• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kanto/Johto Sequels

No evidence of upcoming Kanto games but it will return in the future. Just not in gen 7 thankfully. I rather no other region uses region forms. Alola should keep that luxury to themselves.

Edit: Apparently, an Everstone allows you to breed the regular Kantonian Forms in SM.

Lunatone, Solrock

These two seem particularly noteworthy, because...

There is a very strange event in SM that alludes to them:

I am Mr... Mr... I can’t remember... I am just the ashes left behind... What remains when everything has been given...
I can’t remember any longer... Not how to get back home... Not anything about who I once was...
But in the depths of my memory, I can still see the form of that dear Pokémon... As hazy and distant as a mirage...
It looked...like the sun... My...Sol—
It looked...like the moon... My...Luna—
Ach!!!

Oh... Ohhhh... Yes...
That [VAR PKNAME(0001)] you journey with...
It’s been...30 years...but...
Solll...
Naaaah...
[~ 11]
A mysterious power began to emanate from your [VAR PKNAME(0001)]!
Oh... Ohhhhhh. OH!
I’ve remembered... I’ve remembered everything! How to return home at last... And who I am!
Thank you, [VAR PKNAME(0001)]... And do not worry. Those star pulses that you bestowed upon me 30 years ago have all been made safe. I entrusted them to a group of wonderful men.
Thank you, young [VAR GENDBR(00FF,0403)]manlady... I think I can go home now... Thanks to the power of your [VAR PKNAME(0001)].
Back to space!
Here... This is my thanks. I hope you will take it, without holding back, together with my thoughts and wishes.
I will never forget...the people of this world.
And now...I think I’ll see myself out.
Fare thee well!

Hm...? ... ... ...
That Pokémon you journey with... It is Sol... Solgaleo?
That Pokémon you journey with... It is Luna... Lunala?
No... That’s not it... It’s all wrong...

Where is it? The Pokémon that always protected me? That round body... That rugged form... Those sharp, burning eyes...
Where is it? The Pokémon that always held me close? That curved body... That perfect arc... Coming to the most exquisite points...
If only I could see it once more... I think...I might remember something...

It's a bit hard to parse, but I think I've inserted the breaks at the right points. But evidently, there is an alien man on Earth who met a Solrock/Lunatone and was given "star pulses" by them. Now, obviously, this event can probably be activated as soon as Bank comes online and we can send Solrock/Lunatone from Gen VI up to SM. But who were the "wonderful men" that the alien entrusted the star pulses to? What are star pulses? And if Solrock/Lunatone were to gain Kantonian Forms, could that tie in to this?

Last edited:
@Esserise
Nice find. Obviously Lunatone could be found in Mt. Moon, but that wouldn't quite work for Solrock. Maybe a new sun-related location on top of the Cinnabar volcano?

It is still unknown how Pikachu, Exeggcute and Cubone can evolve into the Kantonian forms. More importantly, Mew's Z-move hints that it may be the star of the 2018 movie, since Marshadow is the last event Pokemon. There is no in-game associated with the move in Sun and Moon. That also goes for Marshadow, actually.

The Outrage said:
I'd say its a possibility, but its as much a possibility as B2W2 were (in that there were a lot of sequel hints but apparently Game Freak didn't intend to follow up)
We did get B2W2 thanks to a little nudge from Iwata. And although the latter is sadly not alive, the circumstances are similar: If Game Freak want another 3DS game, it should break the mold.

Last edited:
What do you guys expect the potential Kanto sequels to offer in terms of Pokemon/Mega Evo/new mechanic?

I'm saying this since the Kanto starters already have a Mega Evolution (Charizard has two), Mewtwo has two Mega Evolutions and Mew is getting a unique Z-move.

So aside from some new Megas, what would the hypothetical sequels have to offer?

1. Regional variants for an assortment of Pokemon from other generations that have migrated to Kanto in the past 10+ years.

2. More exclusive Z-moves for Generation I Pokemon.

3. Formes for the legendary birds and Mew. I wouldn't rule Mewtwo out should it be a mascot.

4. Mega Evolutions for the Johto starters. They could just give them Z-moves if they're truly abandoning Mega Evolutions.

5. Possibly catchable Totem Pokemon.
We know that Totem Pokemon are a result of the Ultra Beasts showing up, so they could appear in Kanto if Necrozma followed Lillie and Lusamine.

Last edited:
Region variants in Kanto wouldn't work for the older pokemon. Maybe it can work for gen 7 pokemon that adapted to Kanto but not gen 6 and lower. Totem pokemon is an Alola thing due to totem being an island thing. Forms for legendary birds could happen. ME for Johto starters also possible.

Region variants in Kanto wouldn't work for the older pokemon. Maybe it can work for gen 7 pokemon that adapted to Kanto but not gen 6 and lower. Totem pokemon is an Alola thing due to totem being an island thing.
We haven't see any Pokemon from other regions adapt to Kanto. Even the handful of Generation II additions were relatively recent. Why wouldn't it work more than 10 years into the future?

Totems depend entirely on wormhole energy. In theory, there is little reason why it couldn't manifest in other regions. I am not saying that they would be treated the same way in Kanto as in Alola; they would probably be feared rather than revered.

We haven't see any Pokemon from other regions adapt to Kanto. Even the handful of Generation II additions were relatively recent. Why wouldn't it work more than 10 years into the future?

Totems depend entirely on wormhole energy. In theory, there is little reason why it couldn't manifest in other regions. I am not saying that they would be treated the same way in Kanto as in Alola; they would probably be feared rather than revered.
Instead of calling them Totem (sounds too Alolan), they could call them Kanto Boss pokemon or something.

Didn't one of the leaks refer to the Totem Pokemon as 'overlord' Pokemon?

If there are indeed equivalents of Totem Pokemon in Kanto, I'd love for them to be called Overlord Pokemon.

1. Regional variants for an assortment of Pokemon from other generations that have migrated to Kanto in the past 10+ years.
Considering that Game Freak has established this to be a new universe, we don't even need the "past 10+ years" part. There could have just been Kanto variants of Hoenn/Sinnoh/Unova/Kalos/Alola Pokemon in the games and act like they've always been there. It could be another one of the major changes in a Mega Evolution world.

5. Possibly catchable Totem Pokemon.
We know that Totem Pokemon are a result of the Ultra Beasts showing up, so they could appear in Kanto if Necrozma followed Lillie and Lusamine.
If I recall, the energy from the Ultra Wormhole is supposed to bath the entire planet so Necrozma doesn't even need to follow them.

If I recall, the energy from the Ultra Wormhole is supposed to bath the entire planet so Necrozma doesn't even need to follow them.

I don't think it's meant that a single wormhole drenches the whole planet in energy, but we can infer from Faller Looker that the wormholes don't appear exclusively in the Alola region anyway. They really just need to say that a wormhole appeared in Kanto at some point in the past, and then they're set.

By
the
way
Red's
father
is
a
Faller

The reason I bring up Necrozma is that they're already promoting it as being a secret, whereas they didn't really call attention to Giratina, Kyurem or Zygarde in advance. So it does seem that they don't want it to wind up like Zygarde.

At the same time, that doesn't necessarily mean that it will be given two forms to serve as the mascots of Alola sequels, either. No one in Alola seems to know about it, so it doesn't seem to have any lore attached to that region. Wouldn't it be interesting if it ended up being given a story in Kanto instead due to Lillie and Lusamine? It would also allow Mewtwo to be used as a mascot without giving it two new forms, should it be paired with Necrozma.

Granted, there is apparently no underlying theme connecting the two, but does there have to be one? Most paired version mascots are used interchangeably, but it would be refreshing if we had one mascot acting as a protector (Mewtwo) and the other as a threat (Necrozma). The unexpected pairing would represent tying Kanto and Alola's stories together.

I am still thinking of good titles, though.

Last edited:
Mewtwo already has 2 megas, I don't think he will be used in a Kanto sequel like that.

On the other hand, Mew has just got a new Z-Move and I couldn't find any in game reason for that...

Mewtwo already has 2 megas, I don't think he will be used in a Kanto sequel like that.

On the other hand, Mew has just got a new Z-Move and I couldn't find any in game reason for that...
Are you implying that they should use Mew as a mascot? I suppose that after Deoxys it shouldn't be ruled out as a possibility, but Mew is the mythical Pokemon.

I think that Mew's Z-move hints at its being used as the main mythical Pokemon of 2018.

Well they are having that Gen I VC Mew event...so they could release the Mew Z-crystal for that as well.

Well they are having that Gen I VC Mew event...so they could release the Mew Z-crystal for that as well.
It's only been distributed in Japan and a specific part of the UK. I don't see that Mew turning out to have a Z-crystal attached to it. The Japanese event was not recent, either.

Considering that Game Freak has established this to be a new universe, we don't even need the "past 10+ years" part. There could have just been Kanto variants of Hoenn/Sinnoh/Unova/Kalos/Alola Pokemon in the games and act like they've always been there. It could be another one of the major changes in a Mega Evolution world.
But it would be rather cheap to treat Kanto's ecosystem as always having been more diverse than how players experienced it. They didn't do that for ORAS (except for referencing ancient Hoenn to justify the post-climax change), so why do it for sequels when they can just use the time gap as an explanation?

Last edited:
But it would be rather cheap to treat Kanto's ecosystem as always having been more diverse than how players experienced it. They didn't do that for ORAS (except for referencing ancient Hoenn to justify the post-climax change), so why do it for sequels when they can just use the time gap as an explanation?

I mean there's the fact that speciation takes a good deal longer than 10 years to occur. This is admittedly relatively minor since a) it's just a video game and they can ignore IRL logic whenever they feel like it and b) Pokemon are more volatile than normal animals in the sense that traits (moves) not present in a given species can be introduced to the species through breeding in just a single generation. However, despite these two handwaves, claiming that several mass migrations and speciation had occurred within 10 years would certainly irk me and likely several others lmao

However, despite these two handwaves, claiming that several mass migrations and speciation had occurred within 10 years would certainly irk me and likely several others lmao
We've already seen mass migration happen over two years between BW and B2W2, and basically over night in ORAS.

If they wanted to explain speciation better, they could say that the variants were always in the northern Kanto mountains that were never accessible. That would be a better explanation than "this is not the universe you remember!", which goes against the sequel mentality.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom