• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Masuda considering adding action to series: Director mentions possibility in Game Inf

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Masuda considering adding action to series: Director mentions possibility in Game Informer interview

Junichi Masuda recently stated in Game Informer magazine that he would "probably want to add some kind action element to the game." It is unknown if Masuda will implement this any time soon.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Masuda considering adding action to series: Director mentions possibility in Game

This is interesting - perhaps we'll be able to use Pokémon outside their balls?

Re: Masuda considering adding action to series: Director mentions possibility in Game

What sort of thing would this mean?

That's a random thing...

And it depends on what Masuda considers as action. The main Pokemon games are and will always be based on certain clichés - battling with Gym Leaders, other Trainers and villainous team. Any revolutionary changes aren't welcome.

Anyway, meh... That's for Generation V. I'm still thinking about quitting Pokemon when Gen V is revealed (but maybe I'll wait for HGSS, if it gets released after the revealation).

I also don't see much space for action in a 2D graphics game.

Last edited:

I really think it would be good if Pokemon had more action, like a Action type real time RPG. I have played a few RPGs like that and they were fun and had much more action than Pokemon.

I hope they're not planning to take out the turn-based battling system since it is incredibly well thought out and developed.

My guess is more mini-games that involve the touch-screen or button-mashing.

My Super Smash bros-like Pokemon spin-off dream game coming closer to reality? I hope so!

Last edited:

Crossing genre barriers has not done other franchises very well, unless it is in the context of spinoffs, for which, we arguably already have Ranger to fill that role. A lot of fans have had the idea to be able to take control of a pokemon other than calling its moves. Most of these were either in a platforming or fighting game context. (Although MD also partially fulfilled this role by at least giving us the ability to use the d-pad to move a pokemon and if set correctly, use a button to attack) I have absolutely no idea what he could be thinking of, as RPGs leave little room to bend in that direction. If it's done like Zelda or Castlevania(since Symphony of the Night), that'd be awesome, although I would have no idea how to apply either to Pokemon.

I also don't see much space for action in a 2D graphics game.

I get the feeling that Gen IV will be the final 2D battle games. The overworld's already gone into a stylized 3D, why not next have the battles be in stylized 3D? I mean, sure, there's possibility that it couldn't easily be done, so they might stick with the 2D battle theme for Gen V, but I don't think it'll be too much longer before even the battle scene loses its old GB-ness.

I for one wouldn't mind battles that are more anime-like, but for the love of crap, GF, please, test this crap out in a Stadium-like game first so we can have some practice and complain about it so you don't screw up an entire generation.

if they can render battle scenes like the ones in Colosseum, XD and PBR on the DS, i will be in heaven.

I get the feeling that Gen IV will be the final 2D battle games. The overworld's already gone into a stylized 3D, why not next have the battles be in stylized 3D? I mean, sure, there's possibility that it couldn't easily be done, so they might stick with the 2D battle theme for Gen V, but I don't think it'll be too much longer before even the battle scene loses its old GB-ness.

I for one wouldn't mind battles that are more anime-like, but for the love of crap, GF, please, test this crap out in a Stadium-like game first so we can have some practice and complain about it so you don't screw up an entire generation.

I agree completely. The GB-play of the series is what kept me onto it after FRLG all these years. Test it out in a Stadium remake or something.

I also agree. It would be depressing to have the series completely overhauled (or at least dramatically changed) before anyone can give an opinion. Adding some action styles to the game wouldn't be a bad thing, as long as they keep the turn-based battling.

I could see that working, but not in the main series. More of something like Colo or XD.

It would be a horrible move on the developers' part. They'd be taking a huge risk for obvious reasons; the battle system in the main games has been kept the same since its conception and it's been extremely successful. If they change it now, they putting profits on the line.

I personally wouldn't like it because if I'm looking for action, there are plenty other games I can play. Pokemon is and forever will be a turn-based RPG for me.

Well, I'm thinking less a complete overhaul, more a "3D models for the stuff and buttonmashing like in Super Contests to decide damage ratio".

It would be a horrible move on the developers' part. They'd be taking a huge risk for obvious reasons; the battle system in the main games has been kept the same since its conception and it's been extremely successful. If they change it now, they putting profits on the line.

New moves aside, the only thing kept the same about the battle system is the fact it's turn-based. Generation II added two new types aswell as shifted the type chart on top of the Special stat being split in two. Generation III added traits, increased the IV count and tinkered with the EV caps. Generation IV had changed the type-based physical and special into actual categories that individual moves could fit in. Not to mention some moves shifting in power, accuracy or effectiveness.

The basis of the battling system has been kept the same, not the system itself. Considering how developed it is, going for a more SSB-like battling style wouldn't work well, not to mention its probably harder to program each Pokemon. A more action-based Pokemon...

...I think it would probably be more of a visual overhaul. Perhaps more cutscenes, or maybe making the overworld much more dynamic.

Well, I'm thinking less a complete overhaul, more a "3D models for the stuff and buttonmashing like in Super Contests to decide damage ratio".

3D models seem fine, not every pokemon cause come Gen V there will be a boat load (over 500 pokemon and over 500 overworld sprites? too many IMO and that space could be better used)Don't know about more 3D stuff they did not make the games fully 3D as not to scare new players who would be shocked by the 3D pokemon game on a handheld console.

But I really don't know what ideas he might have, for better sake, if he does come up with ideas, a lot of testing with normal kids and some of those who play games first would be an idea, to see how well the new ideas work and if they can be good enough to stay cause if they are not, it would make the pokemon games lose their magic IMO.

...I think it would probably be more of a visual overhaul. Perhaps more cutscenes, or maybe making the overworld much more dynamic.

That I can see, they did the giritina cutscene in Platinum and it was more better than other things in previous games and they even had an interesting distortion world too and showed an outline of giritina moving about.

if they can render battle scenes like the ones in Colosseum, XD and PBR on the DS, i will be in heaven.

I wouldn't expect this to happen unless there is a significant hardware upgrade from the DSi.

If battle presentation is reformatted, it'll probably resemble the Ranger series's capture screen.

3D models seem fine, not every pokemon cause come Gen V there will be a boat load (over 500 pokemon and over 500 overworld sprites? too many IMO and that space could be better used)Don't know about more 3D stuff they did not make the games fully 3D as not to scare new players who would be shocked by the 3D pokemon game on a handheld console.

Do you honestly think that today's videogame audience, new or old would be scared from seeing 3D Pokemon? This isn't the first moving picture where they had a train coming right at you, if anything, being able to fully render 3D Pokemon on a handheld would be astounding and not scary.

Masuda said in an interview that it was kept 2D because they found it more artistic. I agree with him, because currently, the 3D Pokemon on the Wii don't even look that good. The models in Battrio are great, but I doubt they'd be able to replicate that on a handheld any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom