• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Leak Repository Thread (WARNING: Huge spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to believe that. Unfortunately we know it’s going to be a gorilla compliments Affleck. I really wanted a lemur like one too :/ or a tamarin

The affleck leak was contradicted (implicitly) by the Gameinformer interviews regarding Grookey. Masuda implied they were going to depict a primate not commonly seen in fiction. Gorillas are extremely common. Lemurs are only known in pop-culture from madagascar.

That, and there's still no way of knowing if the entire leak is true without any official reveals. That's why I was so contestuous regarding Eternatus and Meteodyna's names (again, Eternatus makes me think of an Atropal.)

The affleck leak has had confirmed elements, but it is not comprehensive. Leaks, no matter how probable, should not be taken as gospel truth, even if they are mostly confirmed. A few details could be off.

The affleck leak was contradicted (implicitly) by the Gameinformer interviews regarding Grookey. Masuda implied they were going to depict a primate not commonly seen in fiction. Gorillas are extremely common. Lemurs are only known in pop-culture from madagascar.
That is not what they said at all. They said it’s a different monkey than we have seen in Pokemon before. Just like their are different monkeys in the world there are many different monkey pokemon, and technically we have not seen a gorilla. Plus I’m going to trust Affleck on this one. A lemur looks 100% nothing like a gorilla. Pretty tough to mix up. Besides other than maybe a spelling, none of it has been inaccurate. The sentence about the wolves does not on any level imply one either to me. It’s 100% accurate. You have a wolf that either has a shield mane, or picks up a sword. Depending on the game that is correct.The descriptions even match, “Retro-fat Pikachu.” Sorry you don’t like it, but I give it .9% chance of not being a gorilla. I’m super upset about it, but cannot change it. I really don’t want him to be Gorilla.

Also, I am pretty sure aipom is meant to be based off a lemur

... didn't Masuda just say that you'll see how it's different from Infernape specifically? That really only implies a bulkier primate, which is in line with a gorrila. I don't remember him saying anything about it being a kind of primate we've never seen before in Pokémon.

That is not what they said at all. They said it’s a different monkey than we have seen in Pokemon before. Just like their are different monkeys in the world there are many different monkey pokemon, and technically we have not seen a gorilla. Plus I’m going to trust Affleck on this one. A lemur looks 100% nothing like a gorilla. Pretty tough to mix up. Besides other than maybe a spelling, none of it has been inaccurate. The sentence about the wolves does not on any level imply one either to me. It’s 100% accurate. You have a wolf that either has a shield mane, or picks up a sword. Depending on the game that is correct.The descriptions even match, “Retro-fat Pikachu.” Sorry you don’t like it, but I give it .9% chance of not being a gorilla. I’m super upset about it, but cannot change it. I really don’t want him to be Gorilla.

Also, I am pretty sure aipom is meant to be based off a lemur
Also, according to one of the reporters, didn't they see the wolves without their accessories, or I'm mixing things up?

... didn't Masuda just say that you'll see how it's different from Infernape specifically? That really only implies a bulkier primate, which is in line with a gorrila. I don't remember him saying anything about it being a kind of primate we've never seen before in Pokémon.
He actually never specifically said Infernape. Just related it to it since it was the other monkey starter. He just said that like the world has many different monkeys so does pokemon.

So what if Sobble ends up getting an "invisibility cloak"? I think that would more like a magaician though. I can't see what they mean by "spy" if it isn't going to look somewhat detective-ish (ex magnifying glass on the tail...) unless it is going to be horribly humanoid with an prominent suit. I mean sometimes detectives have to go undercover, like spies... and both look for information and clues. though, their objective may be a little different. Sometimes detectives spy though......

edit, what if the "cloak" or "trench coat" on sobble ends up being wings that drape over it's body? (think about a bat) or wings under its arms really. And it could have a small lizard hood around its neck.
however chameleons don't have wings....or hoods...
37816678594_df346094b3_o.jpg
lizard035.jpg

Last edited:
I personally think Intellion has his tail wrapped around his right arm, akin to the cloak of the "cloak and dagger" expression. Or he could have frills around his neck for that purpose. Due to the rogue affiliations and the contrast with greninja, I can't stop thinking of intellion as a kind of medieval rogue/fencer.

So far for primates we have:

Orangutan (Darumaka, Darmanitan)
Gorilla (Oranguru)
Lemur (Passimian)
Capuchin Monkey (Aipom, Ambipom)
Langur/Monkey King (Chimchar, Monferno, Infernape)
Snubnosed monkey (Mankey, Primape)

Personally if Grookey is not something anybody expects meaning things that already were guessed, I'm thinking some kind of gibbon, macaque, baboon, or spider monkey.

That, and there's still no way of knowing if the entire leak is true without any official reveals. That's why I was so contestuous regarding Eternatus and Meteodyna's names (again, Eternatus makes me think of an Atropal.)

The affleck leak has had confirmed elements, but it is not comprehensive. Leaks, no matter how probable, should not be taken as gospel truth, even if they are mostly confirmed. A few details could be off.
The Dynamax camera site also referred to Grookey as Gorilla1, so it's pretty likely.

The Face and the long hair I think, looks more like an orangutan, esp with the name oranguru. This was the best side by side picture I could find

CxQUFbhXgAAzZrR.jpg
Also something to note is that Orangutans could be named from their coloring, orange, which to us is an orange fruit. But, if it's not named for the color but the fruit, then in the Pokemon world, the "Oran" part could possibly be a more bluish-purple, like the berry.

Idk, I'm just spouting nonsense.

Also something to note is that Orangutans could be named from their coloring, orange, which to us is an orange fruit. But, if it's not named for the color but the fruit, then in the Pokemon world, the "Oran" part could possibly be a more bluish-purple, like the berry.

oh yeah! that is a good point, and if they are anything like blueberries they are gonna look purple when crushed rather than blue.

Oxford online dictionary says: "late 17th century: from Malay orang utan ‘forest person’."

Wikipedia says: "The name "orangutan" (also written orang-utan, orang utan, orangutang, and ourang-outang) is derived from the Malay and Indonesian words orang, meaning "person", and hutan, meaning "forest", thus "person of the forest".'

So far for primates we have:

Orangutan (Darumaka, Darmanitan)
Gorilla (Oranguru)
Lemur (Passimian)
Capuchin Monkey (Aipom, Ambipom)
Langur/Monkey King (Chimchar, Monferno, Infernape)
Snubnosed monkey (Mankey, Primape)

Personally if Grookey is not something anybody expects meaning things that already were guessed, I'm thinking some kind of gibbon, macaque, baboon, or spider monkey.
Yeah, Oranguru is very clearly also an orangutan. The closest thing we have to a full-on gorilla is Slaking (lol), who's more a sloth than anything else, so I expect Grookey to turn into a big old Donkey Kong-esque gorilla.

Oxford online dictionary says: "late 17th century: from Malay orang utan ‘forest person’."

Wikipedia says: "The name "orangutan" (also written orang-utan, orang utan, orangutang, and ourang-outang) is derived from the Malay and Indonesian words orang, meaning "person", and hutan, meaning "forest", thus "person of the forest".'
Wasn't that also part of the lore of Oranguru, now that I think about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom