• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just... What's the point? Can't we all just put a full stop to the endless comparisons between Jap/4Kids/TPCi and try and take this as it is? I feel like these wedges have divided the Pokémon franchise's anime fanbase for far too long now.
It's as though we don't even share this one unifying interest anymore, and I personally find that a very sad prospect.

Just... What's the point? Can't we all just put a full stop to the endless comparisons between Jap/4Kids/TPCi and try and take this as it is? I feel like these wedges have divided the Pokémon franchise's anime fanbase for far too long now.
It's as though we don't even share this one unifying interest anymore, and I personally find that a very sad prospect.
We can't: people will always have their own preferences, and everyone else will just have to accept that in the end. The sad prospect is when you have different people managing things, certain people are going to be divided on issues- all we can do is respect each others tastes, in the end.

I'm not saying that there isn't a good reason to dislike their work. Just that holding a grudge against the TPCI as if they're the worst thing ever for over a decade and treating the TPCI cast as if they're villains seems a bit excessive to me.
That's fair enough. I'm just saying, though, TPCI's work on the Series itself can be disliked for legitimate reasons, of course (as can the Japanese Version's or 4Kids' work).

I have my personal confusion about complaining about "the way things are going" for a show that's in it's 10th year of being dubbed this way, but we can agree to disagree on that. Just wanted to clarify what I was saying before.
Just replying to say that it's the music changing that is bothering me since that wasn't like this in the Movies until 2014 for the first time since 2001 continuing to this day, wasn't the case about 4 years ago so that's what I'm referring to- it's great that some of you don't care, but some of us do.

Anyway, unless someone insists on quoting me again, I've said my two cents enough times- just came back to clarify my position.

Last edited:

Honestly, the comparisons to 4Kids throw me off more than comparisons to the Japanese voice actors. I could understand comparing to the Japanese actors who actively voice the current characters, as do TPCI. But why are there still comparisons of the current dub to 4Kids? We have no way of knowing how good (or bad) certain voices would have been if 4Kids had done them because they never did. Who's to say people wouldn't have found the 4Kids VAs for some of these characters just as bad?

The only thing people can complain about is Ash and Team Rocket who are the only active characters who had 4Kids voice actors in this dub. 4 characters. That's an incredibly insignificant number of people to consistently complain about, IMO. And as it relates to this movie, Professor Oak and Delia. So 6 people. From what I understand, only Ash has a major role~ So the only comparison of voice actors relevant to this movie is just for Ash (who I would think most people would be over by now/would not remember the voice of anyway if they're just a fan of the original series seeing the movie for nostalgia). Even if some fans do still genuinely prefer Veronica Taylor, that's still ONE character. I just don't understand how these comparisons can go on so long for less than a handful of characters who even had 4Kids VAs in the first place.

Honestly, the comparisons to 4Kids throw me off more than comparisons to the Japanese voice actors. I could understand comparing to the Japanese actors who actively voice the current characters, as do TPCI. But why are there still comparisons of the current dub to 4Kids? We have no way of knowing how good (or bad) certain voices would have been if 4Kids had done them because they never did. Who's to say people wouldn't have found the 4Kids VAs for some of these characters just as bad?
Who's to say people wouldn't have found the 4Kids VAs for some of these characters better, either, though? Like you said, we have no way of knowing whether it'd have been better or worse in that regard.

And it's perfectly fair to draw comparisons considering this Movie is a retelling of Ash's adventures in Kanto in English: 4Kids were the ones to dub that particular saga, so of course it's fair to compare the English casts- there's even a campaign that went down on Twitter where people were campaigning to get Taylor back as Ash etc. for this Movie, and as usual, it fell on deaf ears with TPCi (I'm not delusional enough to think that'd work after years of fans trying to sway their minds for them to ignore it, just saying it existed, Sean Schemmel of all people being one to fuel it).

Again, not trying to start anything, just explaining what the logic is behind this- I do see where the other side is coming from (since I'm on it, after all).

Last edited:
Who's to say people wouldn't have found the 4Kids VAs for some of these characters better, either, though? Like you said, we have no way of knowing whether it'd have been better or worse in that regard.

And it's perfectly fair to draw comparisons considering this Movie is a retelling of Ash's adventures in Kanto in English: 4Kids were the ones to dub that particular saga, so of course it's fair to compare the English casts- there's even a campaign that went down on Twitter where people were campaigning to get Taylor back as Ash etc. for this Movie, and as usual, it fell on deaf ears with TPCi (I'm not delusional enough to think that'd work after years of fans trying to sway their minds for them to ignore it, just saying it existed, Sean Schemmel of all people being one to fuel it).

Again, not trying to start anything, just explaining what the logic is behind this- I do see where the other side is coming from (since I'm on it, after all).

Of course, as I said, people could certainly have found the potential 4Kids VAs better, but my point was that we'll never know because it just didn't happen. It seems strange to argue so hard for actors we're never going to experience behind these characters.

I would have found the comparisons perfectly valid if it were for the entire original 4Kids cast, but as we know, Brock and Misty are not in this movie. Team Rocket, Oak, and Delia are minor. So all we have is Ash basically because the two new characters are original to this movie, thus, never had 4Kids actors in the first place, we will only know them by their TPCI voices. So there's no comparison with them possible to be had. With only Ash as the one in the movie with a 4Kids voice actor, what much is there to compare besides him?

I'm curious if Veronica Taylor has ever expressed after all this time that she still would be open to dub Ash's voice. I really do want to know if she's ever said anything like that because I admittedly don't follow the voice actors, current or past much. If she has, it would certainly make me see why people even after 10 years still go so hard for her to voice Ash.

I like Veronica Taylor as much as the next fan, but wouldn't it be jarring for her to come back as Ash suddenly after 10 years for just one movie? I mean maybe us old fans wouldn't think much of it, but 10 years is a long time to be following the series for newer fans who only know Natochenny's voice.

Of course, as I said, people could certainly have found the potential 4Kids VAs better, but my point was that we'll never know because it just didn't happen. It seems strange to argue so hard for actors we're never going to experience behind these characters.

I would have found the comparisons perfectly valid if it were for the entire original 4Kids cast, but as we know, Brock and Misty are not in this movie. Team Rocket, Oak, and Delia are minor. So all we have is Ash basically because the two new characters are original to this movie, thus, never had 4Kids actors in the first place, we will only know them by their TPCI voices. So there's no comparison with them possible to be had. With only Ash as the one in the movie with a 4Kids voice actor, what much is there to compare besides him?

I'm curious if Veronica Taylor has ever expressed after all this time that she still would be open to dub Ash's voice. I really do want to know if she's ever said anything like that because I admittedly don't follow the voice actors, current or past much. If she has, it would certainly make me see why people even after 10 years still go so hard for her to voice Ash.

I like Veronica Taylor as much as the next fan, but wouldn't it be jarring for her to come back as Ash suddenly after 10 years for just one movie? I mean maybe us old fans wouldn't think much of it, but 10 years is a long time to be following the series for newer fans who only know Natochenny's voice.
Veronica Taylor has expressed all over in interviews and online she would do the voice if she could. It wasn't her choice to leave. Same goes for Rachel Lillis and Eric Stuart. They would be back in an instant if the chance arrived. And like it was stated, there were many sites online and petitions to get the original voices back and Sean Schemmel even tweeted it and got it even more attention.

People fail to realize it isn't just the fact a huge number of fans prefer the old voices, it's also got a lot to do with the insanely unethical way they lost their jobs and how their replacements have conducted themselves in their roles and to fans

The fact all 3 are HUGE draws at anime cons 10 years later and still known as the Pokémon voices should be a wake up call to the execs at TPC. The original VA memories will never go away. And I can guarantee you casual fans will hear Sarah Natochenny and cringe. I've seen it first hand.

TPCi can't even be bothered making a logo. I wonder if that means they won't put much efforts into the movie's dub.

Veronica Taylor has expressed all over in interviews and online she would do the voice if she could. It wasn't her choice to leave. Same goes for Rachel Lillis and Eric Stuart. They would be back in an instant if the chance arrived. And like it was stated, there were many sites online and petitions to get the original voices back and Sean Schemmel even tweeted it and got it even more attention.

People fail to realize it isn't just the fact a huge number of fans prefer the old voices, it's also got a lot to do with the insanely unethical way they lost their jobs and how their replacements have conducted themselves in their roles and to fans

The fact all 3 are HUGE draws at anime cons 10 years later and still known as the Pokémon voices should be a wake up call to the execs at TPC. The original VA memories will never go away. And I can guarantee you casual fans will hear Sarah Natochenny and cringe. I've seen it first hand.

Thanks for the info~ Now I understand a bit better why there are still fans campaigning so hard for them~ I have to say, though, TPCI can't just fire the new VAs just because they're still well known as the Pokemon VA or because of some online petitions. Wouldn't it be equally as unfair to the new VAs? Besides, Misty and Brock aren't even main characters anymore. What would be the point for them? TPCI can't prioritize people who haven't been voicing characters in over 10 years over their currently employed cast~

Debatable about the cringe, some may, some may not~ It just depends. I personally find her voice fits Ash just fine (it's closer to his Japanese voice than Veronica Taylor's, IMO). I also didn't notice any of the voice changes til the first episode of DP, and when I noticed it, I didn't care. Casual fans are less likely to care about voice changes than long time fans~

One more question (since there's nothing else much to talk about RN, hopefully we aren't going too off topic here XP ), how did the new VAs "conduct themselves" to fans? Like I said, I never noticed the change and I'm pretty sure I was around 11 then, so I certainly wasn't online looking up things about what went down. Though I know what happened in the grand scheme of the companies, what did the VAs themselves do that bothered fans?

I don't know why they didn't just use the English logo Japan made though.
Honestly, I think that logo looks pretty bad. Bad proportions, unorganized text, non-memorable font, unreadable for small sizes.
It's not that I love the official English one, but I do think it looks better. Nice to see them not shoving in the standard "Pokémon" logo for a change.

Unfortunately. I guess we're starting to feel the effects of Eric Medalle's passing.
Kevin Lalli designs some pretty nice logos though, and the Sun & Moon one does make it look like he drew some inspiration from Medalle. I guess they decided to make a simplistic one now, but they maybe went overboard with it.

Of course they're still recognized as Pokemon voice actors at anime conventions. The age range of people who typically go to conventions would be older anime fans and that would make them more likely to be aware of/have nostalgia for the original voice cast. They aren't forgotten by long time fans, but as I've said multiple times, people are going to have nostalgic fondness for the TPCI cast too, especially those who first watched the show through that dub. The TPCI dub has been going on longer than the 4Kids dub at this point and more fans are going to be introduced to the show through that dub. That doesn't mean that the original cast will be forgotten, but there are going to be more fans familiar with the TPCI dub or have a fondness for it and that shouldn't be ignored or downplayed.

And you're still basing your claims on casual fans' reactions to Sarah's voice primarily on just one person's reaction. Even if you've seen it with other people, that isn't enough to claim that every casual fan will have the same or even similar reactions. I understand that you don't like the TPCI dub cast, which is fine, but not everyone is going to feel the same way about them. The chances are pretty good that casual fans or fans who haven't watched the anime since the original series probably won't be that bothered by Ash's voice. There's a better chance that they'll be upset over Misty and Brock not being in the movie more than Ash's voice, especially if they haven't heard about the two appearing in the SM series.

If they're going to insist on replacing the nostalgic Japanese score, at least try emulating the 4Kids stuff that would be nostalgic to some dub fans.

Just to be clear before someone tries arguing with me, no I do not like the 4Kids BGM and I'm not trying to say it's better/worse than TPCi's. All I'm saying is if they're going to trash the amazing soundtrack from the original at least try to emulate the idea behind it and remix some old dub pieces.

I actually thought that the main reason they replaced the music here was to kind of give a 4Kids dub like score to the movie. It wouldn't be a good reason, but at least it would be nostalgic to fans familiar with the original series. Maybe they'll have that for the actual movie, but this seems a bit weak for their trailer. I'll have to see if there are any theaters closer to my location playing the movie. The last time I checked, the airings in my state were pretty far away.

European dubs usually use english music but in the French trailer, the japanese music is kept (including mezase remix) idk if that has been done before

Trailer looks good for the film, any UK cinema's announced as yet?
Nope not yet, I think it's been confirmed it'll be released in the UK but they haven't said which cinemas will show it.

Also we're getting the Pikachu Hats...

but unlike Japan you can ONLY have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom