• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Its interesting to note there are more main coordinators on the show than trainers

Re: Its interesting to note there are more main coordinators on the show than traine

Its surprising that so much time and effort was put into making Contests a real story in the anime.

The writers put so much work and effort into this, introducing all these characters, Pokemon and appeals, its mind blowing for what is essentially a optional sidequest in the games.

The writers could have theoretically wrapped up contests after May left the show, but instead they continued contests with another new character for 4 more years.

I do sometimes think they should have kept a bit more of the Super contests stuff for DP. Dawn making her pokemon dance could have been funny, and it fits in better with her fashion/princess fetish anyway.

Re: Its interesting to note there are more main coordinators on the show than traine

Its surprising that so much time and effort was put into making Contests a real story in the anime.

It's not THAT surprising when you think about it - it's the logical thing to do because when you have as successful franchise as Pokémon, it'd be ridiculous to advertise it mainly to boys instead equally for boys and girls

Its just interesting. I remember during 2002 when the earliest AG adverts surfaced, people thought May was just going to be another sidekick character ala Misty/Brock who stood around in the background with a Torchic.

I don't think anyone realized at the time how huge the Contest arcs would become, taking up a large chunk of screentime from each saga. Although May didn't get as much screentime as Dawn gets now on an episode to episode basis, its really amazing that Contests still got equal screentime to Gyms/Brains back in AG, and May had two rivals whereas Ash really had none till the leagues.

Now in DP, Dawn technically has 5 rivals, which is insane, and there have almost been as many contests this saga as in AG's two sagas, and they're making countless contest appeal/training eps, almost continuously, when they never used to do this before.

The only thing that downplays them is the Grand Festival's have only been 3 eps while the leagues are 7 or 8 eps. Will this change in DP? Who knows.

Now in DP, Dawn technically has 5 rivals, which is insane, and there have almost been as many contests this saga as in AG's two sagas, and they're making countless contest appeal/training eps, almost continuously, when they never used to do this before.

Not to mention we got to "see" a few Contests in the form of quick flashbacks (Johanna VS Lila, super quick Zoey VS Kenny, etc), characters watch on TV/computer (Marina, Kenny getting ribbon 2), Jessie's short scenes of Contests wins, short scene of Zoey winning her last ribbon...
And in addition to all of that - even now after Dawn finished collecting her ribbons, we get another full Contest ep for Salvia (and there's still a chance Jessie will lose this and get a whole ep for her last ribbon)
Contests really did become even more important in DP and it's pretty obvious they'll continue to be the plot of the show alongside the Gyms - be it with Dawn or next girl

The only thing that downplays them is the Grand Festival's have only been 3 eps while the leagues are 7 or 8 eps. Will this change in DP? Who knows.

To be fair, usually the League itself is 6 eps and if you count it as 7-8 that means you count set up eps and if so, I'd say Brody's ep with the cup was kind of a set up for the Hoenn GF and might be counted too with the same logic
So really the actualy League is only 6 eps and the GF is 3 - half of it
DP can easily fix this and I totally expect at least 4-5 eps (I'd like it to be even more but I don't want to expect too much and get disappointed)

Well if you count characters of the day,than there is alot more trainers but if we cpount only major characters than yes there has been more main coordinators so far.
Since Hoenn and May days,contests slowly became important factor of pokemon show,spreading their influence even more in DP.

Which in a way it is strange,especially when in games they dont hold so much prestige like they do in show.
On other hand,i think people are getting too much into this things,trying to find reasoning behind everything.

it's pretty obvious they'll continue to be the plot of the show alongside the Gyms - be it with Dawn or next girl

No its not.If new games comes up with new feature,contests could take a backseat with next girl doing new thing.
Of course even if it doesnt writers could come up with anime only thing using creativity to bring something new instead of seeing third girl in a row being coordinator(hopefully not).Whether that being new,older or current girl.

Now im not saying how i that case contests would stop existing but they wouldnt play big role in pokemon anymore.

No its not.

You know Contest will stay unless you're in denial
Most of the show now is Gyms+Contests rather than just Gyms and there's absolutely no reason to change this

If new games comes up with new feature,contests could take a backseat with next girl doing new thing.

1. After they gave the Pokéathlon ONE boring episode, I think that proves how much the writers care about new competitions of the games...
2. I can't think how they can make anything that will be considered a girly plot and still keep the battles in at the same time... Contests are pretty much the perfect plot for a girly Pokémon plot involving battles

instead of seeing third girl in a row being coordinator(hopefully not).

There's still a chance Dawn will stay... but even if she leaves, they'll just make next girl a Coordinator too - they didn't care we already had May before Dawn and Dawn did become a totally different character with a different plot/development/rivals than May's so it really wasn't that bad when you think about it... maybe next gen will be a good character too and be different enough from both May and Dawn

You know Contest will stay unless you're in denial

Same can be said about those who think how contests are "untouchable" with no way of ever getting replaced.

Now let me see,some people actually believe how new feature from pokemon games writers will ignore,sticking with ancient sidequest which doesnt even have that much of importance in games anymore.

Yep that really sounds "plausible".
Pokemon show is advertizing tool,bein used to promote new games.Theyre not gonna ignore something new from games,because this anime follows directives from nintendo.It doesnt go the other way around.

Most of the show now is Gyms+Contests rather than just Gyms and there's absolutely no reason to change this

Read post above,reason comes from simple fact that anime is obligated to advertize new games.Other reason would be to change things providing something new on table.

1. After they gave the Pokéathlon ONE boring episode,

Which is a matter of subjective opinion,and its unfair to judge something by only one episode(there were not so great episodes about gyms and contests too).We dont know what is general consensuz among fandom regarding this episode,because target audiuence(small kids) is majority which isnt coming on this forums and if this episode was well received among them thats what matters the most.
Reactions from older fans who are coming on pokemon forums are not something writers pay attention to,because this group of people are small minority.

I think that proves how much the writers care about new competitions of the games...

Pokethlon was quest from side games which were remakes.
New quest from main games holds bigger importance to it.BIG difference.

2. I can't think how they can make anything that will be considered a girly plot and still keep the battles in at the same time...

Just because you "cant think about anything",doent mean writers couldnt.You cant know what they are capable to do,and they would do better job with anything than most fans ever could being competent for this job.

Contests are pretty much the perfect plot for a girly Pokémon plot involving battles

Something can always be improved,and plot for girls doesnt necessarily have to be to girly.
Contrary to some belief less girly girl with less girly plot would be just as succesfull,being accepted among boys and girls.
Many kids shows follow different formula being succesfull.

Target audience surely wont mind if something new is being given to them.

There's still a chance Dawn will stay... but even if she leaves, they'll just make next girl a Coordinator too -

Which is your opinion,with which i cant entirely agree because noone knows how much of an impact would new games leave to this show and what changes might happen.

I think you're just biased against Contests because you don't like how they use girly stuff to appeal more to girls... so it's useless to argue about this with you

When did we find out that the DP games will include Contests? was it a few months before the release are did we have to wait until the game was close to release? maybe if they'll announce Contests are still there, people might accept it that Contests are here to stay...

I think you're just biased against Contests because you don't like how they use girly stuff to appeal more to girls... so it's useless to argue about this with you

Nah,i actually liked contests back than in Hoenn and Mays arc.It was something new and nice.I liked contests in DP too,but i do find idea of getting third girl in a row doing same thing pointless and uneeded.

I dont have nothing against girl stuff either,but to be fair both girly females and tomboys can be equally popular among boys and girls.We already had tomboy who is very popular,we had May who was less girly than dawn being very popular too,and i have seen many other shows where plots which werent too girly were popular alot so i cant claime something which isnt true.

For the record i never said how contests dont have chance of staying in this show as a main thing,im just pointing out how there is posibillity of them being replaced,nothing more.

I never did that contest's. I find them to be a waste of time.

I didn't say tomboys can't be popular characters, but you have to admit that most of the young girls of today DO prefer girly stuff... pink, cute, love... it's usually what most (not all) young girls like and that's why usually shows aimed at girls have lots of these things... so it's not surprising that Pokémon would try to do the same (well, other than the love thing... but I guess you can say they did it with May/Drew)
Anyway... let's just say everything can happen, but Contest have a high chance to continue since they became as important as Gyms in the anime

I didn't say tomboys can't be popular characters, but you have to admit that most of the young girls of today DO prefer girly stuff... pink, cute, love...

I never denied it and your right,but my point was along the lines that judging by past and other animes show could get away with having less girly stuff still being highly popular to kids.

(well, other than the love thing... but I guess you can say they did it with May/Drew)

Well pokemon isnt much about romance but on occasion these kind of things are provided,and even though im not shipper i cant deny how there were some hints bewtween example you mentioned or in pokeshipping.

I love contests, but I can't help but agree with my man Pokemon fan 123!

Misty is a tomboy, and she started the show. She was the original, and she appealed too so many, and not in girly girl ways.

Misty was known for her charming personality, wit, and awesomeness.

Contests are awesome, but I see Pokemon fan's point on this one.

Piplup, I do agree that people should be open to change and new ideas tho.

Misty needs to be killed off just so people will shut up about her.

That wouldn't help... She's been off the main cast for 8 years, we haven't seen her since the beginning of the BF and people still talk about her... Even if the writers killed her off, her fans would just say that it's possible that Celebi would go back to a time before her death to bring her to the present and join the main cast again

But I echo your sentiment... in a bloodless fashion, but I echo your sentiment

I also love May and Dawn very much. You know, if people could put the politics aside, they might see that there are fans of this show, who love all 3 main girls.

If Misty were to be killed off, all hell would break lose.

I'm not trying to bring Misty in everything, but IMO, she is best main character. That is my opinion, I also believe she is the strongest.

I won't complain about her departure but I damn sure will make it known how great she is.

She is Pokemon to me!!! :)

Well, that's cause we have one trainer as the main character and several coordinator girls joining him and eventually leaving him later on. Thus, they needed a separate bunch of rivals for each one.

Last edited:

Contests, a form of competition where every event requires May/Dawn to directly compete with other people for a ribbon, have more characters than League challenges, where Ash doesn't have to fight anyone except Gym Leaders until he gets to the League? Color me shocked.

Of course, it helps when we count coordinators like Solana(who appeared, what, once?) but not League rivals. Still, how are you surprised that contests have more recurring characters than the League challenge? If every Gym challenge involved Ash beating a random trainer or three before even getting to fight the Gym Leader you might have a point, but...they don't. Contests and gyms are different things which require different amounts of characters to support a storyline.

Of course, it helps when we count coordinators like Solana(who appeared, what, once?) but not League rivals. Still, how are you surprised that contests have more recurring characters than the League challenge? If every Gym challenge involved Ash beating a random trainer or three before even getting to fight the Gym Leader you might have a point, but...they don't. Contests and gyms are different things which require different amounts of characters to support a storyline.
See, this is exactly why retreading on the old Gym Leaders is a fun little surprise every now and again when they do it. For as much focus and characterization that they get, most of 'em feel like above average Characters of the Day. The stuff they did with Roark, Gardenia, Maylene, Fantina, Byron, Candice, and now Volkner is really interesting -- stuff I wouldn't mind being present for in the future. It helps get rid of that wooden and boring feeling (to a degree). So let's have more of it, I say. Contests make a great point of bumping up the coordinator's problems. So perhaps the solution isn't to give the Gyms more trainers to fight, but increase the problems that the Leader has to deal with (maybe something other than Team Rocket). More Gym Leader meets Gym Leader, or Gym Leader meets Frontier Brain, or Gym Leader meets Elite 4 member action is required!

Too bad old Gym leaders are never re-visited.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom