• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

lack of legendary pokemon in xy

Here's what baffles me: people complain about Gen 4 and 5 huge aumont of legendaries so they make less in Gen 6 and now people complain that there isn't enough? Make up your mind. It's the same thing with the pokemon, people complained about the huge aumont of pokemon in Gen 5, they make less in Gen 6 and now people complain that there isn't enough. Sometimes i feel sorry for GF, no matter how hard they try to please the fans there's always someone bitching and moaning.

Which wouldn't be a problem if the legendaries that were included had fleshed out roles. The smaller quantity was an opportunity to accomplish this, but Game Freak had other priorities.

Norzan said:
Here's what baffles me: people complain about Gen 4 and 5 huge aumont of legendaries so they make less in Gen 6 and now people complain that there isn't enough? Make up your mind.
Different people have different opinions.

Last edited:
i have never complained about there being too many in gen 4 and 5 i actually enjoyed the amount there were

I like the variety of having a lot in some of the games and not having that many in others. It would be cool if there were more legendary-related dungeons though.

I don't think it's strange to say that 14 is too many but 3 is not enough.

You will never here me complaining about too many Pokemon, unless they did something really crazy like add 1000 (yes one thousand) in one go, that would be crazy.
But I think 100-200 is fine.

...That's because there aren't. There's the game's main trio and an Event trio; 6 legendaries. From what we're used to, they're missing the other classic trio akin to the Lake Trio, The Legendary Dogs, and the Musketeer Trio, a roaming legend like Lati@s, Cresselia, or one of the Kami Trio, which was given to a single Kanto bird depending on which starter you chose, and a Mew clone (small legendary with 100 in all stats). I think they have a pretty respectable amount. Norzan is right in that, from what I've seen, a good majority of people found that Sinnoh and Unova had too many legendary Pokemon. It seems like they did drastically reduce the amount of legends. The lack of Mew clone is a bit odd, though, and a Kalos legendary roamer would have been better, imo, than a Kanto bird. That's what I'd change, personally.

I'm quite glad of it!

I tend to avoid legendaries, don't think I've even caught Moltres or Mewtwo, yet. I like the idea of this deep, dark cave which twists and turns and conceals a rare, unique pokemon for the most intrepid explorer - Articuno in Seafoam Islands was a great example - but I think Diamond and Pearl, in particular, were overkill. I did like Groudon, but I tend to catch them never to use them, nowadays.

I'm trying to think what would get me into legendaries. I suppose if they were more quirky, rather than necessarily powerful. I tend to think of them as sort of an easy mode, but if Mega Sableye, for example, was a unique Sableye variant that lives in a maze hidden beneath the reflective cave, that'd be cool. I'd want to use that. I suppose that's sort of Diancie's relationship with Carbink, that's captured my imagination.

While I think Mewtwo would look out of place, it's doesn't seem as bad as the Kami Trio in Unova. At least I can reason that Red/Ethan (in the games, which is subject to the player's interpretation; please DO NOT bring up Pokemon Origins) either did not catch Mewtwo, or eventually released them, and Mewtwo decided to psychic-levitate/fly to Kalos to search for a quieter place.

I'm actually glad that they decided to bring in the birds to Kalos. I think it makes sense that they do that, because I don't regard the birds as uniquely Kanto Pokemon. They don't have a Kanto-specific backstory to start with (unlike most other Legendaries), they look quite generic (unlike say Ho-Oh), and if both the anime and the HGSS games are to show, they fly everywhere. If anything, the birds should have appeared in Unova (in addition to Johto and Kalos) instead of the Kami trio, where a different bird appears in each season. Moltres - spring, Zapdos - summer, Articuno - fall (or winter).

Off-topic, but for the other legendaries:
- I know it's too late now, but the Kami Trio really should not have been in Unova. If anything, it should have been first introduced in Hoenn instead.
- The Lake Trio are the trio inspired from something that was related to Japan's Imperial Family iirc. They could have been introduced in Johto given that the real-life Imperial Family was in the real-life counterpart of Ecruteak City (Kyoto) until the Meiji era. Or alternatively, Kanto, given that real-life Tokyo is the imperial capital now.

Last edited:
People were complaining about there being too many legendaries in 5th gen? I mean, I get 4th gen because they went way overboard, but I don't think 5th gen had more than usual (unless you count event Pokemon, there were definitely too many event Pokemon in 5th gen). I think 3rd and 5th gen struck a reasonable balance with the legendaries, there were enough of them to flesh out the game, but none of them really felt extraneous or unnecessary.

Last edited:
People were complaining about there being too many legendaries in 5th gen? I mean, I get 4th gen because they went way overboard, but I don't think 5th gen had more than usual (unless you count event Pokemon). I think 3rd and 5th gen struck a reasonable balance with the legendaries, there were enough of them to flesh out the game, but none of them really felt extraneous or unnecessary.
Gen 4 had 14 (13 if you don't count Phione) and Gen 5 had 13. In Gen 4 you had Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus and Phione/Manaphy as events, in Gen 5 you had Victini, Meloetta, Genesect and Keldeo as events. So yes Gen 5 had nearly the same aumont as Gen 4, the same if you don't count Phione.

People were complaining about there being too many legendaries in 5th gen? I mean, I get 4th gen because they went way overboard, but I don't think 5th gen had more than usual
I assume that the difference in your eyes between these two generations is that the Kami trio couldn't all be caught in a single version? Is that the difference between going "way overboard" and "not having more legendaries than usual"? I think you'll find that most people don't consider version-exclusive legendaries a good thing. This has no bearing on the total quantity, anyway.

People were complaining about there being too many legendaries in 5th gen? I mean, I get 4th gen because they went way overboard, but I don't think 5th gen had more than usual (unless you count event Pokemon). I think 3rd and 5th gen struck a reasonable balance with the legendaries, there were enough of them to flesh out the game, but none of them really felt extraneous or unnecessary.
Gen 4 had 14 (13 if you don't count Phione) and Gen 5 had 13. In Gen 4 you had Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus and Phione/Manaphy as events, in Gen 5 you had Victini, Meloetta, Genesect and Keldeo as events. So yes Gen 5 had nearly the same aumont as Gen 4, the same if you don't count Phione.

People were complaining about there being too many legendaries in 5th gen? I mean, I get 4th gen because they went way overboard, but I don't think 5th gen had more than usual
I assume that the difference in your eyes between these two generations is that the Kami trio couldn't all be caught in a single version? Is that the difference between going "way overboard" and "not having more legendaries than usual"? I think you'll find that most people don't consider version-exclusive legendaries a good thing. This has no bearing on the total quantity, anyway.

Hm. Well, Sinnoh had a few random standalone legendaries like Heatran, Regigigas, and Cresselia which felt more like they were shoehorned in for the sake of having more legendaries. I think by putting the Kami trio together as a group, it doesn't feel like as many.

At any rate, I really don't care how many there are as long as they have 3 mascots and a legendary trio. XY didn't have a legendary trio, so it feels lacking. So anywhere between that and 5th gen is fine by me.

It struck me as odd that there was no legendary trio (new for this generation). I loved the inclusion of Mewtwo, but it did feel like the legendaries were lacking, until we found out about the hidden legendaries, bringing the total up to 6. The original Red/Blue/Yellow only have 4/5 legendaries (whether you count Mew, or not, what with it's almost impossible to obtain status), and G/S/C only had 5/6 (whether you count Celebi or not, what with it's almost impossible to obtain status outside of Japan). I was a bit sad there was no trio, but I can understand them giving old formula a rest for a bit.

All the legendaries this generation have really cool designs, so it doesn't bug me all that much.

Do you mean that XY didn't have many in terms of "Not many new ones were introduced" or "The games didn't have many available"?

If it's the former, then the reason is because as a whole, Pokémon XY introduced the fewer number of new Pokémon species - roughly half of the usual amount. Therefore, it makes sense that we receive half the amount of legendary Pokémon, surely? So instead of having the usual "main trio" and "other trio" we just received a main trio (plus the usual event legendaries). As it stands, 8.8% of all Kalos Pokémon are legendary - another legendary trio would put that figure at 13%, which is silly. I think if anything, it's disappointing that we only received two new poison-types (and they're part of the same evolution line).

If you mean the latter, it's usually the case that the first games in a brand new generation will only feature the legendary Pokémon from that region, with past legendaries being made available in subsequent games. Generation VI did add in fewer legendaries than others with only 3, but the added presence of Kanto Pokémon did mean that they were joined by the 4 non-event legendaries of Kanto, which makes the number of obtainable legendaries between the pair higher than Gold/Silver (5), while being on par with Ruby/Sapphire (7). Only Diamond/Pearl (9) and Black/White (9) were higher - by only two species each.
Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire and whatever Kalos game GameFreak release next will probably be full to the brim with legendary Pokémon, as GameFreak will most likely try to cram in as many Generation 2-5 legendaries in as possible (some may fall by the wayside like the Hoenn legendaries and Regigigas in Generation V, but the majority will most likely be there).

No minor trio and no new roamers did surprise me. I like a minor trio just because they tend to add on a little extra lore to the games, but hey. It's not like I ever use them, besides Terrakion and Raikou. It is true that a great deal of people whined about there being too many legends in past games, and now are whining about too few now. The crowds are fickle, volatile, and ever so forgetful...

It struck me as odd that there was no legendary trio (new for this generation). I loved the inclusion of Mewtwo, but it did feel like the legendaries were lacking, until we found out about the hidden legendaries, bringing the total up to 6. The original Red/Blue/Yellow only have 4/5 legendaries (whether you count Mew, or not, what with it's almost impossible to obtain status), and G/S/C only had 5/6 (whether you count Celebi or not, what with it's almost impossible to obtain status outside of Japan). I was a bit sad there was no trio, but I can understand them giving old formula a rest for a bit.

All the legendaries this generation have really cool designs, so it doesn't bug me all that much.

What's even worse about the legendary issue is that you could only catch 4/6 of those legendaries per version. Xerneas/Yveltal were version exclusive and you only got one of the Bird Trio based on your choice of 6th gen starter. We haven't seen that few legendaries since RBY and GS. I feel like they should've at least had the entire Bird Trio catchable instead of just one, that would've made the lack of legendaries slightly less noticeable.

No minor trio and no new roamers did surprise me. I like a minor trio just because they tend to add on a little extra lore to the games, but hey. It's not like I ever use them, besides Terrakion and Raikou. It is true that a great deal of people whined about there being too many legends in past games, and now are whining about too few now. The crowds are fickle, volatile, and ever so forgetful...

Or... just large and numerous! I've always wanted fewer legendaries. X and Y brought that, now I'm happy. People who like legendaries, aren't.

That's not people being inconsistent - that's lots of people being individually consistent in different directions.

i don't think that many people complained about the amount in gen 4 and gen 5 and most legandaries such as darkrai were only available through events so it didn't for me seem overloaded i think the lack of a trio is all i really wanted, and i don't agree that the crowds are fickle, volatile or forgetful

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom