• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

[JOURNAL] That Forgotten Promise

Triskelia

Reaction score
A thread documenting my comments, reactions, and analysis for every chapter of That Forgotten Promise (by Felibunny).
NOTE: Based on AO3 ratings, the author has rated the story as Mature/ Explicit.

With the release of a new multichapter Darksteelshipping story, I am starting another thread for this fanfic alone.
As of writing, there is a total of 20 chapters expected to be published on AO3 within the following weeks.
This may be subjected to changes by the author, but I shall take note of any as I go along.

They made a promise when they were seven. One that he had outgrown, and she had forgotten due to a traumatic experience. With the Pokémon World Championships approaching, they are once again reunited, but not under the same circumstances as they had hoped for back then.

Surprised to learn that Cynthia no longer remembers him, Steven resolves to learn about her past, as an evil lurks in the shadow, threatening to engulf her in her nightmares once again.

Ratings will be updated to E as story progresses.

Chapter 1: Prologue - Past
A backstory serving as the introductory piece presents with a sentimental tone that will most likely be significant in future recollections. The first chapter begins with 7-year-olds Steven and Cynthia attending a summer camp in the Kanto region, 18 years prior to future events in the story. The vanity of a young Wallace along with a distraughtly wandering Gible set the circumstances for a fateful encounter between the two children. Despite the stark contrast to their upbringing, they find common ground in shared troubles, dreams, and promises.

Childhood Innocence

Set in the younger years of our [future] champions, the chapter is told in the perspective of a child. This is evident in the characters’ dialogues and thought process. We see innocent banters, displays of natural curiosity, finding the opposite gender annoying, silly nicknames, and puppy love. Of course, Steven and Cynthia stood out amidst their own childlike qualities. The boy has shown maturity for his age, while the girl was considerate of Steven and the possible consequences of his actions.

The Only Exception

'Girls are so annoying anyway…’ - Steven
‘Boys are so childish… they are mean and unlikable…’ - Cynthia

Kids will be kids. Often finding the opposite gender to be annoying. However, the young Steven and Cynthia may have found the exception to these words.

Steven found girls annoying since most did not show ambitions of their own. But Cynthia was different in his eyes because she strives to become a strong trainer in her own right. Cynthia found boys to be unlikable due to their constant bullying. But Steven was different in her eyes because he was a protector who believed in her ambitions.

No wonder they gravitate towards each other!

Broadening Horizons
Something that I’ve noticed in this chapter would be the subtle emphasis on the values upheld by the young Steven and Cynthia. The boy proclaims himself as a protector while the girl seeks to become stronger. Of course, these are self-explanatory and seem to be taken at face value. However, I personally see an underlying impression on how such fateful encounter gave a glimpse of meaning to their ideals.

With his upbringing as an heir, Steven sees himself as someone destined to shoulder certain responsibilities. The boy has said multiple times this chapter that he would protect Cynthia. His idea of being a protector aligns with a sense of duty; that a Champion’s job is to defend the weak. Meanwhile, the girl from a humble background is shown to be timid and less assertive with her goals. Cynthia wishes to grow strong as a trainer in order to prove herself, yet fails to do so in the hands of bullies.

Meeting each other unknowingly broadened their horizons. For the first time in his life, Steven has found someone worth protecting. He fulfilled his words when he defended the girl in trouble. Likewise, Cynthia realized that strength was not limited to Pokemon battles alone. For the first time, she found true strength by standing up against her bullies.

The Promise Set to be Forgotten?
“... once we both become Champions, we will have an official battle among us… to see who is stronger!” - Cynthia
“a-and… i-if I w-win… I-I will m-marry you when I grow up!” - Steven

Innocent words masked in foreshadowing. It makes us wonder what events will transpire in the future that would lead to forgotten promises. Regardless, we’ll await if any would be fulfilled in upcoming chapters.

Checklist Update:
0/4 promises fulfilled

▢ Become Champions
▢ Have an official battle [as Champions]
▢ Determine the stronger Champion
▢ Cynthia's hand in marriage [upon Steven's victory]

Chapter 2: Fate
Fast forward to the present day, chapter 2 sees an adult Cynthia and Steven stumbling across each other after 18 years. These two just keep meeting at the most unlikely of places! Previously from a gang of bullies, now during an underwater exploration in the Abyssal Ruins. Their not-so-pleasant reunion had me chuckling because of Cynthia's accusations of Steven being a tomb raider (quite the source of income, Mr. Stone!). Of course, like the gentlemanly rock extraordinaire that he was, his intentions with the found relic turns out to be good. However, the chapter did not only focus on such eventual reunion. There were some details and points that I wish to comment on.

The Dark, Blurry Past

It was pointed out a few times that Cynthia had experienced a traumatic incident during her childhood which left her with Dissociative Amnesia. We are not given any further details about the event, especially considering that this is just the second chapter. There would most likely be snippets in future chapters that will slowly unravel this mysterious and dark past. For now, we can settle with the information that Cynthia did not deliberately forget about Steven but had suffered trauma that blocked a portion of her early memories. Although, there is a hint of hope that Cynthia has not totally forgotten about that heroic young boy from the summer camp. In one instance, she remembers a small hand holding a ribbon towards her. The other was implied in the Abyssal Ruins which could double as a foreshadowing:

It would seem as though all these inscriptions of worship are directed towards a highly revered individual who existed during the time, who had probably acted as a beacon for his people during the tumultuous days. The mere thought that there was an individual who held that much power and had used his position for the good of the people sends whirls of warmth swirling within the pits of her stomach.
The passage she read might subtly refer to Steven. It was said that Cynthia's ideal man was someone with a strong sense of justice. As children, Steven had displayed this kind of character to her and had left an impression. Unbeknownst to Cynthia, she subconsciously associates her ideal type to him even years after the incident. She may not put a face to this character yet, but her heart truly knows. Her trauma is definitely significant to the plot and that alone makes us all the more curious!

180° Personality Change

He wonders briefly why there were no traces of the girl he used to know found inside of this alluring lady standing before him. The way she crosses her arms and stares at him, with her piercing gaze unwavering, it is almost hard to believe that this was the same cry baby whom he had known from before.
I've only known little Steven and Cynthia for one chapter, but I miss them already! Since chapter 2 is set during their adult years, one can expect a drastic change in personality. The highly noticeable change was more for Cynthia, but Steven himself explicitly hints to being a different person as well. It's amusing to think how they will navigate their relationship from here on, considering that their childhood innocence had struck them a friendship years ago. Are their younger selves completely gone along with the promises they made? Or are they simply repressed under the masks of their powerful demeanor?

The Plot-Heavy Narrative

While this is mostly a speculation on my part, I believe that the story would have little to no 'filler' chapters; barely straying away from the main plot. The pacing was seamlessly focused and did not drag on any further than necessary. The author is already building-up the suspense as early as the second chapter. How things would unfold from here is definitely worth the wait!

Checklist Update:
1/4 promises fulfilled

☑ Become Champions

Last edited:
Chapter 3: Impressions
A day after reuniting with each other, Cynthia finds herself relaxing off the shores of Undella Town. What she did not expect was becoming an audience to the drama about to unfold between Steven and Elesa. The horde of women surrounding him irks her as much as his playboy tendencies. However, she is given a glimpse that there might be more to Steven than what meets the eye.

It's not you, it's me

What's a breakup without the classic "It's not you, it's me" statement that leaves us hanging on what truly went wrong most of the time. Steven indirectly voices out his reasons in a similar manner. This particular scene in the chapter reveals a Casanova side to Steven, although he does recognize his carelessness in handling such casual relationships. This sets him apart from the stereotypical playboy who has little regard to the feelings of women. For Steven, this side of him ironically stems from a fear of getting his heart broken by the woman he loves.

This in itself shows a certain ironic depth to Steven's character. He tries to distance himself through superficial relationships, but there is a hint of wanting something that lasts. He is quite annoyed in the amount of female attention yet is not above using his charisma to woo Cynthia.

A Closed Book

The man is truly an enigma, in more ways than just one.
Steven is a closed book who occasionally gives us a peek of his contents. Elesa describes him to be cold-hearted while Cynthia sees him as the typical womanizer for a man his status. However, if there is one thing we've learned from her initial accusations of him as a tomb raider, Steven Stone is more than what he presents himself to be. It was briefly mentioned that Elesa witnessed a gentle and compassionate side to his persona; a side he purposely tries to keep hidden from the public. We also find him approaching a crying child in the chapter's end. My personal guess is that he keeps his gentleness and compassion at bay in order to protect himself and his feelings. He might see these qualities as vulnerabilities that can lead him down the same fate as his father.

Checklist Update:
1/4 promises fulfilled

☑ Become Champions

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom