• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kanto city names and Gym Leader type correspondences

Andros 1337

Reaction score
Looking at the Kanto city names and the gyms that represent the cities, the following seems to make sense:
  • Pewter City = a grayish color = Rock = Brock
  • Cerulean City = a light shade of Blue = Water = Misty
  • Lavender Town = a light purple = Ghost = Pokémon Tower (okay, not a gym, but still seems to correspond to the city's name)
  • Celadon City = a light green = Grass = Erika
  • Fuschia City = a pinkish-purple = Poison = Koga
  • Cinnabar Island = an orange-red = Fire = Blaine

However, the following don't seem to make any sense at all:
  • Vermilion City = an orange-red similar to Cinnabar = Electric? = Lt. Surge? Shouldn't Electric be Yellow?
  • Saffron City = an orange-yellow shade = Psychic? = Sabrina? I always considered Psychic to be Purple due to the TCG, although some would disagree.
  • Viridian City = a bluish-green shade, more green than blue = Ground? = Giovanni? Ground should definitely be Brown.

So, why would some cities use an appropriate color for their gyms, while others do not?

The city names actually seem to coincide with the Japanese Badge names, rather than the Gym types. Though Celadon was a little lost in translation.

However, the following don't seem to make any sense at all:
  • Vermilion City = an orange-red similar to Cinnabar = Electric? = Lt. Surge? Shouldn't Electric be Yellow?
  • Saffron City = an orange-yellow shade = Psychic? = Sabrina? I always considered Psychic to be Purple due to the TCG, although some would disagree.
  • Viridian City = a bluish-green shade, more green than blue = Ground? = Giovanni? Ground should definitely be Brown.

So, why would some cities use an appropriate color for their gyms, while others do not?

Well, I always seen electric in more of an orange form then Yellow. Not a bright orange, like a yellowish shade but still orange.

Psychic can can any colour we choose I guess. It's such a random thing, it really depends on what each different person thinks of it.

Ground with grass on top is green.

The city names actually seem to coincide with the Japanese Badge names, rather than the Gym types. Though Celadon was a little lost in translation.

Vermilion was somewhat lost as well, since it is the same color as Cinnabar. The Japanese names for Vermilion City and Cinnabar Island do not refer to the same color (Kuchiba is a shade of orange while Guren is a shade of red).

Last edited:
Specifically, the Earth Badge is an sprout that grows on the ground. So Viridian fits it.
Similarly, an spark, as the Thunder Badge represents, is commonly yellow-red.

With the exception of the status screen (as, well, they HAVE to be in SOME color!), types aren't really associated with an specific color. Pokémon isn't your generic RPG that does that. Just an aspect of that type is. Not all rocks are gray either, but gray rocks fit more what the Boulder Badge represents.

Celadon is lost in translation too. Tamamushi is sort of a multicolored (but primarly green) insect, which fits the Rainbow Badge, which shows that flowers have many different colors.

Though now, one thing that DOES bother me... The Soul Badge is for Poison types. Yet, the Marsh Badge is the Psychic one? The japanese use kokoro to mean heart/mind/soul, and a marsh... is kind of a swamp.

I've always thought they mixed Soul and Marsh Badges accidentally and never bothered to correct it afterwards.

Though now, one thing that DOES bother me... The Soul Badge is for Poison types. Yet, the Marsh Badge is the Psychic one? The japanese use kokoro to mean heart/mind/soul, and a marsh... is kind of a swamp.

A Soul is kind of shadowy like a ninja (Koga), and a Marsh can be sort of menacing and mysterious like a Psychic type. Also, a marsh is sort of, well, mushy, like what a Psychic-type does to your brain.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom