• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN009: The Promise We Made that Day! The Houou Legend of the Johto Region!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me, and thousands maybe millions of others who have fond memories of that saga and still remember it to this day?

-

Anyway I hope this episode sets up a solid goal for Ash, related to his Pokemon Master dream, as abstract as it is.
Oh sorry lol. I was just saying that since for the general consensus, AG isn't talked about a lot and is mostly forgotten.

I remember the Pokelantis episode, mostly because of possessed Ash but also the terrible lore they came up with for Ho-Oh. To be fair, I think it was implied that Ho-Oh was falsely associated with Pokelantis (it was supposed to be trapped there, but only the king's spirit was) and actually had nothing to do with it.

Warning: This post contains sarcasm.

What fans want to happen: Ash and Ho-Oh have a heart-to-heart talk or battle about Ash's goals and their previous encounters.

What will actually happen: Go's friend (a.k.a. Pikachu's trainer) wakes up one day and sees news about a legendary bird Pokémon on the newspaper. Go's friend will say that he has very vague memories of it and that he wants to see it again, Sakuragi says that he and Go should go to Ecruteak City. The duo go there, visit the inside of the Brass Tower and go through a series of Indiana Jones-esque trials, where Go catches a bunch of Fire-type Pokémon while Go's friend is burned by all of them. At the end they meet up with Eugene and Norty, two trainers from Team Valor who tell them the legend of Ho-Oh. Go's friend sees Ho-Oh flying in the distance and promises to become one day a Pokemon Master, while Go vows to catch 'em all. They go back to Vermilion City and await for their next exciting adventure.

This is probably the only confirmed episode airing in January that I'm completely neutral about because I've had enough of Ash's mystical bond with the giant rainbow turkey.

but who cares about AG anyway?

Exactly.

Image result for i don't know her gif

This is probably the only confirmed episode airing in January that I'm completely neutral about because I've had enough of Ash's mystical bond with the giant rainbow turkey.
I hope you're excited for the Piplup episode, then. Can't have enough Piplup.

What fans want to happen: Ash and Ho-Oh have a heart-to-heart talk or battle about Ash's goals and their previous encounters.

What will actually happen: Go's friend (a.k.a. Pikachu's trainer) wakes up one day and sees news about a legendary bird Pokémon on the newspaper. Go's friend will say that he has very vague memories of it and that he wants to see it again, Sakuragi says that he and Go should go to Ecruteak City. The duo go there, visit the inside of the Brass Tower and go through a series of Indiana Jones-esque trials, where Go catches a bunch of Fire-type Pokémon while Go's friend is burned by all of them. At the end they meet up with Eugene and Norty, two trainers from Team Valor who tell them the legend of Ho-Oh. Go's friend sees Ho-Oh flying in the distance and promises to become one day a Pokemon Master, while Go vows to catch 'em all. They go back to Vermilion City and await for their next exciting adventure.

LOVE ITTTTTT.

I love this so much, the only thing I would change is I think Go's friend won't acknowledge whether he is aware of Ho-oh or not, it will seem like he knows what it is, but he won't say such and anything concrete about his knowledge of it will be left ambiguous. Eugene and Norty will tell of how Ho-oh was upset with humans, and just while they are going over how important Ho-oh is to the balance of the natural world, we will hear Go's smartphone say "excellent" in the background as Go captures Ho-oh on his first toss. Don't worry about Ho-oh though, Go's brainwashing Pokeballs will rid the poor thing of its unique traits, memories, and any feelings of duty it had, and it will happily enjoy its indefinite sentence to the Sakuragi purgatory as a mindless trophy.

But in this one, I wouldn't be surprised anymore if something like this turns out to be true. Even SM didn't shit over the series like the way this one has. This episode is gonna be the make or break for the series.
If you're referring just to continuity, then you're giving early BW and SM a whole lot of credit for nothing that PM hasn't done. XY is the worst offender.

First impressions are important after all and the previous episode just fucked a lot up.
That one specifically? It did exactly what you'd expect from the episode's description, which we've known about for around two months. News at eleven: Go will catch a lot of Pokemon.

I hope you're excited for the Piplup episode, then. Can't have enough Piplup.

Well by process of elimination, yes. I'll take 22 minutes of Piplup shilling over an episode that I'm willing to bet won't even show Ash interacting with Ho-Oh. We're almost definitely not going to get any kind of pay off or resolution to the whole Ho-Oh mystery, so this episode already feels like a waste imo. That one dude's fan-fic up above is right on the money.

Ash is going to get the Rainbow Wing judging from the art. That's progress compared to the older series. Presumably, it won't be a repeat of the movie, either.

It's incredibly easy to be cynical and jaded about the franchise as a whole. It doesn't mean that you'll be right all the time.

If you're referring just to continuity, then you're giving early BW and SM a whole lot of credit for nothing that PM hasn't done. XY is the worst offender.

Yeah, if anything PM is a step up from BW and XY in that regard. There has been no Ash/Pikachu reset and Ash has clearly been shown to be experienced.

Yeah, if anything PM is a step up from BW and XY in that regard. There has been no Ash/Pikachu reset and Ash has clearly been shown to be experienced.
Wait, what? Continuity doesn't just mean references to past episodes. They have completely contradicted the set up for capturing new Pokemon that has been relevant to the entire series to date, replacing it with mobile game mechanics. Direct and significant contradictions represent a departure from continuity that is far greater than any BW or XY had. BW and XY at least felt like the same world, whereas this series is some bizarre hybrid 80% Pokemon Go, 20% Pokemon anime. Nothing in BW or XY made past events make little sense in light of new events like the new catching mechanic does towards most historic catches and even training. Nothing in BW or XY hypocritically made something okay that was taught as a lesson multiple times as not okay, like catching tons of Pokemon for selfish reasons without considering the Pokemon's point of view. You could say PM has more references than BW or XY did, but even then, these references are extremely shallow and limited, and borderline contradictory to the point of having essentially no value. Continuity envelops a lot more than just references, and in that regard, PM is quite easily the worst so far.

Last edited:
In terms of mechanics, Go caught a lot of his bugs in the same way Ash caught Caterpie, Krabby and 30 Tauros. It might be jarring when it happens many times in the same episode, but it isn't unprecedented. Besides, you could see how they were gradually building up to the "you need to weaken a Pokemon before you catch it" rule.

In terms of morality, befriending a Pokemon before you catch it isn't a rule, at least except for starters (although just being given one isn't exactly a testament of anything). It's also unfeasible unless a character has a small roster. What matters more is how you treat the Pokemon once you have it, and in that regard Go isn't off to a bad start given how he played with his bugs, found a place for them nearby, and will meditate with them soon.

In terms of mechanics, Go caught a lot of his bugs in the same way Ash caught Caterpie, Krabby and 30 Tauros. It might be jarring when it happens many times in the same episode, but it isn't unprecedented. Besides, you could see how they were gradually building up to the "you need to weaken a Pokemon before you catch it" rule.
Are you really justifying the context of the present day anime with stuff that happened 22+ years ago? Yes, I won't deny that OS-Kanto had a lot of similar moments but it had other weird shit happening as well that can be credited to Early Installment Weirdness. But 22 years down the line, repeating the same mistakes that were rare (if not non-existent) is quite jarring and contradictory.
In terms of morality, befriending a Pokemon before you catch it isn't a rule, at least except for starters (although just being given one isn't exactly a testament of anything). It's also unfeasible unless a character has a small roster. What matters more is how you treat the Pokemon once you have it, and in that regard Go isn't off to a bad start given how he played with his bugs, found a place for them nearby, and will meditate with them soon.
Except you know... some of his captures literally tried to murder him beforehand (Pinsir and Beedrill) but they automatically became friends with him? One would have expected to see at least a bit of friction between trainer and Pokemon but judging by next week's preview, it seems like Scyther will obey Gou without any problem. Remember when Charizard was so powerful that it disobeyed Ash because it thought the trainer wasn't strong enough to command it?

Like @sc190191 stated, just because they showed a 20 second scene with him "playing" with his Pokemon doesn't mean he's actually bonded with them. If anything, they've been brainwashed by the future PokeSith Lord.

People need to stop over-analysing things. There isn't any rule established in the anime that you should befriend every Pokemon before you capture it, Kanto has already proven this no matter how long ago it happened.

Gary caught heaps of Pokemon like Go is and it wasn't seen as wrong by Oak or any one else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom