• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN084: Lucarionite! Adventure on Mega Island!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is VGC?
The Pokemon Video Game Championships (VGC) is the official competitive scene for Pokemon, whereby players can battle against each other in official tournaments. It's basically the real-life version of the Pokemon World Championships. The current games being used in VGC are Sword and Shield, which is why Galar isn't old news yet despite the Diamond and Pearl remakes having already been announced. Plus, it has been announced that ranked battles will not be available in the upcoming remakes, so competitive focus will most likely still remain with Sword and Shield, where Dynamax is available.

The Pokemon Video Game Championships (VGC) is the official competitive scene for Pokemon, whereby players can battle against each other in official tournaments. It's basically the real-life version of the Pokemon World Championships. The current games being used in VGC are Sword and Shield, which is why Galar isn't old news yet despite the Diamond and Pearl remakes having already been announced. Plus, it has been announced that ranked battles will not be available in the upcoming remakes, so competitive focus will most likely still remain with Sword and Shield, where Dynamax is available.

How important is this competitive aspect of the games for Pokemon Company?

How important is this competitive aspect of the games for Pokemon Company?

They give cash prizes and I'm pretty sure it counts as an Esport.

...I think. IDK....discussion between general game space and Nintendo gets heated and I could see some COD bro get really upset at that comparison

...It seems I chose a fantastic time to jump ship on this series. I'm personally sickened that they're thinking of going to this level. Mega Lucario? Seriously?!

Fuck me, I can't believe I once liked Journeys.

...It seems I chose a fantastic time to jump ship on this series. I'm personally sickened that they're thinking of going to this level. Mega Lucario? Seriously?!

Fuck me, I can't believe I once liked Journeys.
What's wrong with Mega Lucario?

What's wrong with Mega Lucario?

Indeed. Like are there mons that probably would work better and with less potential for berserk mode (Yeah, hello Charizard and Sceptile). However this isn't a bad choice.

I've grown to dislike Lucario, only Satoshi's, because it is getting so much attention despite being bland due to lacking a distinctive personality.
At this point, I'd rather see it being released or sent to the Ranch.

Not helping it is the fact that its species tend to have overexposure.
Same goes for Lizardon.

To be completely fair, Ash's Lucario was severely underfocused for a good while between its evolution and before the battle against Volkner, so the claim that it's been shoved down our throats is at best exaggerated. Yes, it did recieve a lot of focus as a Riolu, but again that didn't last, so I do find it a bit presumptuous to start complaining about Lucario being overexposed when it's barely started getting spotlight again after being out of it for so long.

As for Charizard, while I do admit to being annoyed by its overexposure, I think that the problem isn't with that overexposure in and of itself and more with how Charizard is constantly pushed as the objectively greatest, coolest, bestest, most amazingest, most powerfulest Pokemon to ever roam this Earth, and we will prove it by making every other Pokemon around it look as useless and pathetic as possible! None of the overmarketed Pokemon are handled in this manner, so they don't step on anyone's toes like Charizard does, making their overexposure easier to tolerate by comparison. I personally don't think I'd mind Charizard being everywhere or appearing in every game if its marketing hadn't been so reliant on making every other Pokemon worse just to artificially inflate the lizard's badassery instead of just letting Charizard shine on its own merits.

To be completely fair, Ash's Lucario was severely underfocused for a good while between its evolution and before the battle against Volkner, so the claim that it's been shoved down our throats is at best exaggerated. Yes, it did recieve a lot of focus as a Riolu, but again that didn't last, so I do find it a bit presumptuous to start complaining about Lucario being overexposed when it's barely started getting spotlight again after being out of it for so long.

As for Charizard, while I do admit to being annoyed by its overexposure, I think that the problem isn't with that overexposure in and of itself and more with how Charizard is constantly pushed as the objectively greatest, coolest, bestest, most amazingest, most powerfulest Pokemon to ever roam this Earth, and we will prove it by making every other Pokemon around it look as useless and pathetic as possible! None of the overmarketed Pokemon are handled in this manner, so they don't step on anyone's toes like Charizard does, making their overexposure easier to tolerate by comparison. I personally don't think I'd mind Charizard being everywhere or appearing in every game if its marketing hadn't been so reliant on making every other Pokemon worse just to artificially inflate the lizard's badassery instead of just letting Charizard shine on its own merits.
I can understand that in the case of Lucario but in the case of Charizard that seems to me another way of overexposure but it does not feel more tolerable in my opinion, overexposure is overexposure regardless of the context! .w.

I can understand that in the case of Lucario but in the case of Charizard that seems to me another way of overexposure but it does not feel more tolerable in my opinion, overexposure is overexposure regardless of the context! .w.
I never said Charizard's case wasn't overexposure, though. On the contrary, what I said is that the specific way Charizard is overexposed is where the problem lies rather than with the overexposure itself. I get that it's easy to find overexposure in and of itself annoying, but the fact of the matter is that it's going to happen with literally anything that's popular, and not just in Pokemon (see also: Chris Pratt being cast as Mario in the upcoming movie, which I can assure you is something that only happened because of how popular that specific actor is)

I never minded Lucario, as an species, being featured so much until now.

But seeing how it is still the default/to go Mega Evolved Pokemon.
Adding the fact that Satoshi's barely has any personality or development, never did anything to deserve this in the first place.
This move feels very contrived.

The last straw is the possibility of the staff doing this only to shill it tirelessly.

Edit: I haven't considered the chance of them being lazy and rehashing Corni's Arc.

Last edited:
I never said Charizard's case wasn't overexposure, though. On the contrary, what I said is that the specific way Charizard is overexposed is where the problem lies rather than with the overexposure itself. I get that it's easy to find overexposure in and of itself annoying, but the fact of the matter is that it's going to happen with literally anything that's popular, and not just in Pokemon (see also: Chris Pratt being cast as Mario in the upcoming movie, which I can assure you is something that only happened because of how popular that specific actor is)
I know that and I can understand that, the overexposure of very popular characters was always a problem with the franchises and it becomes annoying over time but it does not seem to have any effect on that popularity according to the same franchises! (oh yes I'm not surprised that Chris Pratt is the voice of Mario, he's basically the directors' first choice even with his image issues now!)

This whole “I’m going to hate all of Ash’s strong/ace Pokémon every gen” mentality is tired.

Wait, people hate Dragonite and Krookodile!?

...And yeah, it is kind of annoying. Like the only one of them that ever, to me, felt like it was getting too much was Infernape. And I don't hate Infernape, I just think they could have done more to give the other mons standout moments

The only one I dislike is Lizardon, but that's more an extension of my distaste for Game Freak's attitude towards it.

I actually loved all the other Aces.
But, despite not caring about Lucario, it doesn't fit the criteria due to its irregular attempt at developing it.
Journeys' Ace seems to be Pikachu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom