• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is there a reason why people seem to be so hostile here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eredar Warlock

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
I'll admit, I tend to be very blunt about my opinions. I prefer to speak my mind rather than sugarcoat things. Yes, I do come off as a bit rude at times, I know, but I could have been far worse. I don't flame anyone, and I don't intentionally act hostile to anyone else.

And yet for some reason, I get a lot of hostility from the members here. Sure, I was in a cranky mood in the ghost topic. I apologize for that. But there are a couple of other topics where, for some reason, I get treated like a drunk uncle or something.

I don't want to leave these forums. I've already had a good experience with some members by trading on Wifi with them, something I otherwise wouldn't have been able to do.

So...is there any way to remedy?

EDIT: And I just realized that this is likely the wrong forum to discuss this.

people who are rudely outspoken should expect the hostility, I don't know what this is directly about, but usually that is true.

Usually the best way to give your point without coming off as rude you have to consider what the other side of the argument is feeling.

Anyways, I think this isn't the best idea for a topic. These type of topics that come off as being an attention whore, or end up turning embarassing (potentially Hall of Shame bait)... ^_^;;

It's probably a bad idea to talk about in that manner, but taking it as a general topic of "What is so bad about being blunt with people?" is better. (Also, I think this is the right place for this topic ;-))

You're a new poster who is being "very blunt about [his] opinions" and "can come off as a bit rude at times". Of course you're going to get met with hostility! Remedy this by being a bit nicer with your blunt truths, and maybe people will stop being hostile. Constructive criticism, take it or leave it.

I don't know how to reply to this without coming off as wierd or braggy, so I'll simply say thanks.

Alternatively, the people in the ghost thread were just being oversensitive, which is more or less how it felt to me at a glance.

Arcane, I think you're fine. It's rare we get a new person that doesn't suck at life in my opinion. It's the idiots who ask stupid questions that have been asked a million times, use sub-human spelling and post in the wrong forums that piss me off.

Also, remember that more posts=longer e-penis. If you stick around long enough to make a few thousand posts, you're more likely to command attention and respect, but at the expense of being an elitist, which isn't always good.

That's right. Don't start off going all-out with your views. Express them by all means, but try not to make enemies. Once you've accumulated a postcount (of respectable and intelligent posts,) many people will have seen your posts and acknowledge you as a respectable member and will value your opinion.

That's right. Don't start off going all-out with your views. Express them by all means, but try not to make enemies. Once you've accumulated a postcount (of respectable and intelligent posts,) many people will have seen your posts and acknowledge you as a respectable member and will value your opinion.

Plus, you can get away with pretty much anything; but don't push it. I pushed it once, and got banned from a site, where I had about 5000 posts.

I hate that that's a rule. I mean, you're right, but it still bugs me that that's how we roll.

Think about it this way: If a man becomes old, more people come to respect him, because of his age. I mean, who would go to a baby for advice? Or if that doesn't work for you, imagine a guy working at McDonalds. If he can hold out for long enough, to the point where he is respected by everyone at work, he'll recieve a promotion; and eventually, he might become the CEO of McDonalds, although that isn't likely to happen.

I hate that that's a rule. I mean, you're right, but it still bugs me that that's how we roll.

You're right, although it's not that big of a problem here. Because it's a smaller community than most, BMG's member will have usually read the posts of the person in question.

In short, make informed posts, and people will make an informed decision about you.

I've been on many forums apart from this one, but you'll never be respected right off the bat. You need to post more, become friendly with other people, be friendly with n00bs (they be coming round the mountain, they be coming round the mountain) and go on the chat. Talk to people. That's how you come to be respected.

i haven't been here to long but ive haven't seen any hostility myself... but thats just me.

be friendly with n00bs (they be coming round the mountain, they be coming round the mountain) and go on the chat.

Those arn't actual requirements. For one, elitists tend to stick around other elitists and invite other people into their inner circle once they become elitists themselves; but of course, not everyone has to be an eliitist. And the chat is just a whole 'nother community, you don't even have to go there to get respect on the forums; and this pretty much applies to any other forums that you may visit, whether or not their chatroom is integrated into their forums.

Great thanks for the warning I now know my honestly will get me in some trouble here.

If you're cool, you're okay, generally. I've been here since this whole thing's started, and we've had people come in at all times, and you get good people and bad people every month. There's no metric to it. Just be honest and don't be a total prick, and you'll be fine.

Also, it's really hard to not be a spambot and get banned from here. You have to screw up pretty bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom