• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Japanese Pokemon Fan Books

Bnagata

Reaction score
I recently found a stack of Pokemon books that I cannot identify. Has anyone ever seen these or know anything about them? They range from 1996-2000 and are in Japanese. Second picture is of some other miscellaneous books.

Pokemon Books 1.jpg Scan0001-tile.jpg

They are all knockoffs by the looks of it. Note how the book with Gengar has its name as 'Gangar' and how most don't have the accent over the 'e' in Pokemon.

I know what most of the official covers look like and none of these look official.

Gengar's Japanese name is Gangar though.

I've never seen any of these so I can't tell you what they are. What are they like inside, manga?

Well I did a bit of digging around and I think I've solved it. They are not exactly knockoffs like Lysson said, but they are a thing called Dojinshi.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dōjinshi (同人誌?, often transliterated as doujinshi) is the Japanese term for self-published works, usually magazines, manga or novels.

I also found a few that were being sold on a Japanese website, of course they were all out of stock.
I attached some pictures of what they are like inside and some of the info along with the website I saw them on.
Let me know if anyone has ever heard of these before, or if anyone agrees with my findings.

Scan0028.jpg Scan0027.jpg Scan0029.jpg Pokemon Screenshot.jpg

You might have a scenario where some of these books are fan comics made for doujins. Is there any pictures of the actual comics? Most fans cant have an official bound book so that would solve that scenario. I only say this because some of the books clearly have Japanese on them.

Yes, they are all on high quality paper and are staple bound.
Here are some cool Japanese kids books I just found also. Now these are on those thick cardboard stock.
Scan0054.jpg Scan0055.jpg Scan0056.jpg Scan0057.jpg

Lysson said:
most don't have the accent over the 'e' in Pokemon.

Japan didn't start putting the accent over the "e" in Pokemon until very recently. It's perfectly normal to see "Pokemon" (with no accent) or even "Pockemon" used during the time these books would have been printed.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom