• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Te-em

I want to rp!
Reaction score
How do you type Japanese characters on the Internet?

Depends on what operating system you have.

If you have anything other than Windows, then I have no idea, sorry.

If you have "Windows Me, Windows 98, Windows 95, or Windows NT 4.0 and not running Office XP," according to this page, you need to go to the link provided and download a Global IME (Input Method Editor).

If you have "Windows Me, Windows 98, or Windows NT 4.0 and running Office XP," you "will want to upgrade to the Global IMEs for Office XP."

If you're using Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, or Vista, I can help you, as the IME comes built-in and I have 2 of the 4.

Generally, you will need to go to your Control Panel in the Start menu, the "Clock, Language, and Region" thing, the "Change keyboards or other input methods" thing, then hit the "Change keyboards" button, or something along those lines (for XP, it's Control Panel>Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options>Add other languages>Details). Hit the "Add..." button, then check (or in XP, select and add one-by-one) the languages you want to add.

Now the following is important, as it caused me a bit of grief just now: when you go to add the kind of Japanese keyboard you want, DO NOT check the box next to or otherwise select "Japanese." Choose "Microsoft IME" or anything with that in it. (If that confuses anyone: the language you want is Japanese; the keyboard you want for it is Microsoft IME.) Then press OK (which automatically applies the changes).

I think the Language bar will show up automatically as long as you have more than one keyboard setting. If it's not a little square with "EN" (or a shortened version of whatever language's keyboard you're using) in the lower right, then it'll be somewhere around your screen, enlongated. (And you can minimize it to a little out-of-the-way taskbar square.) What you want to do is click (not right-click) it, select JP, and make sure it's set to "Additional items in taskbar" by right-clicking and selecting it if it's not.

To change between hiragana, katakana, and Roman letters, click the button whose caption if you put the mouse over it is "Input Mode" and, for the most normal-looking, choose Hiragana/Full-width Katakana/Half-width Alphanumeric, respectively. Don't forget to switch back to your regular keyboard when you're done.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Wow, it works! Thanks!
ありがとう

どういたしまして。 :)

That's good to know.

However I can't make it stay on the writing system

EDIT: I got it now.
ありがとう

Last edited:
ありがとう、カスリイン。 これはいいですねえ!

I'm a noob to Japanese. Someone let me know if that made sense. >_>

Last edited:
ありがとう、カスリイン。 これはいいですねえ!

I'm a noob to Japanese. Someone let me know if that made sense. >_>

There is no え at the end of the last sentence, but other than that it is correct.

he could've just been extending it (which usually conveys a relaxed tone or something along the lines). Though, I think people tend to use a ぇ (the half-sized え) or a ー more often.

Or if you and a little "tsu", っ, to the end, the sound is shortened.

he could've just been extending it (which usually conveys a relaxed tone or something along the lines). Though, I think people tend to use a ぇ (the half-sized え) or a ー more often.

The textbook I use teaches vocabulary and grammar, but it's only written in Romaji. I have a second book to teach kana, but it's recommended (by the authors) that I learn words before writing. The vocab textbook spells the expression nee with a second e, so I thought the え was necessary. Maybe I should at least skim the kana book too. ^_^

Last edited:
The textbook I use teaches vocabulary and grammar, but it's only written in Romaji. I have a second book to teach kana, but it's recommended (by the authors) that I learn words before writing. The vocab textbook spells the expression nee with a second e, so I thought the え was necessary. Maybe I should at least skim the kana book too. ^_^

I assume that book as talking about "nee" as a rough equivalent to the English "hey" (which should be stated before saying anything, not after). If such is the case, then you should know that "ne", unlike "nee", is a sentence-ender, usually for unconfirmed statements.

I thought "nee" was an expression about equivalent to "Isn't it true!" at the end of a sentence, like "Kore wa ii desu, nee!" = "This is great, isn't it!" Is ねー more correct though? It didn't occur me at the time how to type dashes. <_<

(This seems to be turning into more of a tutoring class.)

I thought "nee" was an expression about equivalent to "Isn't it true!" at the end of a sentence, like "Kore wa ii desu, nee!" = "This is great, isn't it!" Is ねー more correct though? It didn't occur me at the time how to type dashes. <_<

(This seems to be turning into more of a tutoring class.)

no, that's "ne", the sentence-ender I was just talking about. But again, you could use ねー if you wanted to make it seem a bit dragged out (like with a lazy tone).

I'm Japanese native so I don't need to use Microsoft IME to write Japanese but I used it to write Korean (and it works well).

As my native sense, "nee" or 「ねえ/ねぇ」 seems to be used as speaking habits of individuals. I think this kind of speaking habits don't exist in English.
Basic expression of "This is good." in Japanese is
これはいいです。
and this can be changed to be
これはいいですね。
これはいいですよ。
これはいいですねえ。(ねぇ。)
これはいい!
これ、いい!
これ、いいぜ! (I think Satoshi/Ash will use like this)
etc...

神事

Ooh, kanji~

愉しみですね。

ボスタスケテ
ボススケテ
ボスケテ

I'm Japanese native so I don't need to use Microsoft IME to write Japanese but I used it to write Korean (and it works well).

As my native sense, "nee" or 「ねえ/ねぇ」 seems to be used as speaking habits of individuals. I think this kind of speaking habits don't exist in English.
Basic expression of "This is good." in Japanese is
これはいいです。
and this can be changed to be
これはいいですね。
これはいいですよ。
これはいいですねえ。(ねぇ。)
これはいい!
これ、いい!
これ、いいぜ! (I think Satoshi/Ash will use like this)
etc...

That post made me really happy. I could read and understand (almost) all of it! =D

I understand that because です is almost always understood, it can be left out; and よ adds assurance, like "This is good, you know."

A few things that stuck out at me though is that I didn't know the は can be left out too (like in the fifth variant), and I'm not familiar with the ぜ at the end of the sixth.

That's a ぜ (ze)! Like how Satoshi goes "Pokemon... getto daze!"

I know its pronounciation, I just don't know what it means. (And I don't watch the pokemon anime much, in English or Japanese, so I don't know what getto daze means either. <_<)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom