• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Leaks/Rumors Thread

Just curious, is Hisui referred to in any manner in BDSP, even if it just replaces the label of "Sinnoh" in the myths?

I'm just a little disappointed at how hard they tried to avoid simple Platinum improvements, like having Volkner and Flint's ace Pokemon be Electivire and Magmortar, there's really no defendable reason to keep the DP teams... They're just straight up worse. But, it is what it is. I've heard that BD and SP have the exact same ROM and there's an offset you can toggle that tells the ROM which version to boot up as which I think is absolutely hilarious, they LITERALLY made one game and are marketing and selling two versions. I wish I was knowledgeable with how to mod/hack the Switch because from what I've heard, people have already downloaded the ROM on their Switch as the digital version of the game. If I knew how to do that I would.

I'm just a little disappointed at how hard they tried to avoid simple Platinum improvements, like having Volkner and Flint's ace Pokemon be Electivire and Magmortar, there's really no defendable reason to keep the DP teams... They're just straight up worse. But, it is what it is. I've heard that BD and SP have the exact same ROM and there's an offset you can toggle that tells the ROM which version to boot up as which I think is absolutely hilarious, they LITERALLY made one game and are marketing and selling two versions. I wish I was knowledgeable with how to mod/hack the Switch because from what I've heard, people have already downloaded the ROM on their Switch as the digital version of the game. If I knew how to do that I would.
First of all, hail to the emperor Penguin!! It's one of my favourites.

I found the same information on Reddit. Here's the link: r/SwitchPirates - Unlock Shining Pearl

...My brain is just trying to process the logic behind how they made these remakes, should the leaks be true. There's so many obvious ways to give qol enhancements from Platinum, but nostalgia rules them out? Underground games and Contests are nostalgic, yet ruled out for other ideas of qol? So much of this feels really backwards.

Just curious, is Hisui referred to in any manner in BDSP, even if it just replaces the label of "Sinnoh" in the myths?
Well there's this-

But that could mean Legends or it could mean the original Sinnoh games. ORAS had something similar for pokemon from RSE.

From what I have seen said about the myths, though, they're basically unaltered from their D/P versions.

Edit: Definitely looks like it's just referring to DPPt.

Wow! TPC is really intent on milking Dexit and Home for all it’s worth, aren’t they? I’m pretty much convinced at this point that the main factor behind Dexit was to milk their audience in the most anti-consumer way possible. I’m so glad I never purchased Pokémon Home.

On the other note, they really should have put in something hinting at Legends, and the fact that they didn’t really screams “BDSP is a filler game!!!!”

Wow! TPC is really intent on milking Dexit and Home for all it’s worth, aren’t they? I’m pretty much convinced at this point that the main factor behind Dexit was to milk their audience in the most anti-consumer way possible. I’m so glad I never purchased Pokémon Home.

On the other note, they really should have put in something hinting at Legends, and the fact that they didn’t really screams “BDSP is a filler game!!!!”
Not sure where you're drawing that conclusion from?
Dexit is just a necessary practice now due to the amount of work needed for fixing/updating pokemon data and models for each game.
Home is a transfer tool like Bank was and a semi-convenient solution to Dexit's necessity.
I don't see how anything involving BDSP proves that they're milking either of them?

I do agree that they probably should've dropped some teaser for Legends in BDSP because if there was ever a time to drop a cheeky tease into a game, this would've been perfect, but we already know Legends is a thing and if there's going to be any connection between the games, it'll probably get patched in later.

Not sure where you're drawing that conclusion from?
Dexit is just a necessary practice now due to the amount of work needed for fixing/updating pokemon data and models for each game.
Home is a transfer tool like Bank was and a semi-convenient solution to Dexit's necessity.
I don't see how anything involving BDSP proves that they're milking either of them?
According to what we have of the leaks, only Pokémon originally caught in Sinnoh can be transferred into BDSP regardless of the species itself actually being in the game. They’re pretty much forcing people to keep species in Pokémon Home until that Pokémon species appears in a new region, which could theoretically take years to happen, if ever.

According to what we have of the leaks, only Pokémon originally caught in Sinnoh can be transferred into BDSP regardless of the species itself actually being in the game. They’re pretty much forcing people to keep species in Pokémon Home until that Pokémon species appears in a new region, which could theoretically take years to happen, if ever.
The having to keep pokemon in Home until the next game they're available in was already a thing? This isn't news or remotely surprising, we knew since Dexit that this was going to be a thing.

BDSP only having Gen 1-4 pokemon was expected as well. Again, they have to set limits now and using the games' original pokedex in a faithful remake is just a no-brainer limit to apply.

They're not milking anything. You don't need to store anything in Home if you don't want to. You can keep your pokemon in Gen 7 or SwSh if you want. If they pull Bank support in the near future, it'll be an issue, but so far that isn't on the plate.

I don't think there's really any indication that you couldn't transfer a compatible pokemon to BDSP from SwSh or any other prior game via Home- Matt said it looked more restrictive based on the text files only mentioning the "Sinnoh of old," but someone else already pointed out that the other regions were also in there. They're just separate from the Sinnoh one because they were probably copy-pasted over and Sinnoh's is the only one that's new.

Last edited:
I'm quite disappointed with the games (or game, given how it's been revealed to essentially be the same thing lol) but that's a post for another time. However, I did want to thoroughly, explicitly praise the only feature of BDSP that I like and that is the Gym Battles (and by extension Elite Four & Champion).

For years, I have clamored for improved AI, fully diverse movesets with coverage, and item usage to make these supposed strongest Trainers within a given area or radius live up to their apparent battling prestige; I've wanted them to emulate the feats their anime counterparts have largely achieved to best of their ability, and make these fights memorable. I've even argued with other users in this very forum on the merit and feasibility of such changes, where several people rationalized how it would be "too hard," plain unnecessary, or even stupid. We've only gotten snippets of such a feat through things such as BW2's Challenge Mode and some opponents in USUM, but here ILCA finally delivered something consistent and challenging in the base games. Some highlights I've seen and enjoyed watching:
  • Roark's Cranidos now knows Bulldoze; it continues to enjoy its reputation as the most diffcult first Gym Leader ace Pokémon. While weaker than its signature Headbutt, it does emulate the coverage Rock-type moves would have given it without the STAB boost ( which would make Cranidos too strong); he can now deal with Fire-types and super-effectively hit Chimchar users. It offers a form of speed control and has great synergy with Headbutt's flinches. Speaking of coverage moves, Volkner's Raichu has Surf to wash away any Golem, Steelix, or Hippowdon that ruins its day, Candice's Medicham has Rock Slide for any Fire or Flying-types, and so on.
  • On the other hand, some Pokémon just have interesting setups. I really liked Fantina's Drifblim having STAB in Fly as well as a way to recover its large amount of HP uniquely with Strength Sap; Gengar actually making use of its Special Attack with Sludge Bomb and Dazzling Gleam was equally impressive. Maylene's Lucario now rocks Bulk Up, which it uses well with Drain Punch; heaven help you if you afford it time to setup. Even Bryon gets in on the fun - even though he's forgone his vastly superior Metal Burst strat in favor of Flash Cannon, Bronzor now knows & starts with Trick Room for all of Byron's Pokémon to take advantage of.
  • Several Gym Leader Pokémon have type coverage Berries so players can't just "press A to win" in certain type-matchups without being overleveled; examples include Candice's Sneasel's Chople Berry, Fantina's Gengar's Colbur Berry, and Volkner's Raichu's Shuca Berry. You just have to wonder why they didn't implement such a simple design before to make these fights as substantial as they should be.
  • Then there's Cynthia, who actually uses an assortment of items such as Leftovers, a Flame Orb, and Expert Belt among her Pokémon - just like we would do as Trainers, and as she should. I'm a big fan of her proactively activating her Milotic's Marvel Scale through a burn, which also gives the behemoth a status immunity; I'm sure it has Recover or Aqua Ring to mitigate the burn damage. Regarding Garchomp, Iron Head over Poison Jab would have been more optimal, as it deals with both Fairies and Ice types for the same BP but we can't have it all I suppose.
  • While AI is still something I'm gauging, one of the leakers was battling Candice - it was his Luxray against her Medicham. He used Bite and Candice ended up switching her Medicham out for the Dark-type Sneasel on the second predicted Bite - then she proceeded to have it use Dig for a super-effective hit. udffhbiahn - yes.
  • Then there are rematches, which are 6 on 6 (rather than 5), with higher levels than their Platinum incarnations, and take place in the visually brilliant Gyms rather than some shoddy dump. Roark even starts with Tyranitar, rather than finish with it, to setup Sandstorm for his Pokémon.
These battles are now some of the most unique set of Gym Battles in the franchise in my opinion (even moreso than the region that specializes in Gym Battles, barring the fight with Raihan), and they're doable. It's about damn time and I hope this mentality stays for future games given the plethora of methods players have for dealing with them; no more lack of items, only two moves with the other two purposely deleted, and other nonsense regarding significant Trainers. If you're going to let Trainers make Pokémon OP through Affection for example, balancing it out with richer Gym/Elite/Champion Battles is the way to go. So, well done ILCA in that regard.

I don't think there's really any indication that you couldn't transfer a compatible pokemon to BDSP from SwSh or any other prior game via Home- Matt said it looked more restrictive based on the text files only mentioning the "Sinnoh of old," but someone else already pointed out that the other regions were also in there. They're just separate from the Sinnoh one because they were probably copy-pasted over and Sinnoh's is the only one that's new.
Oh. I interpreted the leaks as saying that if the Pokémon in question wasn’t caught or hatched in Sinnoh itself it wouldn’t be allowed in. For example, I was under the impression that a Stantler caught in HGSS wouldn’t be allowed into BDSP despite Stantler as a species being present in these remakes. Was I mistaken?

Edit: I was. Sorry about that tangent.

It does sound like the issue I complained about: the DP teams being present, was very much mitigated with the postgame rematches and the teambuilding as far as movesets and held items go, so I retract most of my previous statement, it sounds like the teams are very well built.

All this talk about a day 1 patch has me a bit worried. Is it just the music and the title screen that are unfinished, or is there other stuff too? It would really suck if the finished version of the game became permanently unavailable after the Nintendo Switch servers shut down. Buying physical copies of games in order to preserve them doesn't seem to be a viable strategy anymore.

Oh. I interpreted the leaks as saying that if the Pokémon in question wasn’t caught or hatched in Sinnoh itself it wouldn’t be allowed in. For example, I was under the impression that a Stantler caught in HGSS wouldn’t be allowed into BDSP despite Stantler as a species being present in these remakes. Was I mistaken?

Edit: I was. Sorry about that tangent.
Fair mistake! Since that's what Matt was saying, that they had to originate in BDSP, but he also said that was based on the text dump and there being no origin tags for other games, which isn't true.

I think the fact that the "Sinnoh of old" tag has been added and the regular "the Sinnoh region" tag has been taken out certainly implies that we can transfer pokemon into BDSP from older games, so aside from not being able to use any cut moves, there shouldn't be any reason that we couldn't get a HGSS Stantler in there. They could possibly lock it like they did with Let's Go and only make it compatible with each other and maybe eventually Legends, but still they removed the "Sinnoh region" tag while leaving all of the other old regions still in the list. That's a pretty deliberate alteration.

That and I don't think "Sinnoh of old" would be the proper tag for Hisui? Like on a technicality, it is Sinnoh, but also it's not Sinnoh, it's Hisui.

So... not going to say 100% that we definitely can transfer pokemon in, but also going to say that there's actually really no indication yet that we can't, and the text actually leans more towards 'can do' than 'can not.'

All this talk about a day 1 patch has me a bit worried. Is it just the music and the title screen that are unfinished, or is there other stuff too? It would really suck if the finished version of the game became permanently unavailable after the Nintendo Switch servers shut down. Buying physical copies of games in order to preserve them doesn't seem to be a viable strategy anymore.

But even physical games require patches/updates sometimes. And unless I’m misremembering, this is not the first time that a Pokémon game has had a “first day patch”, and definitely not the first time GF has had to release a patch.

I imagine part of the patch is to hide certain elements from leakers; without the patch, a lot of information is still locked out. And some of it will probably be stupid stuff (like tweaking all the shades of goldenrod to ensure there’s not a fatal flaw when entering battle, for example).

Physical games need to be shipped at certain times to ensure that the majority of retailers world-wide have them ready to hit shelves regardless of their timezone. Even the e-shop needs the game data delivered by a set date so they can integrate it before launch. The patch just allows the base game to be sent out on schedule while the teams responsible for for last-minute fixes to focus on those particular issues.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom