't seem to know much about any of their region's Legendary Pokémon, that's because they (Xerneas and Yveltal, at least) spend around a thousand years in hibernation, and it's likely that with that kind of sleep schedule, Zygarde doesn't have to do much either, since it's implied to be responsible for regulating those two (perhaps it keeps an eye on things while they're sleeping, but even then, it would rarely have to use its full strength).

But at least one guy, a man in Anistar, seems well-versed in the lore of Xerneas/Yveltal, and in SM, Dexio and Sina display a fair understanding of Zygarde's form gimmick. Even Zygarde's XY Pokédex entries alluded to its Complete Forme:

> When the Kalos region's ecosystem falls into disarray, it appears and reveals its secret power.

I’m really curious to see if they bring this development somewhere else since it’s pretty strange of them to further develop a legendary this much even though the generation it belonged to is already over.

I think it has probably received all the focus that it's going to get. SM gave it enough spotlight and told us all of its main functions and quirks.

But this isn't the first time they've done something like this, at least somewhat - Regigigas was introduced in the Sinnoh region despite the Regi trio being introduced in Hoenn (although contrary to popular belief, I don't think that the Sealed Chamber text in RSE was foreshadowing Regigigas - it seems to correspond to the trios' Pokédex entries, since Regigigas isn't exactly imprisoned in Sinnoh (ORAS actually show that it is quite free to move around)), and in HGSS, it was shown that Arceus has a connection to the Unown and the Ruins of Alph in Johto, and that some Johtonian people still pay tribute to Arceus.

I think it has probably received all the focus that it's going to get. SM gave it enough spotlight and told us all of its main functions and quirks.

Oh man... Well I low key want another Kalos game, if only to see Serena again hehe XD

the artbook for SM mentions that Grimsley's design is "two years later"

Ah so I guess it's BW -2years-> BW2 &XY -2years-> SM?

For reference, Sun and Moon are set a decade after Red/Blue/Yellow/Firered/Leafgreen

Gen I/III (RBY/FRLG/RSE/ORAS)
+3 years
Gen II/IV (GSC/HGSS/DPPt)
+3 years
Gen V (BW)
+2 years
Gen V/VI (BW2/XY)
+2 years
Gen VII (SM)

Even though Wally and Cynthia haven't aged a day since their debuts, but I suspect that's more laziness on the part of the modelers, which is a pity since they updated all the other old faces

For reference, Sun and Moon are set a decade after Red/Blue/Yellow/Firered/Leafgreen

Gen I/III (RBY/FRLG/RSE/ORAS)
+3 years
Gen II/IV (GSC/HGSS/DPPt)
+3 years
Gen V (BW)
+2 years
Gen V/VI (BW2/XY)
+2 years
Gen VII (SM)

Even though Wally and Cynthia haven't aged a day since their debuts, but I suspect that's more laziness on the part of the modelers, which is a pity since they updated all the other old faces
Yeah, if Wally was 10 when he started his journey he should be 20 by the time SM came out!
And Red and Blue are 20 as well, so...

Looking back, the "You'll see it in due time" comment is kinda weird when talking about the champion, as we literally were the first champion in Alola.

Even weirder when you realise there's no way for that character to have said that with any canonical meaning as there was no champion or league in Alola at that point in time.

Unless of course the NPC was in on Kukui's idea of creating Alola's league all along. Ohoho.

Looking back, the "You'll see it in due time" comment is kinda weird when talking about the champion, as we literally were the first champion in Alola.
Maybe the region they were from wasn’t Alola? It’s possible, the souvenir has a very basic design that could be a lot of things.

What if the next game might be set before Sun/Moon with the origin of Z-moves, like they did ORAS set before XY with Mega Evolution, with Rayquaza the first pokemon to evolve without a Mega Stone.

Simple logical conclusion

History of the Pokémon world

Go down to contemporary history

Oh lord, not that fanwanky mess of an article...

They only say "at least" three years because Hugh's sister's Purrloin was stolen five years before B2W2, ergo three years before BW. That has nothing whatsoever to do with the placement of the Gen 4 games.

Of course, there's also the obvious fact that "at least" only indicates a minimum...

Oh lord, not that fanwanky mess of an article...

They only say "at least" three years because Hugh's sister's Purrloin was stolen five years before B2W2, ergo three years before BW. That has nothing whatsoever to do with the placement of the Gen 4 games.

Of course, there's also the obvious fact that "at least" only indicates a minimum...
Hugh's mention of five years, that doesn't determine when a game takes place, only that Plasma's been doing its shtick for longer than we see them in-game

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom