• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN009: The Promise We Made that Day! The Houou Legend of the Johto Region!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, because there are no numbers between 1 and 6. We can only have either one companion or six, but not anything in-between...

Go is already a hard sell because he's an entirely original character not based on any character from the games. Getting people to accept one character that has no game counterpart or nostalgia to back them up is already hard enough. So I can see why they wouldn't want to have more.

Go is already a hard sell because he's an entirely original character not based on any character from the games.

That would be a good counter... if that was the argument I was tackling. But, you see, the guy I responded to said that SammyW27 was previously complaining about the SM cast of Ash and the five classmates and a living Pokédex being too large, seemingly implying that it's weird that he's complaining about the currents cast, which consists of just Ash and Go. Which is a strange rebuttal, since the current series could've definitely had a smaller cast without having to go for the bare minimum.

Getting people to accept one character that has no game counterpart or nostalgia to back them up is already hard enough.

Wouldn't the same argument be applicable for most of Ash's female companions, since they're based on recently introduced (at the time) PCs that generally have little to no personality in the games and no nostalgia attached to them? Or how about companions that are based on characters from the games that were never revealed prior to the recent games' release, thus making them relatively unknown to the general public?

Beside all that, it's not like they couldn't have created another anime-original companion and dedicated a few episodes to them as well. In fact, a lot of people have pointed out how Koharu could've been (and could still be) a companion if the writers would just give her some proper focus and an actual goal and reason to travel with Ash.

You complained (endlessly) about the Sun&Moon cast for being too many now it's too small, whatever...

There has to be a middle ground. A balance. They did it with late AG, DP, BW, and some of XY, so they can (and should) do it again.

The voice cast for episode 6 has been confirmed, and there's not much to it. By the 6th episode in previous series or sagas we'd met rivals, future recurring characters, and folks from the games. Thus far the cast has been meeting anonymous minor characters with small roles I doubt we'll ever see again (though I wouldn't mind hearing from those trainers from SS02. Some of them had designs too good to be one-shots (though we've had people with good designs go to waste before)). The contrast is too great for me to ignore...

Hell, even the TRio is barely a thing this series...

Oh, and I liked SM having a big over all cast. It's just that some of them were pointless, useless, or underused that I have a problem with. I was even under the impression I wasn't alone.

Last edited:
I won’t be able to reconcile a series where Ash visits places he’s been before but never meets up with people he’s met before. Just give us god damn continuity!

Morty, Eusine, the Kimono Girls- please somthing!
Not only are those characters in the anime but they are also iconic figures representing the Jhoto region as a whole. I'd argue that characters such as Jasmine and Kurt are as iconic to Jhoto as any physical landmark, so the writers omitting them in an effort to eliminate series continuity would be a stupid move. Do they really think can fully represent the Sinnoh region without featuring Cynthia for instance.

Not only are those characters in the anime but they are also iconic figures representing the Jhoto region as a whole. I'd argue that characters such as Jasmine and Kurt are as iconic to Jhoto as any physical landmark, so the writers omitting them in an effort to eliminate series continuity would be a stupid move. Do they really think can fully represent the Sinnoh region without featuring Cynthia for instance.
The fear would be that they would include those characters and just have them interact with Ash as if he had never met them before. Although it wasn't too painful with Steven, considering the nature of their first meeting, it would be especially jarring with someone like Cynthia, whom Ash has spent a lot of time with in the past. The way things are going, I'm honestly fearing the Steven treatment for iconic game characters that Ash knew and no inclusion of non-iconic characters, although I really hope its not the case. Imagine if they made Iris the champion of Unova to match B2W2 and they didn't acknowledge her knowing Ash at all.

The fear would be that they would include those characters and just have them interact with Ash as if he had never met them before. Although it wasn't too painful with Steven, considering the nature of their first meeting, it would be especially jarring with someone like Cynthia, whom Ash has spent a lot of time with in the past. The way things are going, I'm honestly fearing the Steven treatment for iconic game characters that Ash knew and no inclusion of non-iconic characters, although I really hope its not the case. Imagine if they made Iris the champion of Unova to match B2W2 and they didn't acknowledge her knowing Ash at all.
To be fair, Steven made just 1 appearance before XY and he was less than a CotD at the time.

Morty, Eusine and the Kimono girls however have interacted with Ash and bonded with him in some way.

To be fair, Steven made just 1 appearance before XY and he was less than a CotD at the time.

Morty, Eusine and the Kimono girls however have interacted with Ash and bonded with him in some way.
Steven's AG appearance was weird. I've pretty much headcanoned that it was actually a different guy named Steven who looked similar. Him changing VAs makes that easier.

Imagine if they made Iris the champion of Unova to match B2W2 and they didn't acknowledge her knowing Ash at all.
...You know? That would be so hilariously over the top I'd kind of enjoy it on some terrible level.

Honestly I would prefer that to them not showing up at all. It would be an admission of guilt in a way. It's the equivalent of them outright saying that they are de-cannonizing 90% of the series up to this point, and frankly I'd rather them be honest about what they're doing as opposed to being vague and contradictory like they are now.

Although it wasn't too painful with Steven

Who, let's face it, was just a regular, everyday COTD (I can't even call him a glorified one like other game characters who only got one episode...:cry: )
I can only suspect it was another unfortunate side effect of AG going from being about Ruby & Sapphire to being about the rest of Gen 3 :unsure:

it would be especially jarring with someone like Cynthia, whom Ash has spent a lot of time with in the past.

Hell, she's an honorary member of Ash-tacchi! (the one with the most episodes even!)

Imagine if they made Iris the champion of Unova to match B2W2 and they didn't acknowledge her knowing Ash at all.

A-Actually...I think I wouldn't mind that...:oops:
That almost sounds like it could better than what we got in BW with Iris working and earning her way to the top instead of getting freebies handed to her on a silver platter and her problems magically solving themselves.

That didn't exactly stop them from depicting the Kimono girls as looking radically different in Lyra's presentation on the Johto region, during Gen IV which was a much better time than this for continuity. Now, yes that isn't nearly as bad as them actually being in the episode and acting extremely different, but still it never sat well with me, because the difference in appearance was a lot more than just art style updates in my opinion. I agree on Steven, but I'm just saying I have some level of fear based on what has happened so far in this series, and the fact that they have done it before, even if it was an extremely minor example.

Honestly I would prefer that to them not showing up at all. It would be an admission of guilt in a way. It's the equivalent of them outright saying that they are de-cannonizing 90% of the series up to this point, and frankly I'd rather them be honest about what they're doing as opposed to being vague and contradictory like they are now.

I see what you're saying, I'm kind of torn on that. On the one hand, it would be refreshing to know what to expect, but on the other hand I still always like having a shred of hope to see certain characters again, no matter how unlikely it may be.

Last edited:
This is probably the episode I'm most hyped for. There's no way they won't mention Ash's First Encounter with ho-oh, they might miss the one at the end of Johto that connects to his Hoenn Journey but who cares about AG anyway? We might see a flashback with Ash in his OS Clothes but most of all I hope this episode leads to his goal in this series. It can achieve nostalgia/fanservice and progressing the plot at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom