• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

JUST A THOUGHT: POKEMON MMORPG

celeblaiz

~Happy~
Reaction score
I know that there are many unevolved mmoprgs for pokemon so far, but they are based off the gameboy games mostly. Think about placing your thoughts and characteristcics into the game and applying them to your pokemon and job choices.​

I was talking with a few friends of myne online and they have come up with serval ideas for a pokemon mmorpg. They offered suggestions of better graphics such as the last gale of darkness and battle revolutions games included into the style. I don't believe in the off gameboy style of pokemon play because it is much of the pokemon themselves and not of the relationship between trainer and pokemon. Has anyone ever wished to just be able to communicate with their pokemon in the games to be able to train them and raise them as they wish to? How bout some creativity injected into the games such as trainer clothing and face styles including customization of body posture, age, and height.

An what about a socializing system to accummilate the pokemon's actions by the relationship between it and it's trainer as well as the opposing threat. Environment should also become useful with everyday life nessities to the moves that requires additional training to fully master them.

Of course Nintendo is a company within japan that has based its games off of it's hardware such as the wii, ds and gameboy advances. However, they have not reached the level of multiplayers to what the company for the XBOX 360 has aquired. If they did create a system that would embrace the thought of applying mmorpgs to the maximum number of 3d animation and graphics as well as preventing lag inbetween servers, and channels. of course it would require a large amount of memory and video memory which the small memory cards couldn't be able to handle. They would need to incorperate a user friendly model of a cpu officially for mmorpg gameplay.

What are your thoughts?

I had the exact same thought yesterday, how weird.
I think a Pokémon mmorpg could actually work really well, if it was done correctly. Battling other real-life people in a Pokémon game just by walking around? Come on. That would be awesome.

This isn't the first time this thought has poped up. Give it cool cartoon-esque cell shading graphics instead of the 3D models. The Pokemon come out fine, but the trainers look so bad in 3D.

I'd rather it not be an MMO, but an awsome Wii game that has a lot of wifi capabilities, since you know, real people in the fandom are annoying.

Im for it as long as its not online like other MMORPGS we should make it on the Wii and it would rule!

Yeah, we need another Pokemon game for the Wii. When you say, cell-shading, do you mean like the graphics from Zelda: Windwaker? That would be cool in that type of water cell animation. (Yes, i'm really that clueless about graphic types)

I think it would be an awesome idea. It will likely never get made, but a Pokemon MMORPG would have a lot of potential. The focus would pretty much be on PvP battling, and there'd be lots of tournaments. Maybe even different ranks you could get, so there'd be places for beginners to compete, and places for experts to compete, too.

Not to mention a true, fully explorable world, with all sorts of different places in each of the regions. Gyms in each region, and story events based off of the various evil teams, with some new ones added in, too. Legendary Pokemon could also have their own story events, although they'd be uncatchable (to keep them 'legendary').

Im for it as long as its not online like other MMORPGS we should make it on the Wii and it would rule!

...Are you aware what the O in MMORPG stands for? o_O

If it had a decent solo campaign, I would be onboard. I'm not much into PvP.

It'd be awesome, but I don't think it will ever get made. And pokemon console games need to start using cel-shading and not that shitty 3D period.
And more things to besides battle and contests. They're boring game after game. It'd be nice to see some of the competitions and ideas from the anime incorporated.

And more things to besides battle and contests. They're boring game after game. It'd be nice to see some of the competitions and ideas from the anime incorporated.

Well adding things aside from Battling and Contests wouldn't allow them to overprice crappy spin offs :p

Though Ranger and MD seem cool

Nintendo is too kid-friendly, That's why they made that whole "Friend Code" system, so I doubt anything like that will ever be officially developed. But nonetheless, it would be great and I would certainly play it.

I don't know about other countries but here in Sweden, Pokémon is kinda dead now and only thrives as a "cult" franchise... But maybe such a game has potential in other parts of the world. I'd definitely give it a try!

Ugh. You guys think in such ridiculously linear, trend-driven terms that I can't even express how stupid this sounds. Solo-Campaign? Cell-Shading? Story Events? Separate places for beginners and experts to compete? PvP? What are you thinking?

Ugh. You guys think in such ridiculously linear, trend-driven terms that I can't even express how stupid this sounds. Solo-Campaign? Cell-Shading? Story Events? Separate places for beginners and experts to compete? PvP? What are you thinking?

Would you mind explaining exactly what is so wrong with a hypothetical MMORPG featuring elements that are found in basically every game in the genre, such as PvP, and giving players the chance to compete with people of similar skill? Story events appear in most MMOs in some form or another as well, and I fail to see what the problem is with the idea of using cell-shaded graphics. Sure, most MMOs have little single-player stuff - after all, there needs to be encouragement for people to team up - but the games are typically still playable by yourself, though you'd be getting far less out of it.

Personally, I think a Pokémon MMO could be great, as long as they didn't try to base the gameplay on the main series games - turn-based combat in an MMORPG just doesn't work right. It would be very unlikely we'd ever see one, since Nintendo doesn't go for that kind of thing, as proven by their use of the Friend Code system, and Pokémon is a franchise aimed mainly at children, who are not the sort of people who play MMORPGs. It's a good idea, but I doubt it will ever be more than just an idea.

I'll explain: A "Solo-Campaign" would just be plain stupid. The Pokemon games need less linearity, not more. There should be no "campaign" for the gyms, but that wasn't even my main point.
Cell-Shading would be dumb, and the mention of it is nitpicky. If the game is good, then the graphics wouldn't matter. And Cell-shading would not look good for Pokemon. Sorry, but Viewtiful Ash would be weird. If they game is good, then it really doesn't matter what the graphics are anyways.
Story events simply place more emphasis that in MMORPGs, there is no story. You have no affect upon anything in the game, no matter how good you are.
Separating places for beginners and experts would defeat the spirit of a living Pokemon world. I see the point, but stating it so explicitly is just stupid.
PvP is a throwaway feature. If your game doesn't have it, it is trash. TRASH. PvP has been around since MUDs, and a Pokemon game not to feature it would be like turning it into a retarded cousin to the original games.

Not only this, but all of the things people have mentioned here are the kind of things you see on the back of the box for a horrible, generic MMORPG that has no outstanding or special features. Seriously- go and find out. Last Chaos is a good example. Go to some other websites for MMORPGs. Find one that doesn't boast "Exciting story", "Amazing Graphics", and "Form a Party!" along with "Battle your friends!."
Frankly, I don't think a Pokemon MMORPG would be a bad idea. But for one, it isn't going to happen, and two, they would never do it well. I've considered actually making a Pokemon online game(Nothing like this, in case you wanted to know), but I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to it or be able to write the engine I want.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom