• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M22: Mewtwo's Counterattack Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this movie is entirely CGI, the 2D Animation staff would be free and would able to clearly focus on the Final Year of SM. I say we'd in for a treat for the Alola League.

I know it's a teaser and all and I wasn't expecting a whole lot of footage, but I was expecting more than this. A shot of Ash or another human character would have been nice. The only thing this trailer gave us is a slightly better look at Mewtwo and confirmation that Mew is going to be in this movie (which was in the line of expectation, so not a surprise really).

On the other hand, I personally think the CGI looks pretty decent. I need to see more for a full judgment but it could have been a lot worse. Now let's see what the humans will look like...

If I’m not mistaken the 2d movies are done by a different animation staff than the main anime.
Yes, thats true, so the 2D Animation staff will have more time to work on the Main Series...

If I’m not mistaken the 2d movies are done by a different animation staff than the main anime.
Oh never mind, I misread your reply. No, the Movies are done by the same staff as the Main Series. But not all the animators work on the Movie. If I remember correctly, Massaki Iwane managed to do 2 scenes for M21 while working on the Main Anime. So no there done by the same staff.

I have to say, I'm not impressed with that teaser or whatever it was, at all. It's just like CGI Mewtwo, and also there's Mew. Like cool, anything else? No. Just showing off all our amazing CGI. Like at5 least give us something more. This was supposed to be a trailer right? This was supposed to try to get people hyped right? Well honestly, I look at that, and don't even think a little kid watching that could even get somewhat excited.

While I can understand expecting something more after they hyped up the first trailer, this is still a teaser trailer. We usually don't get much footage or insight into the film from the first trailer. That's pretty typical of these first trailers. I don't think we get more insight into the movie until February or so.

That being said, I was hoping to see what the human characters would look like in CGI. I think that Mewtwo looked pretty cool in CGI and getting a shot of Mew at the end was pretty neat. I'm still not sure how I'll feel about an entire Pokemon movie in CGI since I do like the 2D designs and artwork, but as long as it looks good and it's just a one time situation, then I think it will be okay.

I'm not really feeling the CGI so far. Why must they ruin a good thing, The Power of Us had probably the best animation yet. Can't they just leave it alone.

Well honestly, I look at that, and don't even think a little kid watching that could even get somewhat excited.
My 9-year old nephew got curious and asked me to explain what a remake means. I bet that the trailer would be creating a lot of buzz if it hadn't been for the July teaser (we didn't get anything teased for the previous two movies).

Still hoping for a 20-minute prologue explaining Mewtwo's creation. They could add a new jungle Pokemon if they wanted to spice it up.

Last edited:
My 9-year old nephew got curious and asked me to explain what a remake means. I bet that the trailer would be creating a lot of buzz if it hadn't been for the July teaser (we didn't get anything teased for the previous two movies).

Still hoping for a 20-minute prologue explaining Mewtwo's creation. They could add a new jungle Pokemon if they wanted to spice it up.
Good to know kids are at least interested

Pokémon should honestly stick to its roots just like how Dragon Ball sticks to its roots when it comes to the art style. I hope from the bottom of my heart that Generation 8's art style will be reminiscent to that of OS-DP's.

Looks like more Kanto pandering

It's a Mewtwo film. It's to be expected.

Can't help but wonder if the next Pokemon series might be done in 3D CGI like this movie

I kinda hope not. I'd rather they have CGI just for adverts like this but the actual film be animated like the previous S/M movies, as their animation was stellar. That said...if they can nail the CGI then I'm all for it, I'm just cautious with my optimism about it has CGI does not have a good reputation for high quality.

It obviously depends on how well the movie will do compared to its predecessors, although it will be hard to separate the nostalgia factor from the CGI "evolution". If they want to keep up the big worldwide releases (which is obviously their goal for this one), they need CGI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom