• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Junichi Masuda to make announcement on 'Pokémon Smash!' Sept. ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Junichi Masuda to make announcement on 'Pokémon Smash!' Sept. ...

Game Director Junichi Masuda is scheduled to appear on Pokémon Smash! Sunday, Sept. 18, to make an announcement.

Read more on Bulbanews

Or the Pokemon Wii game for Gen V coming to light! D8

Apparently because they've said something about a Mewtwo event next week it can't be anything else. People seem to forget there is also that thing on Tuesday.

Yeah no, I still don't believe they'll cover up Mewtwo for the sale of Mewtwo. Of course, it could be glowy eyed mewtwo in the same vein as spiky eared pichu.

Of course, it could be glowy eyed mewtwo in the same vein as spiky eared pichu.
It doesn't have to be anything gimmicky. If anything, the example of Spiky-eared Pichu shows that Masuda can and will treat the distribution of an old Pokémon as big news if it leads the way to a new game. When he personally promoted Spiky-eared Pichu and its shiny variant in March and April 2009, he did it to foreshadow HGSS.

Yeah but the point stands. Covering up regular old Mewtwo just for that reason is ridiculous. I know, I know, kids show, but still its irritating. And hell, Tuesday might as well have a game, so its not all bad.
Edit:
We're back to a game, both are separate news pieces.

Last edited:
Possible Shadow Mewtwo as in an XD sequel?

There is that possibility, though I'm just snowballing here. The logic comes from the fact the other 2 Cipher Legacy games had the Johto Power 2 (Ho-oh in Colo, Shadow Lugia in XD) and I'd not be surprised if this Mewtwo was also Shadowfied to finish the 251 trinity of 680ers.

I think it'll be a Mewtwo event which will only work on a third game such as Pokemon Grey. That'd be the best way things could play out.

I hazard to guess that it was a new game or something, it feels too soon to B/W's release for a proper, new main series game, sadly.
Though as this is apparently some big announcement, if it IS just the Mewtwo, I assume there will be something special about that Mewtwo, be it patching something into the game, unlocking something in a future game, a slightly different sprite.

...It'd be cool if it unlocked a Genosect-related event.

Eh seeing as it would be out by early 2012, it would be over a year and a half since it first came out, so early or not is subjective.

Eh seeing as it would be out by early 2012, it would be over a year and a half since it first came out, so early or not is subjective.

It's not to say it would come early 2012. Depending on what stage the game is at if it's the wanted third fifth gen game it could see a Japanese release in December 2011 and then early 2012 for elsewhere.

Every announcement is important to them. Masuda usually doesn't appear unless it's really important, though. I was wondering if enough time had passed for something to at last be announced. If it is just an event promo, then meh. I wouldn't expect too much, though.

This is hard to draw conclusions from. That much I can say.

Now, Mewtwo. What are you doing here being promoted both in the TCG, the TV-show and possibly even by Masuda?

Hmmm... I don't know what this will be. Possibly a BR style game for B/W? Maybe TCG for DS? B/W Mystery Dungeon? Maybe even RSEmakes?

Ahh, who am I kidding. It's probably nothing for us around the world, something only for people in Japan, like the Battrio set.

It's Junichia Masuda though, so it's gotta be big news for him to be on announcing it.

Here's my theory *puts on labcoat and dramatically takes out a pen to write on a white board*

Now, we know that Mewtwo is the mascot of the Psycho Drive half of the next Japanese TCG expansion "Psycho Drive/Hail Blizzard" (with Kyurem being the mascot of Hail Blizzard). I imagined Mewtwo was chosen as a clear symbol of mixing old Pokémon with new; as the new set is the first BW era set to include non-Unova Pokémon. However, if we simply think of it as that; then we are clearly not looking into it hard enough!

Junichi Masuda is making an appearance to apparently announce the event. Now, Junichi Masuda is the Director of the Board at GameFreak, who make the main series games. Outside of the main series, he has had limited contact with the franchise; the only games that don't connect to the main series at all that he has been involved with are Puzzle Challenge, the e-Reader games "Machop at Work" and "Kingler's Day" and the Pokémon stages in Super Smash Bros. - he was the composer for all except the former (he was an advisor for Puzzle Challenge). Outside of that, his work with the franchise is limited to the movies (Movies 6-7, 9-11 and a few specials).
If this is a game distribution to promote the TCG it would not be Junichi Masuda's job to appear on the show, it would be Tsunekazu Ishihara's.

Besides, with past distributions, Masuda hasn't appeared at all. The only time he has appeared is when it has been connected to a new Pokémon or a main series game. Now, the question mark block could be covering a new piece of promotional artwork for a Mewtwo event,which seems unlikely on it's own, unless said artwork was related to an event in an upcoming game. For example:

424px-Pichupichushrine.png

Spiky-Eared Pichu Pichu was unveiled in December 2008, and Pikachu-Coloured Pichu was unveiled in March 2009, whereas HGSS were not announced until May 2009. Sure, this piece of artwork and PCP's relation to HGSS wasn't released until June 2009, but at that time, TPC had the Arceus movie to feature Spiky-Eared Pichu in.

Now, people may think "What? A Pokémon game announced in September?!". However, FireRed/Leaf Green were announced in September 2003 and released in January 2004. Crystal was released in December 2000. So, it isn't unbelievable to think that the game could be announced this month, and either released around Christmas, or early next year.

Bringing it back to the TCG for a second. Why would Kyurem be the mascot of Hail Blizzard if there was already a recently released Kyurem card in Red Collection? Wouldn't it have made sense to delay that one card for the next set? I'm guessing TPC did this deliberately so that people wouldn't be asking "Wait, we have all the Unova Pokémon, so why not Kyurem?" and put 2 and 2 together, ruining the 'shock' of a third version announcement. Sure, I'm a little confused as to why they wouldn't just release a set when the game is out? (PD/HB is due out on the 16th - even if a third version is announced, I highly doubt it will be released then xD).

Now it wouldn't surprise if at least, we hear that Mewtwo will have an effect in an upcoming game; although a new game announcement wouldn't surprise me either.

Last edited:
If it is a game event it could just be for the rumble game on the 3DS.
Though in honesty I would love for them to release the third gen V game on the 3DS, to see those cities in 3D and Skyarrow Bridge, that would be wonderful.

Looks like Mewtwo is getting so much attention today since the fact he got axed in Brawl. This may be connected to his signature move, Psystrike. I do wonder if this also means he'll be back for tne next Smash Bros. game this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom