• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN116: The Strongest Lizardon Battle! Dande VS Alan!! (FAKE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is true, it would be simultaneously frustrating and hilarious. Bringing back Alain just to use him to establish more of Leon's strength seems like such a waste. The Master Class is full of regional Champions who could do the same thing and Cynthia is right there. Not that I would expect her to lose in the first round, but if they really want to use a character to establish how powerful Leon is, Cynthia or most of the other regional Champions would do the same thing. There hasn't been any buildup to a Ash vs. Alain rematch admittedly, but clearly they wanted to keep his involvement a surprise for the Master Class.

It would still make me kind of laugh when they had such an easy way to create hype for the Master Class and clearly people were eager for Ash vs. Alain the moment the Master Class tournament was announced. Using Alain for fodder against Leon instead would be disappointing, but I'd still probably get a laugh from this wasted opportunity.

Those montages that had Lance, Cynthia and Leon on them held true to the end then. The writers spoiled the 3 Master Class opponents for Ash as early as the Bea episodes.

This is actually the worst.
There is no way they didn't do it on purpose. There is no way someone can be so disconnected from everyone.
They're doing this to generate controversy and discussion. That's the only logical explanation.

From Dephendor:

Earlier today, this post was made on 5ch:
WRKTvhB.jpg

This is from a broadcast schedule in an unmentioned magazine, and has staff listings for episode 114 and 115, plus notes about breaks on the 24th and 1st. The guy misspelled Yuji Asada's first name, using the wrong "yu" kanji, but that happens. This is how we used to get news back in the day, this is trustworthy enough.

Half a day later, someone else posted this:
4nJaOMS.jpg

This is the exact same post (name typo included) aside from combining the two "break" notes into one, and adding another new episode title at the bottom. The staff is listed as "Atsuhiro Tomioka, Tetsuo Yajima, Fumihiro Ueno, Takashi Shinohara". The names are not listed with positions, but it's clearly meant to be "screenplay, storyboard, director, animation director" since the only person on the list that holds more than one of these positions is Yajima, whose earlier PM2019 episodes have been as storyboarder. This is NOT the order these lists are normally written in (which is screenplay, director, storyboarder, animation director), and also not the order the names in the other two listings follow. Ueno's last name is also written the way he USED to write his name in the distant past (上野), rather than the way he (and whatever magazine this would've come from) writes it nowadays (ウヱノ). The typo in Asada's name is understandable as just sloppy transcription, but this isn't something someone transcribing from a magazine would've done.

I don't know about this one. Take it with a mountain of salt until a less dodgy source comes out

I REALLY hope he's right.

Ash not beating Alan feels wrong. Especially since Alan fighting Leon would be a forgone conclusion...

Let Alan lose to anyone BUT Leon! I want him to lose...but not to the guy who's the endgame and unbeatable until then...

Guys... I don't think it's fake. I want it to be, but I'm just trying to be realistic. This is DEFINITELY something Anipoke will do.
We're all just upset so we're in denial. There is definitely bias involved in the belief that it's fake.
I'll be glad to be proven wrong, though.

I been saying this for a while. Alain came back to sell Charizard merch. Lance, Cynthia, Leon were always gonna be Ash's opponents. They've been teasing it since the start of the series. Personally I don't mind since Ash beating the person who wrecks Alain already proves that he's better than him now. Beating him wouldn't retroactively redeem the Kalos League Finals either

No reserves is the biggest flaw of the tournament so far to me

If this really is real and Ash isn't the one to defeat Alain, there was no point in bringing in Alain. To simply be fodder for Leon? If that was the case, it should have just been another really strong E4 member, Paul, or Alder. Or even a former champion like Mustard or Peony.
I can't really blame them for not including Mustard or Peony. It's way too late to introduce them and they'd probably want Leon to be the only Galar representation in the tournament too. An Elite 4 member would stick out a bit too much with almost everyone else being a regional Champion. I think bringing Paul back to be Leon fodder would be similarly disappointing, if not just slightly less frustrating. Alder would have been a better choice. While I didn't like his characterization in BW, it could have explained more as to how Iris became the current Champion and maybe given him some better personality traits.

I been saying this for a while. Alain came back to sell Charizard merch. Lance, Cynthia, Leon were always gonna be Ash's opponents. They've been teasing it since the start of the series. Personally I don't mind since Ash beating the person who wrecks Alain already proves that he's better than him now. Beating him wouldn't retroactively redeem the Kalos League Finals either

No reserves is the biggest flaw of the tournament so far to me
That was a big reason why I didn't see the appeal of Ash vs. Alain. People kept acting as if it would make up for that defeat when it wouldn't change anything. I still can't blame people for being upset or disappointed for this seemingly being confirmed either. Ash vs. Alain still would have been an easy way to create hype for the Master Class and drawn a lot of attention for the tournament, especially when the XY League finale is pretty infamous on top of being fairly recent all things considered. Bringing Alain back just to sell more Charizard merch and hype up Leon feels much more like a waste by comparison. If they weren't going to battle in the Master Class, they could have easily made Ash vs. Alain part of the Hyper Class instead. It just seems kind of unnecessary to keep Alain's involvement in the PWC a surprise for the Master Class if it wasn't going to lead to a rematch between him and Ash.

Personally, I don't mind Ash not using his reserves. On one hand, it would be a good way to make use of his different Pokemon and could make the idea of Ash defeating Champion level trainers more believable. But on the other hand, I never really thought that they were going to rely on his reserves in the first place. Ash's Journeys team have carried him to the Masters Class, so I didn't think that they'd need to bring in his reserves for the last stretch of the PWC. Reminding the audience that he has older Pokemon always felt more like fanservice or tying in with the Sinnoh remakes more so than anything else. Besides that, Ash's Journeys team kind of needs all the screentime it can get. Bringing in the reserves would probably result in a Johto League situation where the older Pokemon outshine the current Pokemon in what should be their last time to really shine before Ash inevitably gets a new team in the next series.

I can't really blame them for not including Mustard or Peony. It's way too late to introduce them and they'd probably want Leon to be the only Galar representation in the tournament too. An Elite 4 member would stick out a bit too much with almost everyone else being a regional Champion. I think bringing Paul back to be Leon fodder would be similarly disappointing, if not just slightly less frustrating. Alder would have been a better choice. While I didn't like his characterization in BW, it could have explained more as to how Iris became the current Champion and maybe given him some better personality traits.
At the same time, Galar is in serious need of representation. It would have been a good way to give some focus to characters from the region, and both Peony and Mustard are strong enough to stand with them. To be fair though, Alain himself does stand out as simply the winner of the Lumiose Conference compared to all of the regional champions. He's more on the Elite 4 level himself, so an actual E4 member isn't too farfetched. In this case, saving Raihan for the Masters 8 and making Alain or Paul the gatekeeper would have been better. Though in regards to Alder, yes. I didn't like the sleazy old guy characterization either, but I'm with you. I do remember you aren't that on board with Iris becoming Unova Champion because of the lack of build up and such, but having Alder around could help fill in the gaps.

At the same time, Galar is in serious need of representation. It would have been a good way to give some focus to characters from the region, and both Peony and Mustard are strong enough to stand with them. To be fair though, Alain himself does stand out as simply the winner of the Lumiose Conference compared to all of the regional champions. He's more on the Elite 4 level himself, so an actual E4 member isn't too farfetched. In this case, saving Raihan for the Masters 8 and making Alain or Paul the gatekeeper would have been better. Though in regards to Alder, yes. I didn't like the sleazy old guy characterization either, but I'm with you. I do remember you aren't that on board with Iris becoming Unova Champion because of the lack of build up and such, but having Alder around could help fill in the gaps.
Galar would definitely benefit from having more representation, but given that Leon has been put on a pedestal for most of the series, I can understand why they wouldn't want to include more characters from Galar. That being said, Raihan could have worked since they said that he could become the Champion of another region in the games and using him to hype up Leon's strength wouldn't have felt like a stretch. I think they could have removed Marnie to have a Alain battle in the Hyper Class instead. As cool as it was for the anime to feature Piers and Marnie, it felt too little, too late, especially when Marnie being in the Hyper Class felt like a bit of a stretch.

It's true that I'm still not on board with Iris becoming the Unova Champion. I finally saw the episode and I still hate that Iris became the Unova Champion off-screen. Admittedly, given how they wanted the Master Class to represent all eight generations, the writers were kind in a tight spot since Iris is the Unova Champions in the games and with the fast pace of the series, they couldn't really devote much time to explain how it happened. It still felt extremely forced and unbelievable given her characterization, but they also probably didn't have a lot of options when it comes to Unova representation. Alder could have been used to fill in the gap here though.

Honestly, I find it sad that so many of you want Ash to defeat Alain rather than Lance or Steven. Greninja isn't even around, for crying out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom