• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega Evolution

What is your favorite Mega Evolution?

• Total voters
Re: Mega Evolution Discussion

So, I've been talking with the GF (girlfriend, not GameFreak xP) about what other Mega-evolutions that starters would have, this is what I got:

Mega-Meganium (Grass) (Open to part Fairy)
Flower Gift
Raises Special Defense and Special Attack(or maybe HP? Is that... like possible?)
(Makes her a real special wall with good team support for doubles and triples)

Mega-Typhlosion (Fire/Ground)
Sand Force
Raises Attack and Special Attack
(Makes him a faster, more destructive Camerupt with great dual STAB)

Mega-Feraligator (Water) (Maybe part Ice)
Sheer Force
Raises Attack and Speed
(Makes him a ferocious physical tank with boosted Waterfalls, Crunches, and Ice Punches)

Mega-Sceptile (Grass/Dragon)
Assassin: Gives all moves a heightened critical hit ratio and adds to moves that already do.
Raises Attack and Speed
(Makes him a fast wallbreaker with super critical Dragon Claws, Leaf Blades, and Aerial Aces)

Mega-Swampert (Water/Ground)
Drizzle OR Sap Sipper
Raises Special Defense
(Offers perma-rain or eliminates all weaknesses)

Mega-Torterra (Grass/Ground)
Solid Rock
Raises Defense and Special Defense
(Makes him more tankish, not as tank as Mega-Blastoise, but he literally has a cannon on his back)

Mega-Infernape
Iron Fist or Hustle
Raises Attack and Speed
(Just makes him faster and better at beating Pokémon down)

Mega-Empoleon
Ice Force: Increases the power of Ice moves and grants immunity to hail
Raises Speed
(If hail gets a boost this generation, Empoleon would be a great asset)

Mega-Serperior (Grass/Flying)
Contrary
Raises Special Attack and Speed
(Did somebody say "Leaf Storm"? Speaks for itself.

Mega-Emboar (Fire/Fighting)
Rock Head OR Hustle
Raises Attack and Defense
(No damage from Head Smash, Wild Charge, and Flare Blitz!)

Mega-Samurott (Water/Dark)
Swordsmanship: Raises power of slashing/cutting moves as much as Mega Launcher.
Raises Attack
(Gets boosted Night Slashes, Razor Shells, and Aerial Aces. A dark samurai?)

Just some ideas, though current learn sets for some (like Serperior) would need a bit of an expansion.

Last edited:

I'm starting to think that if the remaining starters get megas their types won't change. I hope that they would, but I was hoping at least Blastoise being solo typed would gain a type or something.

So, I've been talking with the GF (girlfriend, not GameFreak xP) about what other Mega-evolutions that starters would have, this is what I got:

Mega-Meganium (Grass)
Flower Gift
Raises Special Defense and Special Attack(or maybe HP? Is that... like possible?)
(Makes her a real special wall with good team support for doubles and triples)

Mega-Typhlosion (Fire/Ground)
Sand Force
Raises Attack and Special Attack
(Makes him a faster, more destructive Camerupt with great dual STAB)

Mega-Feraligator (Water) (Maybe part Ice)
Sheer Force
Raises Attack and Speed
(Makes him a ferocious physical tank with boosted Waterfalls, Crunches, and Ice Punches)

Assassin: Gives all moves a heightened critical hit ratio and adds to moves that already do.
Raises Attack and Speed
(Makes him a fast wallbreaker with super critical Dragon Claws, Leaf Blades, and Aerial Aces)

Mega-Swampert (Water/Ground)
Drizzle OR Sap Sipper
Raises Special Defense
(Offers perma-rain or eliminates all weaknesses)

Mega-Serperior (Grass/Flying)
Contrary
Raises Special Attack and Speed
(Did somebody say "Leaf Storm"? Speaks for itself.

Mega-Emboar (Fire/Fighting)
Rock Head OR Hustle
Raises Attack and Defense
(No damage from Head Smash, Wild Charge, and Flare Blitz!)

Mega-Samurott (Water/Dark)
Swordsmanship: Raises power of slashing/cutting moves as much as Mega Launcher.
Raises Attack
(Gets boosted Night Slashes, Razor Shells, and Aerial Aces. A dark samurai?)

Just some ideas, though current learn sets for some (like Serperior) would need a bit of an expansion.

I love a lot of these ideas. As for flying serperior, I don't really see it... I'd think either it or Sceptile would become grass/dragon, and the other would remain pure grass. I also often think about Mega Torterra. It'd be so BA. If venusaur didn't already have thick fat, megatort should've gotten it, to lessen that horrid 4x ice weakness. Gets my poor pal Tort every time :(

Oh, and I've heard plenty of people suggest grass/fairy for Meg Meganium (I just had to type it out). Idk if that makes much sense, but it'd be pretty cool.

I think Dark would fit better for Feraligatr. Also Dragon for Serperior of it does get a secondary type

I agree that Mega Feraligatr should be Water/Dark, as Mega Serperior should be Grass/Dragon. Mega Sceptile as Grass/Dragon would be really weird, as would Mega Samurott as Water/Dark (Water/Fighting would fit the Samurai theme way better and I honestly can't think of a fitting secondary type for Sceptile).

I personally love Serperior, but I lean more towards Sceptile due to his placement in the Dragon egg group for the secondary Dragon typing. That and I've always wanted to see Serperior go flying serpent on us! I'm p much down for Meganium being part Fairy if it would help cover some of her weaknesses. As for Feraligatr I never got a Dark vibe, I've always gotten the Ice type vibe though. Plus, I'd love to see a starter that's part Ice. He already gets Ice Fang via level up and Ice Punch via egg and tutor. Just give him Avalanche and he's set.

@Reila: I'd like Water/Fighting Samurott, but I'm under the assumption of Froakie's final evo being part fighting, so let's not go the way of Fire/Fighting. xP

That Mega Mismagius looks like a jelly fish.

& Serperior as flying? No thanks. I'll take dragon instead.

I meant having same eyes as normal Mismagius.
Oh. Sorry.

Anybody want at least 1 gag Mega Evo? It's up to you if Kangaskhan's Mega counts as one. I, personally, want a Mega Evo released through an event that simply adds a wig, to lampshade the ongoing gag/complaint about Mega Evos "simply adding hair".

Do people think we'll see any Gen VI mega evolutions? It's going to be weird seeing new Pokemon as well as their mega evolutions if so.

I don't necessarily think that it'd be weird. Mega Evolutions are marketed as Kalos' biggest secret. It's weirder for indigenous Kalos Pokemon to not have them. Here's some I personally want to see:

Talonflame
Ability: Phoenix Fire
Stat: HP and Speed

The website says that "when battles heat up, flames will pour from its body as it zooms through the sky" hence the ability. It's effects would be to heal 1/8(12.5%) HP per turn, but in the sun, will heal 3/16 (18.75%) but in the 1/16 (6.25%) in a sand or hail storm, and 0% in rainy weather. I made its base healing 1/8 so that it matches Poison heal's restorative abilities. It's speed increased because the site alludes to it being a fast Pokemon, and HP increased to further add onto the phoenix theme.

Flabébé
Ability: Flower Blessing

Based on the idea that Flabébé may be different depending on the flower it has (I'm assuming its more similar to Spinda's spots but much less variable), Flower Blessing's effects will be different depending on the flower Flabébé holds. Of course, we don't even know if that does anything.

And then obviously the starters. The only one I want is Froakie + Drizzle.

@Reila: I'd like Water/Fighting Samurott, but I'm under the assumption of Froakie's final evo being part fighting, so let's not go the way of Fire/Fighting. xP

I see. You raise a good point here. Froakie's evolution could end up being Water/Dark though, as it was mentioned in WPM's rumor, before he or she changed it to Water/Fighting. Then again, if Froakie's evolution is in fact a Water/Fighting ninja, a Water/Dark samurai wouldn't surprise me at all.

Raises Attack and Speed
We already have that ability: Super Luck. +1 to critical hit rate, stackable with other modifiers (so a Super Luck Leaf Blade has a 1 in 4 chance of critical). I once put a Scope Lens on my Super Luck Tranquill just so I could use Air Cutter and get a 1 in 3 critical rate.

Alternately, what about an Ability that makes the first move always land critical? Or that all critical hits make the opponent flinch?

I see. You raise a good point here. Froakie's evolution could end up being Water/Dark though, as it was mentioned in WPM's rumor, before he or she changed it to Water/Fighting. Then again, if Froakie's evolution is in fact a Water/Fighting ninja, a Water/Dark samurai wouldn't surprise me at all.

I was happy with Froakie and Chespin's final stage typings before they were corrected, so I'd honestly be happy either way. I think Water/Fighting would be better as a type combination, but I love Dark types so if he ended up being part Dark I'd still be content.

Raises Attack and Speed
We already have that ability: Super Luck. +1 to critical hit rate, stackable with other modifiers (so a Super Luck Leaf Blade has a 1 in 4 chance of critical). I once put a Scope Lens on my Super Luck Tranquill just so I could use Air Cutter and get a 1 in 3 critical rate.

Alternately, what about an Ability that makes the first move always land critical? Or that all critical hits make the opponent flinch?

That's only one stage, but I was thinking two stages. I don't dislike the flinch idea though, I think that'd be pretty cool. I think the always critical isn't bad, probably be best used with something like U-Turn. Also depends on how Megas work with switching.

Alternatives for those who's rather see Serperior a Dragon type, I say it should get a Special Attack and Speed boost and Sceptile get Dark as a secondary typing. It's not a good type combination defensively, but if he's just sweeping than it's all good.

Last edited:

Grass/Dragon isn't that great a type combination defensively either - sure you lose the vulnerability to Fire but get added weaknesses to Dragon and Fairy for a total of 6 weak points, one of them (Ice) being 4x. On the flipside, you do get three double resistances (Water, Electric, Grass) ....

Anybody want at least 1 gag Mega Evo?

Farfetch'd, of course :)

Last edited:

Grass/Dragon isn't that great a type combination defensively either - sure you lose the vulnerability to Fire but get added weaknesses to Dragon and Fairy for a total of 6 weak points, one of them (Ice) being 4x. On the flipside, you do get three double resistances (Water, Electric, Grass) ....

Anybody want at least 1 gag Mega Evo?

Farfetch'd, of course :)

That quad resist to water outweighs all the new weaks.

here's to hoping a mega water starter gets Drought and torterra sand stream.

I think it's safe to say that any Pokemon that has reached it's final stage of evolution, isn't part of an evolutionary family, or a Legendary will get a Mega Evolution. I mean why give some Pokemon a power-up & some not?

And that's why I'm on the fence about the typing. On the one hand, it's got really high highs (4x resist to Water and Electric!) On the other, it has really low lows (6 weaknesses, including a 4x one!)

But hey, if Celebi can make it work...

I think it's safe to say that any Pokemon that has reached it's final stage of evolution, isn't part of an evolutionary family, or a Legendary will get a Mega Evolution. I mean why give some Pokemon a power-up & some not?

I agree. The Pokémon known to get megalutions so far are very random, specially Kangaskhan and Mawile that are far from being popular Pokémon, like the starters, Lucario and (arguably) Ampharos are. Plus, Ishihara mentioned that he "can't wait to see the megalutions of all Pokémon" or something like that. Though I guess some Pokémon might not get a megalution, like some of the gimmick-y ones (Ditto and Chatot, for example).

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom