• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN001: Pikachu is Born!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One scene from the trailer shows Pikachu staring at his reflection in a puddle. I think this is shortly after he evolved from Pichu and has realized what has happened to him.

That made me realize something myself. All too often, Pokemon just go along with their evolutions, usually because they are in the middle of a battle or dangerous situation. Have we ever had a Pokemon look over their newly evolved form in awe? Like they are thinking "I... evolved? I EVOLVED!"

Ash's Bayleef and Torterra are somewhat relevant here. Prolly that can become more relevant here since it's about an insecure (prolly) Baby Pokemon. But bare with me, the bigger question awaits.

Maybe it will be similar to what Bayleef experienced? Chikorita could jump into Ash's arms whenever she wanted but when she evolved, Ash had to outright tell her that because she's too big as a Bayleef she constantly knocks him around and he can't hold her like he used to do. There was an entire episode about her feeling crushed by that and Ash had to try everything to make her happy again.

I'm guessing maybe Pikachu was refused by the Kangaskhan after evolving and didn't want to evolve further because of his fear for his companions refusing him for his different looks/size. Also, I don't think wild Pikachu are aware that they could evolve further and even if they were aware of that, they probably don't know what they might look like (wild Raichu might be extremely rare since Thunder Stones aren't just lying around everywhere)

Forget about them evolving into Raichu, though we have seen a lot of pokemon with conditional evolution, even requiring items and trades. What bugs me the most is that how com Pichu evolved into Pikachu in the first place. The babies need max happiness to do so. I know it's quite comprehensive to shove into a single episode, but still, the Kangaskhan refusal, not being able to stand up to the physical and mental turmoils of evolution and all that seems pretty interesting xD

On a different note, the anime just stupefies us with their own version of physics, can't demand any substantial answer from them. Remember Geodude being knocked out by Thunder and making Thunder Wave damaging just to make useless pokemon like Manectric useful enough??

So from the summaries of SS001 and SS002 it does seem like my dream is coming true with this episode primarily being a flashback with the story proper starting the following episode. Since we're apparently seeing Gou in the flashback I wonder if we will see any other characters too.

So from the summaries of SS001 and SS002 it does seem like my dream is coming true with this episode primarily being a flashback with the story proper starting the following episode. Since we're apparently seeing Gou in the flashback I wonder if we will see any other characters too.
Judging from the magazine pictures, that really looks like Professor Oak's summer camp. That can't be a coincidence. I think we will see Serena in one of the backgrounds of that flashback to foreshadow her appearance later in the series.

Last edited:
Are you sure it's not a one-hour special, AKA two episodes in a row?

It is confirmed that episode 2 is November 24th.

That said, I don't know how the one-hour special will be. It could be that Episode 1 last around one-hour. Or Episode 1 may last as any other episode, but they fill the rest of the time with other things.

Last edited:
Important to note it doesn't say Ash actually went to the camp. The First Line is just @AshandSerena's thoughts. It says he overslept so he may have not attended at all. Also, wasn't Ash five when he met Serena?

I really hope the story focuses on Pikachu's past with little or no reference to the present

Being an hour long gives us plenty of potential, feels more like a movie then anything

Wonder how the dub will handle the episode, as an hour long or split it into two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom