• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Leaks/Rumors Thread

I’m extremely interested in this Fairy/Flying Weather Trio(?) member. This sounds like Togekiss on steroids. 545 -> 600 BST is a very substantial improvement so this is bound to be a good Pokémon.
It's kind of odd how non-regional forms can have regional evolutions now, while only regional forms could have regional evolutions in Galar.
This isn’t true. Mime Jr. evolves into Galarian Mr. Mime who evolves into Mr. Rime.
There is established that 2 variants cannot exist at the same time in the wild.
This already isn’t even true, East and West Gastrodon for example. It’s an extremely minuscule difference sure, but it’s still technically a regional variant, one variant for East and one variant for West, other than color they are functionally identical but who is to say similar changes in location can’t yield more noticeable alterations? I mean, that is essentially what regional variants are, a variation based on… region. All you’re doing is adjusting the scale from two halves of a region or region to region. For example, maybe Hisuian Sneasel is only found in Southern Hisui, and normal Ice-type Sneasels can be found in colder climates like Mt. Coronet and the northern area that eventually becomes the location for Snowpoint City?

I’m extremely interested in this Fairy/Flying Weather Trio(?) member. This sounds like Togekiss on steroids. 545 -> 600 BST is a very substantial improvement so this is bound to be a good Pokémon.

This isn’t true. Mime Jr. evolves into Galarian Mr. Mime who evolves into Mr. Rime.

This already isn’t even true, East and West Gastrodon for example. It’s an extremely minuscule difference sure, but it’s still technically a regional variant, one variant for East and one variant for West, other than color they are functionally identical but who is to say similar changes in location can’t yield more noticeable alterations? I mean, that is essentially what regional variants are, a variation based on… region. All you’re doing is adjusting the scale from two halves of a region or region to region. For example, maybe Hisuian Sneasel is only found in Southern Hisui, and normal Ice-type Sneasels can be found in colder climates like Mt. Coronet and the northern area that eventually becomes the location for Snowpoint City?
No, it is actually true:

Mr. Rime evolves from a regional variant.

Mr. Mime itself is a regional form, not a regional evolution.

No, it is actually true:

Mr. Rime evolves from a regional variant.

Mr. Mime itself is a regional form, not a regional evolution.
It's such a minor difference that I don't see how it was ever an established rule that this can't happen. I mean regional variants in general were a foreign concept until about 6 years ago.

It's such a minor difference that I don't see how it was ever an established rule that this can't happen. I mean regional variants in general were a foreign concept until about 6 years ago.
Read what I previously said: It's a new pattern that will most likely be broken if the leaks are correct. I don't mind it, it's just an observation: Regional evolutions have thus far only been for Regional forms.

Read what I previously said: It's a new pattern that will most likely be broken if the leaks are correct. I don't mind it, it's just an observation: Regional evolutions have thus far only been for Regional forms.
It depends on how you define 'regional evolution' (Which I assume for you is a mon without an 'original' counterpart), cause Alolan Raichu already evolves from a regular Pikachu. Same with Alolan Marowak from Cubone.

Because Basculegion evolving directly from regular red and blue Basculin is clever. Red and blue light combine to make magenta, so the red and blue souls of Basculin fusing together to make a magenta Basculegion is a smart design. Its features reference both fish easily. Both forms of Basculin are given a tasteful evolution and nothing is wasted.

Basculegion evolving from a Hisuian Basculin is a waste. Basculegion is a Water/Ghost due to evolving with the spirits of Basculin who did not survive- if Hisuian Basculin is also Water/Ghost, then Basculin in Hisui are all dead at birth and this backstory makes no sense. If Hisuian Basculin is Water, then it's a third pure Water-type form of Basculin that already had two redundant pure Water-type forms. And if it's a different type combo, say Water/Fighting... why? So it can abruptly lose it upon evolving? That's just making it different to try to pretend like it wasn't totally pointless to begin with.

And if Hisuian Basculin's design is a magenta fusion of red and blue Basculin? It's an unnecessary step when the combined colors were already better explained by Basculegion's soul fusion concept.

Hisuian Basculin is just redundant and unnecessary in every possible way.
Honestly, I feel like Hisuian Basculin changing to Unovan Basculin over time is just gonna be a case of Darwinian's finch.

As for the type potentially not changing for the first time on a regional variant? That'd just be another example of a pattern-breaking trend out of the many you've listed earlier in the thread, or that might've been someone else.

It also opens the door for there being future variants to share the same typing, which I feel like makes sense - not all of them need to follow the same rule of changing a type. The appearance/moveset/ability changing can work just fine too.

It depends on how you define 'regional evolution' (Which I assume for you is a mon without an 'original' counterpart), cause Alolan Raichu already evolves from a regular Pikachu. Same with Alolan Marowak from Cubone.
Regional evolutions have been a new thing, also called that way in gen 8, even had their own page on the site. Separate from things like A-Raichu.

This is not an imaginary thing.

Honestly, I feel like Hisuian Basculin changing to Unovan Basculin over time is just gonna be a case of Darwinian's finch.

As for the type potentially not changing for the first time on a regional variant? That'd just be another example of a pattern-breaking trend out of the many you've listed earlier in the thread, or that might've been someone else.

It also opens the door for there being future variants to share the same typing, which I feel like makes sense - not all of them need to follow the same rule of changing a type. The appearance/moveset/ability changing can work just fine too.
"Patterns create murderers."

- Sir Theodore Zang XIX, The Arts of Fine Wars

Regional evolutions have been a new thing, also called that way in gen 8, even had their own page on the site. Separate from things like A-Raichu.

This is not an imaginary thing.

I didn't know it was an official term but even so.

Regular form > Now becomes regional
Regional form > Now becomes a fully new regional form without regular counterpart

We've already seen a Regional come forth from a regular species so I don't see why an entire 'new' Regional (So these Regional Evolutions, I guess) would not be able to come from a regular form. It'd just be the next logical step.

"Patterns create murderers."

- Sir Theodore Zang XIX, The Arts of Fine Wars

I didn't know it was an official term but even so.

Regular form > Now becomes regional
Regional form > Now becomes a fully new regional form without regular counterpart

We've already seen a Regional come forth from a regular species so I don't see why an entire 'new' Regional (So these Regional Evolutions, I guess) would not be able to come from a regular form. It'd just be the next logical step.
As I said: There was a pattern at the start of Galar. The pattern has been broken, but I don't mind.

Those are variants, not variant type changes (Thats my argument). It makes no sense for Sneasel to gain a regional form if regular Ice/Dark type form can survive in modern Sinnoh as is, but needs to gain a form change that is supposedly not part Ice in Hisui, which is way colder than modern Sinnoh, so in that retrospect, it doesn't make sense regular Sneasel having the Ice typing makes no sense if it previously didn't need it, just like it doesn't make sense Hisuian Sneasel can't survive in Sinnoh, while it could in Hisui, since yet again, Hisui is colder than modern day Sinnoh.

The type not changing wouldn't be so goddamn infuriating if that fish didn't already have two forms with that type... and if there was any good reason why it should exist. But the combining of Unovan Basculin is done better just going straight from Red and Blue to Basculegion. We do not by any means need "the original non-split Basculin" when I'm sure that no one gives a damn and Basculegion is 1000x better without it.

Those are variants, not variant type changes (Thats my argument). It makes no sense for Sneasel to gain a regional form if regular Ice/Dark type form can survive in modern Sinnoh as is, but needs to gain a form change that is supposedly not part Ice in Hisui, which is way colder than modern Sinnoh, so in that retrospect, it doesn't make sense regular Sneasel having the Ice typing makes no sense if it previously didn't need it, just like it doesn't make sense Hisuian Sneasel can't survive in Sinnoh, while it could in Hisui, since yet again, Hisui is colder than modern day Sinnoh.
Ice/Dark Sneasel's normal habitat is snowy areas. Poison/Fighting Hisuian Sneasel's range is presumably not the snowy part of Hisui. It may have been forced to migrate there at a later time and thus became Ice/Dark to adapt to the new habitat. That or Poison/Fighting Sneasel just died out while the Ice/Darks moved in from elsewhere.

Regular Sneasel is likely not currently found wild in Hisui, but is given out via an in-game trade or as some reward for something, or there's some time shenanigans going on somewhere considering Porygon is apparently in the game and there's no sane explanation for how that could happen without Dialga pulling a few strings.

And we don't actually know that Hisui is that much colder than modern Sinnoh, that's actually an assumption that we all made at some point. Doing a quick bit of research into it, it seems the global temperature has increased nearly 2℉ since the Meiji period, but that's not exactly a drastic difference to warrant that all Sneasel in Hisui should have been Ice sneasel.

@Oriden my question was about why there should be a Hisuian Sneasel, of all Mons
Because of the hint that says Persian, Cofagrigus, and Weavile have similarities- also one of the image hints was for a sickle weasel. All signs point clearly to a Hisuian Sneasel. Zero doubt.

At this point I think Arceus realized that having kids was just a bad idea.
Dialga and Palkia squabbling, Giratina already in timeout... Arceus made the Lake Guardians so he'd have the perfect little girls. Sons just weren't working out for him.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom