• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

List of Generation V English names revealed: List quietly gets removed from fan sites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: List of Generation V English names revealed: List quietly gets removed from fan s

He did take the camera into the theater and started drama, admitted to using illegal copies, and did the Pokerbeach satire, so he probably isn't going to care unless he gets another Cease and Desist. And it's been reposted at other forums, so if Nintendo decides to write a Cease and Desist, it might end up with a Streisand Effect. Oh, and they are already going around 4chan.

I think that most Pokemon fansites have already done worse though. We have pretty much EVERYTHING on the last 3 event legendaries, who aren't even supposed to be revealed yet. Nintendo actually said NOTHING about them back in September as if they didn't care weither they were revealed or not.

Re: List of Generation V English names revealed: List quietly gets removed from fan s

Only thing I'm partial about is Axew. Sounds too, uh, short and.. plain.

Those were my gripes with some of the names on the forbidden list.

As for the names, I saw the list, and it's offical: I don't like them. Still going to use japanese names.

Let me guess. You'll use the Japanese for a whole 2 days, say "Screw it", and say the English names from now on. Search in your heart, it's going to happen.

Cofagrigus?

WTF does that even mean?

Braviary is one the best English names EVER, though.

Nicknames FTW!
This. This so hard.

Klinklang? Wow. Beartic? Actually, I like it. Simisage, Sear and Pour. Didn't someone suggest names like that in another thread?

I dislike these named very much. But, assuming they are real, I'd probably just get used to them after time.

Except I never really got used to Mothim. That's the only name I never got used to. Oh, and Pikachu. I still call Pikachu by its Japanese name, Pikachu.

EDIT: How do you pronounce Reuniclus? RE-YOO-NIH-KLUS or ROO-NIH-KLUS?

I notice a lot of the Englisn names for Gen V have . . . questionable pronunciation.

Such as again:Co-FAG-ri-gus? The homosexual coffin of Regis Philbin Pokemon?

So...uh...will I get in trouble for having all the names in my blog?

I assume it's not the same as having them published on the main site, correct?

Going down the Pokebeach list and picking out favorites :)

Tranquill (tranquil+quail/quill)
Zebstrika (zebra+strike)
Escavalier (escalibur+cavalier) Awesome, a portmanteu of two knight words.
Chandelure (chandelier+lure) Lure makes it's description more terrifying :p
Fraxure (fracture+axe) One of my favorites, simple but so.. right?
Shelmet (shell+helmet)
Bisharp (bishop+sharp)

Escavalier (escalibur+cavalier) Awesome, a portmanteu of two knight words.

Actually, it's spelled excalibur. The real part of that name's origin is escargot, I believe.

Actually, it's spelled excalibur. The real part of that name's origin is escargot, I believe.

Yeah, lol. Was just about to edit that after checking out RustyShackleford's name list. Still, excalibur does tie in with Escavalier's theme..

Honestly I'm surprised the Kamis got their names changed like that, especially Voltolos. Now it's apparently Thundurus.... Huh? Why couldn't it be Voltorus to sound like the other 2? I'm perfectly fine with the name, but you'd think it would keep in theme with the other 2... (I mean, Tornadus, Thundurus, and Landorus.... x-x;;;). Sure the birds and the lake trio got name changes as well, but I never expected the kamis to get their names changed like that also....

So Koromori becomes Woobat... seriously, Woobat? That's the best they could come up with? Something that sounds almost exactly like a previous Pokemon's name?

Ah well, at least it's Kokoromori's name can't be any worse...

Checks list, then starts banging head on the computer in despair...

If they are real, I don't think any of them are bad at all. The only ones I don't really like are Emboar and Scraggy. The first one...I don't know, I just like "Enbuoh" better. And while I like Scrafty, Scraggy sounds mean. D: Why did they name him that?

And Krokorok and Krookodile are much better than the Japanese names, where it as the same name spelled differently. ._.

Scraggy sounds mean. D: Why did they name him that?
zuruggulol.jpg

THAT'S why. He's an inner city lizard, after all. :D

Cofagrigus. Sarcophagus.

Sarcophagus is pronounced "Sar-caw-fuh-gus" I can imagine Cofagrigus being pronounced as "Caw-fuh-greh-gus"

zuruggulol.jpg

THAT'S why. He's an inner city lizard, after all. :D

And considering they're supposed to be based off well...

Let's not go there.

Oh wow. Chandelure was actually used for one of the Ghost/Fire types? Lol, I actually got one right. Awesome. :> I honestly like almost every one of these English names. They're uncreative yet... creative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom