• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN056: Gampi of The Big Four! The Hall of Chivalry!!

Did Goh got a catch or an evolution in the episode Ash caught Farfetch'd? I thought the narrator even said Goh didn't caught anything (even if it was forshadowing for Sobble which Goh caught the next episode).

Considering it was a 2-parter and the episodes being connected, yes. Heck, Galarfetch'd wasn't even the focus of the episode, it was just a last 5 minute in the episode (Again, feels like an afterthought, like the majority of the things Ash is involved in, in this series), whereas Sobble was the focus of its episode.

Electivire only used four moves during the battle against Barry, and only four moves during the final battle with Ash. Giga Impact was just a temporary addition to its moveset.
I noticed that. It used Thunder, Protect, Thunderpunch and Giga Impact. So, it was missing Brick Break. But, Electavire had it since its debut against Pikachu when they tied in Ash and Paul’s first battle.
It makes no sense that a Pokemon would forget a move, then gain it back for a fight later.
Now, I’m willing to accept your opinion that Pokemon literally can only use four moves in battle, but there’s no disproving my stance cause there’s always the case Paul simply didn’t use the move cause the opportunity never presented itself.

I get that, and you’re 100% correct, but I, and probably others, feels as though that balance hasn’t been given fairly. When Ash was fighting Korrina, and Visquez, Goh was off doing his own thing. Sure, he came back to watch Ash, but there’s always the fact Goh needs to have his own thing in an Ash episode. When it’s the other way around, Ash is helping Goh, or Ash never gets the chance to do battling/a PWC related topic in a Goh episode.
I think that’s where others are coming from.

BTW, I like your name, it’s funny.

Okay, that makes sense. I think that's just the way Journeys is going to be. By shrinking the cast to two leads, they always have to give Goh something to do. He's not like a Brock, Clemont etc. where they can spend the majority of the eps as background characters. Goh simply serves a different story telling role than former companions.

Okay, that makes sense. I think that's just the way Journeys is going to be. By shrinking the cast to two leads, they always have to give Goh something to do. He's not like a Brock, Clemont etc. where they can spend the majority of the eps as background characters. Goh simply serves a different story telling role than former companions.
Which is why I think people find him annoying. I’ll admit, he’s annoyed me, and that was only for the preview of this episode. He’s just something new, and it’s nice to try something unique, but the reason this caused me frustration at first was because Goh drives the attention away from Ash, essentially not helping the actual episode’s plot, wasting the run-time for Ash to actually develop. In the Suicuine episode, Ash battles the thugs, but that was to help the plot along, and the rest of the episode was spent allowing Goh to have more time to bond with Suicuine.
This episode seemed at first to hinder Ash’s chances of development, but that moment when Ash jumped down the hole for Farfetch’d, I was satisfied. They broke them apart, and that’s all I wanted, it gave Ash time to have some bonding.

I noticed that. It used Thunder, Protect, Thunderpunch and Giga Impact. So, it was missing Brick Break. But, Electavire had it since its debut against Pikachu when they tied in Ash and Paul’s first battle.
It makes no sense that a Pokemon would forget a move, then gain it back for a fight later.
Now, I’m willing to accept your opinion that Pokemon literally can only use four moves in battle, but there’s no disproving my stance cause there’s always the case Paul simply didn’t use the move cause the opportunity never presented itself.
Paul used TMs

Man, this episode had so much promise but it definitely felt like a lame duck. We're promised a battle with an Elite Four member, and yet all we get is Satoshi and Go running round a castle for fifteen minutes with a quick and indecisive battle tacked on the end. Also, I haven't subscribed to the Go hate but even I couldn't help but feel he was muscling in on a Satoshi focus episode.

What is this show's obsession with tough looking guys crying all the time? It's bad enough 99% of the Black Belts are on the verge of tears but now we have Elite Four members doing it? It was nice to see an Elite Four member with a full team though, I'll admit. Normally we're lucky to see two.

Strike's evolution in Hassam was the lamest the show has ever given us. No effect, no transformation, just a picture transition. Did the episode run out of money when it came to animating that scene?

Considering it was a 2-parter and the episodes being connected, yes. Heck, Galarfetch'd wasn't even the focus of the episode, it was just a last 5 minute in the episode (Again, feels like an afterthought, like the majority of the things Ash is involved in, in this series), whereas Sobble was the focus of its episode.

I don't realy see this episode as a 2 parter myself. Maybe as a continuation since they are still in the same place (but this is the case for a lot of episodes). But the 2 episodes are not realy connected. Farfetch'd doesn't play a meaningfull part in the Sobble episode. And also the battle of the first half of the episode with Leo isn't important in the Sobble episode.

Than you could say the episode Ash caught Corphish and the next episode is a better 2 parter (and still, I don't see it as a 2 parter). They are still on the same location, time is spend on the integration of Corphish in the group (a direct result of his capture in the former episode) and when he got sick Ash did everything he could to help him. Maybe some people will call this a 2 parter or even part of a bigger parter (since it take place in a serie of episodes all located on the island of Dewford Town), but I wouldn't. A 2 parter is realy when you need to see both episodes to have the full story. Not when multiple stand alone episodes are continuations of eachother because of a theme (like the location). In theory, all episodes are continuations of eachother as long as they are linked.

But this is my personal opinion.

Also, the episode in which Farfetch'd was caught was more like 2 episodes in one. The first half focussed on the battle of 2 members of the top 8 and the introduction of Sonia + setup for the future. And the second part focussed on Farfetch'd. Starting with the trainer who seeks a Pokémon center because Farfetch'd challenged everyone on the bridge and ending with Farfetch'd being caught and battling Riolu again.

I didn't mind the shorter story of Farfetch'd capture. If it was a full episode I feel like they had to patch the episode anyway to have the needed runtime. It was a good segment. It learned the viewers Farfetch'd personality. It didn't realy felt like a 5 minutes afterthought. But perhaps since I thought this part was more amusing than the fight, this part felt a lot shorter for some people?

Again, my personal opinion.

Last edited:
Honestly, Goh's Scyther deserved an evolution more than Ash's Farfetch'd at this point. Scyther was amongst his first set of captures, was reasonably tough, and has received plenty of attention and focus, particularly in the food shortage episode. Farfetch'd on the other hand has done bugger all until very recently. We shouldn't be giving unearned priority to Ash's Pokémon like this, even if the other Pokémon is Goh's.

It's as I maintained when the episode was revealed: This was too soon for Sirfetch'd. They're still catching up after many episodes of just sitting around.

Honestly, Goh's Scyther deserved an evolution more than Ash's Farfetch'd at this point. Scyther was amongst his first set of captures, was reasonably tough, and has received plenty of attention and focus, particularly in the food shortage episode. Farfetch'd on the other hand has done bugger all until very recently. We shouldn't be giving unearned priority to Ash's Pokémon like this, even if the other Pokémon is Goh's.
Scyther never won. It lost to a Dark type and a Scorbunny who didn't know a Fire move and had one of it's moves 4 times resisted. The evolution was also f***ing lame. Like, It didn't even glow or something.

What is this show's obsession with tough looking guys crying all the time? It's bad enough 99% of the Black Belts are on the verge of tears but now we have Elite Four members doing it? It was nice to see an Elite Four member with a full team though, I'll admit. Normally we're lucky to see two.

Strike's evolution in Hassam was the lamest the show has ever given us. No effect, no transformation, just a picture transition. Did the episode run out of money when it came to animating that scene?
You’re right about the Scyther evolution, the least they could have done is get out of the Pokeball and then show the sprite.

Honestly, the crying is fine. It’s just passion, which is a lot better than the usual tough, intimidating coach the anime, and a lot of other animes, have given us.

Some early thoughts about the episode:
  • I'm slightly confused as to why Ash and Gou were the only people at the "training camp". I'm guessing this is less of a training camp and more of a personal lessons kinda deal, which makes sense considering how Wikstrom was closely supervising the boys' training in this episode, which wouldn't be as easy if there were 10 times as many people running around.
  • Wikstrom didn't recognize Ash at all despite his achievements in Kalos, which is mildly disappointing but unsurprising considering how the Korrina episode treated Ash.
  • I enjoyed the wide variety of Pokemon that was shown in this episode. Dedenne being part of the maze's obstacles was a bit weird considering it isn't a Steel-type, but we're in Kalos, so... eh, I guess it makes sense.
  • This episode practically confirms that the Gallade trainer will return eventually for a rematch, which basically makes him the first anime-original rival in this series. Looking forward to his future reappearance.
  • G. Farfetch'd's development was very well done in this episode. We got a scene where Ash bonded with G. Farfetch'd by endangering himself just to save G. Farfetch'd and its leek, which built up to G. Farfetch'd doing the exact same thing for Ash during the Wikstrom fight. Detect is a very nice addition to G. Farfetch'd's moveset, considering how the move basically solves its biggest weakness right now: the huge window of vulnerability whenever G. Farfetch'd misses an attack. I'm guessing Detect will be replacing either Brutal Swing or Night Slash.
  • Gou and Scyther's presence in this episode was fine, I think. I'd complain if Gou was the only one here, but at least he's using this opportunity to train one of his Pokemon. Scyther evolving at the end of the episode felt a bit unexpected and unearned, but at least it didn't detract much from the episode. Also, now that he has a Steel-type Pokemon, Gou now owns at least one Pokemon from every type, so that's neat, I guess.
Overall, I feel like G. Farfetch'd's development was the main highlight of this episode. Even though we didn't get a proper battle in this episode, Wikstrom being here is a nice added bonus. I'd say this was a fairly decent episode.

I’m actually glad Farfetch’d didn’t evolve here, I wouldn’t like it to be the same as most of Ash’s Unova Pokémon where they only got focus in the episodes they evolved in - I’m glad their not rushing the evolution.

Thus was still clearly an Ash and Farfetch’d episode, they just found a little something to keep Goh occupied. I don’t freak out about the evolution, Goh catching/evolving is just par for the course...

We're promised a battle with an Elite Four member
Nope. It always seemed like a training segment. What's even the point of an enevolved, in-training Pokemon facing an Elite Four member? No battle should have a forgone conclusion.

I'd be surprised if Ash didn't promise to battle Wikstrom. If not, well, there's plenty of fish.

It's as I maintained when the episode was revealed: This was too soon for Sirfetch'd. They're still catching up after many episodes of just sitting around.
I wouldn’t really say that Scyther had plenty of attention. It’s really only shown up in a handful of episodes and most of those appearances are glorified cameos. Only thing that really was ever established is that it enjoys training/battle and the writers really didn’t do anything with that. The fact that it evolving was basically just a random occurrence that happened at the end of an episode that not only had nothing to do with it but had nothing to do with trading just kinda shows how much of an afterthought it is. At least in Cinderace and Raichu’s cases, the evolution served the plot. This on the other hand was just a lowlight that just made evolution out to be just a cheap tool for Go to get another Pokédex entry rather than to actually develop his Pokémon.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom