• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Medal Count - Ranking Method

How to Sort?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably I would advocate using weighted number of medals.

IE, Golds count for 3 points, Silvers for 2, Bronze for 1.

So the US would have (6x3)+(2*2)+(1*1)=23
Where Norway would have (1x3)+(6x2)+(6x1)=21

Falling that, I much prefer total number to total gold, but...

welll... all in all, it doesn't matter, really. I voted for "gold metals", however, if a country has a high amount of bronze, more power to them. Gold just means "hey we have the VERY BEST atheletes. Go us." So it is slightly degrading to score based on gold. At the flip side, norway has what? Only one or two golds right now, but of course they've racked up the most amount of metals. So I don't know.

Damian Silverblade said:
Probably I would advocate using weighted number of medals.

IE, Golds count for 3 points, Silvers for 2, Bronze for 1.

So the US would have (6x3)+(2*2)+(1*1)=23
Where Norway would have (1x3)+(6x2)+(6x1)=21

Falling that, I much prefer total number to total gold, but...

Yeah. that is also a fair way to do it. It's an impartial system. Hey, if a big scandal ever errupts on the internets, maybe they will use your system XD.
I still am annoyed at how the judging system changed for figure skating. The last one was so much more straight forward than this one.

Straightforward, schmaightforward. The old system was rife with bad calls and corruption, and it needed changed.

The new system is much harder to corrupt, and people are actually rewarded for the quality and difficulty of what they do, rather than whether or not what they do fit the pet peeves of the judges.

Damian Silverblade said:
Straightforward, schmaightforward. The old system was rife with bad calls and corruption, and it needed changed.

The new system is much harder to corrupt, and people are actually rewarded for the quality and difficulty of what they do, rather than whether or not what they do fit the pet peeves of the judges.

true. however, now I just don't understand what makes a good score, or even how to compare others scores! I just think that it is much more complicating to compare peoples scores. like 100 pts. What is that? a good , a bad score? I don't get it. I can't be bothered to MEMORIZE skaters' individual scores. I just liked the straightforward scores.... It's better that this system is more free of corruption, however it is more complicated and this I dislike.

42/Don't Care/Either/Archaic
Archaic, Birdboy2000, Crimson Flames, Kasu-chan
4 44.44%

Can't believe you voted for yourselves :(

Current top-10s, according to each system :

Gold Medals take all (Silver as tiebreaker, bronze as tiebreaker for silver) :
Germany - 9
Austria - 8
United States - 7
Russia - 7
Canada - 5
Switzerland - 4