• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M16: ExtremeSpeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.
But those were only to promote the actual movie, and honestly didn't have that much impact on the anime itself. Ash never even knew about what took place in those scenes. Plus, nothing after the events of the movie is ever connected with the actual series.

I don't see how explaining why Ash didn't face Giovanni isn't an impact on the anime itself and it doesn't matter that Ash didn't know about what happened in those scenes. The movie is still cannon and there are other threads to discuss whether the movies are cannon or not besides this one.

Which is why you've totally been expressing those doubts all this time.

Oh wait, you haven't. Nevermind.
Wow, you're actually telling me what I did or didn't think. How arrogant. The reason why I didn't express those doubts is that I don't really care who the VA is; the voice doesn't make the character, especially when telepathy is involved.

Nothing new I assume, but I'll post it anyway.

m16magazinescan.png

Last edited:
Fennekin said:
Plus, nothing after the events of the movie is ever connected with the actual series.

Nothing after the events of the various filler episodes is ever connected with the actual series either. Are filler episodes not canon as well?

Silktree said:
Wow, you're actually telling me what I did or didn't think. How arrogant.

No, I'm saying that I don't believe you because I've never seen you vocalize these doubts before. But if me not being able to read your mind makes me "arrogant," then so be it.

the voice doesn't make the character, especially when telepathy is involved.

Nonsense. The voice is a very huge part of any character, telepathy or not. And I have yet to see any convincing explanation why Myuutwo would suddenly start thinking in the voice of someone of the opposite gender. I know we have to suspend our disbelief here since we are talking about telepathic cats and all, but come on.

Playerking said:
Nothing new I assume, but I'll post it anyway.

The image isn't showing up for me.

No, I'm saying that I don't believe you because I've never seen you vocalize these doubts before. But if me not being able to read your mind makes me "arrogant," then so be it.
Your accusing me of lying about something so unimportant makes you arrogant. I've already explained that the reason I didn't express those doubts is that I didn't care about the VA. Deal with it.

Nonsense. The voice is a very huge part of any character, telepathy or not. And I have yet to see any convincing explanation why Myuutwo would suddenly start thinking in the voice of someone of the opposite gender. I know we have to suspend our disbelief here since we are talking about telepathic cats and all, but come on.
Mewtwo is genderless. The telepathic voice it uses reflects the way it approaches others. To have it sound like a wise woman makes sense if they're trying to establish its role as a kindhearted protector. The original Mewtwo has a reason to act like that after the events of Mewtwo Returns; it no longer suffers from an existential crisis, and it knows that it can use its powers to do good. On the other hand, a brand new Mewtwo would be far more likely to act like Genesect.

Whatever. It still feels silly to insist that retconning a second Myuutwo into the series is out of the question yet going to the trouble of making up this convoluted backstory to explain how the Myuutwo from the first movie got a voice change is any less ridiculous.

Whatever. It still feels silly to insist that retconning a second Myuutwo into the series is out of the question yet going to the trouble of making up this convoluted backstory to explain how the Myuutwo from the first movie got a voice change is any less ridiculous.
I am not arguing that it is out of the question. I don't really trust the staff's judgment, so anything goes at this point. But the VA switch doesn't confirm your theory.

Fennekin said:
Plus, nothing after the events of the movie is ever connected with the actual series.

Nothing after the events of the various filler episodes is ever connected with the actual series either. Are filler episodes not canon as well?
That's redundant since those episodes are still part of the actual series. Movies aren't canon with the actual storyline. Why didn't Ash remember Pokémon like Lugia or Deoxys, which he sees in the movies, in the actual episodes? Why doesn't Ash ever use his Pokédex to scan these mythical Pokémon? Because while these movies are part of the general "animation", it's really not vital to the series. You can easily watch the series without watching the movies.

Why didn't Ash remember Pokémon like Lugia or Deoxys, which he sees in the movies, in the actual episodes? Why doesn't Ash ever use his Pokédex to scan these mythical Pokémon? Because while these movies are part of the general "animation", it's really not vital to the series. You can easily watch the series without watching the movies.
He did remember Lugia and Movie 7 was referenced in the Deoxys Crisis two-part Ranger episode. The fact of the matter is the movies are most likely not referenced that much just in case there are kids who don't get the chance to see them. But there is no reason to assume that they are non-canon just because Ash doesn't alway remember Pokemon he encountered in the movies. I'm certain he must have seemingly forgotten Pokes he met in the main series, too.

The image isn't showing up for me.

Sorry, bandwidth problem. It's from Pokemon Fan, so it might just have the same information CoroCoro gave us. Also, there's not much writing and there is a bit of glare though.

Okay, since my last post apparently wasn't clear enough, please stop the discussion of whether movies are canon to the series, including the first movie. It's getting off-topic, especially when bringing up other movies. There are other threads to discuss this issue, such as these two: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f228/mewtwo-movies-canon-anime-148594/ http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f228/pokemon-movies-canon-110903/

Please keep the discussion on whether movies are canon or not in those threads and out of this thread. Thank you.

Mewtwo is genderless.
In game terms, yes (and when the original film came out, no one had genders bar the Nidoran), but I'm definitely sure they more or less intended for him to be viewed as a male when they gave him an obviously male voice originally and, I assume, used a typical male pattern of speech in Japan.

Japanse Text edited out

This pretty much confirms that this Mewtwo is a different individual than the one from the first movie.
That's from an old interview. If it were a conclusive proof of anything, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Here's how Dogasu translated it:

When you think about the Myuutwo from the first movie, "Myuutwo Strikes Back," you think about lines like "Who am I?" and how there was this running theme of Myuutwo wondering about itself and how it relates to the world around it.

The Myuutwo in this film has actually gone out into the world and has expanded its worldview. It's started to be concerned about the world and about others around it, and when you compare it to the previous Myuutwo, you'll definitely feel like it's gotten past one of its limitations.

This Myuutwo is not the same Myuutwo from the first movie. What part will this Myuutwo, who's actually gone out into the world, play in this movie?
If you read the last paragraph in the context of the one before it, it is not at all clear if Mewtwo not being the same isn't just a reference to its new personality. If it were a new Mewtwo, why would we know anything about its past limitations by comparing it to the original Mewtwo? It doesn't make sense.

Tendou Soujirou said:
In game terms, yes (and when the original film came out, no one had genders bar the Nidoran), but I'm definitely sure they more or less intended for him to be viewed as a male when they gave him an obviously male voice originally and, I assume, used a typical male pattern of speech in Japan.
It used 'watashi', which is a gender-neutral pronoun. The masculine voice and its more informal language were just indicative of its personality at the time. Those things change even in real life.

It used 'watashi', which is a gender-neutral pronoun. The masculine voice and its more informal language were just indicative of its personality at the time. Those things change even in real life.

An adult man's voice does not change to an adult woman's voice in real life.

Who says that the "sound" of a voice can be changed consciously or subconsciously simply because it is telepathic instead of vocal? You keep saying that over and over again, but that's a rule that you yourself have assigned to telepathy.

There isn't enough information either way, but if you put the preview in front of someone (a child or otherwise) the immediate assumption has generally been that it is a different mewtwo (and then to wonder where it came from) not "it has a new voice because of telepathy"

I don't know which is the truth, both seem to be plausible, neither really strike me as making more sense than the other. It really just depends on which direction they want to take the story.

Who says that the "sound" of a voice can be changed consciously or subconsciously simply because it is telepathic instead of vocal? You keep saying that over and over again, but that's a rule that you yourself have assigned to telepathy.
I don't know whether or not this is the same Mewtwo, but it stands to reason that a telepathic voice has no constraints. It is entirely dependent on the character's thoughts and will.

Whenever Satoshi is thinking to himself during a tournament battle, for example, we hear Matsumoto Rika's voice. His voice doesn't change to some deep man voice when he's full of confidence or to a little kid voice when he's scared. He thinks to himself with the same voice he uses to speak out loud 100% of the time.

Likewise, why shouldn't we expect Myuutwo to think to itself in the same voice it would use to speak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom