• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN007: The Hoenn Region, Site of Fierce Fights! The Battle Frontier Challenge!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long were those gaps on average? I know that the longest one was 11 episodes (right after Operation Tempest).
I haven't watched the Best Wishes series in very long, but I think on average 2 to 5 episodes long. To be honest I wouldn't mind it if they got a 12 episode break again, especially at the start of the series.

Found this summary, no idea if this has been posted on here already

Satoshi and Gow entered the Battle Competition "Battle Frontier Vedro Cup" held in the Hohen district. The opponent of Go, who is the first challenge in Pokemon Battle, is Houji in Fuentown. Goh is going to fight against Houji, who has been running out of Graena, with a strike that is compatible with the type! On the other hand, Satoshi shows a fast-paced streak! The Pokémon that came out at the forefront of the day! ?

Found this summary, no idea if this has been posted on here already

Satoshi and Gow entered the Battle Competition "Battle Frontier Vedro Cup" held in the Hohen district. The opponent of Go, who is the first challenge in Pokemon Battle, is Houji in Fuentown. Goh is going to fight against Houji, who has been running out of Graena, with a strike that is compatible with the type! On the other hand, Satoshi shows a fast-paced streak! The Pokémon that came out at the forefront of the day! ?

Where did you find it?

Where did you find it?

A brief analysis on the "Mystery Pokémon" and other elements of this episode based off the cast list and preview.
I am assuming they didn't leave any of the voice actors out to surprise people; so I'll only look at Ash's Pokémon with a confirmed VA. I will note that Unshō Ishizuka's death leaves the theoretical possibility one of his will appear and has been recast (or maybe archive voice work? I'd assume the VA would be credited in that case but though), but won't go into details on any of them except noting Swellow is a Hoenn Pokémon and might be the most likely of them.
I'd like to thank Silktree for providing the list of Ash's Pokémon with present voice actors!
Charizard
Bulbasaur
Mimey
Torterra
Torkoal
Leavanny
Pidgeot

Of those, Torterra and Leavanny seem the least likely to me due to not having any particular reason to appear; Charizard and Bulbasaur have the power of Kanto nostalgia and Charizard's heavily promoted in general, while Bulbasaur has a recent episode about his line they could use to explain Ash bringing him out again. Torkoal's a Hoenn Pokémon which may count for something, Pidgeot might have received foreshadowing in 6 and would definitely be a "believe it or not" appearance, and Mimey has the advantage of having already appeared in this series and also being unexpected.

A note on Scorbunny: We see Scorbunny fighting in the preview clip; the earlier summary says Gou faces Hoji in the first round, so this suggests Gou gets past him but doesn't confirm it. It's possible the battles aren't one on one and Gou uses both against Hoji and loses.

I earlier suggested the surprise Pokémon might be Scorbunny, with Gou losing to Hoji and Ash using Scorbunny since it wanted to enter. The first summary mentions Gou's Scyther having a type advantage, but the preview shows Mightyena using Fire Fang and the show regularly has Pokémon overcome types with superior training or cleverness, and Gou's a new trainer who, as the summary notes, has never battled before.
I wouldn't put high odds on this but I think it's possible.

I actually missed a whole bunch from Yuji Ueda: Quilava, Noctowl, Sceptile, Infernape, Greninja and Goodra. And then there's Kenta Miyake: Donphan, Krookodile, Noivern and Meltan.

I don't see any of them happening (Greninja would require a Kalos trip, no?), but that's just me. You'd think that any starter would be promoted upon its return, and if they're going for something less popular, they might as well go big with that approach.

I actually missed a whole bunch from Yuji Ueda: Quilava, Noctowl, Sceptile, Infernape, Greninja and Goodra. And then there's Kenta Miyake: Donphan, Krookodile, Noivern and Meltan.

I don't see any of them happening (Greninja would require a Kalos trip, no?), but that's just me. You'd think that any starter would be promoted upon its return, and if they're going for something less popular, they might as well go big with that approach.
Of all those the only one I could really see appearing here is Sceptile due to starter popularity+episode set in Hoenn. The lack of Sceptile promotion is an issue, though if an old Pokémon appears for just one episode (it's possible we'll be seeing reserves pop up for battles but not anything else like in DP, as I believe has been suggested before) I'm not sure if they'd bother making new merchandise for it.
If we end up seeing any of Ash's old Pokémon I think it's likely we'll see Greninja eventually, though.

I always imagined this episode taking place in some kind of grey stadium and...it actually is lol.

This guy Houji seems kind of important for the future if he gets two Pokemon (three with Tailow?) and his own introduction scene outside the tournament.

I watched the Pigeot scene and honestly it seems more like a transition, Ash didn't even noticed it.

Lol Houji calls Gou cute. I wonder if this is him commenting on Gou's attitude or if this is setting up Gou's bishounen design as a thing.

I sure hope Ash doesn't have off screen captures or soulless captures like Go. Think about how people are reacting thinking about Ash's past Pokemon and how they hope it could be one of them. They each had their own special times, their own personalities, development, etc (some maybe lacking a bit like Palpitoad, but still, the point stands), fans connected to them and really loved them not just for their species, but for the specific Pokemon, heck many of us like certain Pokemon species just because of how these individuals acted. 3 years from now none of Go's Pokemon besides Scorbunny will be thought of in this manner, bring back significant memories, or be exciting to be installed in a specific episode. Any of them could just be any of their own species. Its really a sad turn of events. I really don't want Ash to have Pokemon treated in this way, so if that is how captures are in this series, I hope he doesn't get any. I don't really want it to be Mimey, but I would rather it be Mimey than be some token Pokemon without its own personality that he caught offscreen just to make some hype surprise. Ash doesn't do that shit, and I really hope they don't make him like that now that they employ this horrifically shallow Pokemon Go backdrop in the new series.

Hopefully if Go loses, it will teach him the importance of training his Pokemon and help develop his team other then Scyther and Scorbunny
At the end of the day, he can only can only actively train 6 Pokemon, maybe with an extra or two (although Ash hasn't had luck with rotation). It makes sense that he would prioritize one of the bugs and it's way too early to say how the next batch will be handled.

True but even if he trains 6 Pokemon, those 6 will get some serious development.

I'm hoping that Scyther will be a main member of his team based on this episode along with Scorbunny

I really hope Go experience here will be just how a casual battling player: he knows all about the pokemon logistics and the game mechanics but gets pounded into the dirt when he shows up in the competitive scene.

Oh who am I kidding, he’t totally going to dominate this tournament isn’t he?
I suspect if he reached the final round to face Ash the summary would have focused more on that, but I could be wrong.
The summary focusing on his first battle but mentioning Ash sweeping through makes me think that similarly to Ash's silliness being played up to contrast Gou they're also going to make Ash's vastly greater battling experience starkly obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom