• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega Evolution

What is your favorite Mega Evolution?

• Total voters
Re: Mega Evolution Discussion

A "last Mon standing" trigger would intuitively be something that only happens once per battle, and without having to place any restrictions on held items or whatnot. If you're crazy enough to try a run with a solo active Pokemon, then you get to use it all the time. Otherwise, it's very powerful but also very risky since it's a last resort with no other backup.

Whilst that is an interesting idea, and one that I wouldn't mind as it would make the whole Mega Evolution thing more special, I don't think that's how it will be done. Mainly based off the quote on Ampharos' page "Changing type in the middle of battle can throw your opponent for a loop and garner you a significant advantage" which hints that ME happens when a Pokemon is already out, but not at the start? So if it was to be when it's your last Pokemon, when the Pokemon is already out and battling it'll either be the last Pokemon (which means ME would happen immediately) or it wouldn't be, and there would be no way for it to be that I can think of, thus rendering from what I understand of that statement in that ME can happen at any point during the battle when a Pokemon is already out, ME would be triggered some other way.

My prediction is that the other condition for ME are species specific (because if it was not, why wouldn't GF reveal the condition right away?), happen outside of battle. You can have all six Pokemon holding Mega Stones and fulfill conditions, but only the first one you send out will Mega Evolve. This is how I speculate it to be.

Cool to see them all in action.

Mega Mawile looks particularly good in-game. And the two mouths look awesome! The mouths also remind me of something from Wind Waker, just like Honedge.

The on-site flavour text about them is interesting, seems that Mega Absol's "wings" are in fact just fur that's stood on end due to the energy from Mega Evolving. No flying for you demon-cat-angel-thing.

Loving that Ampharos now has access to more Dragon moves! At least they didn't screw that up. The fluffy mane is very cool, definitely going to call mine Zeus with them glorious locks.

Just a shame we didn't get Sugimori art of Kangaskhan, I was really hoping to see that.

I'd imagine that we may not get Kangaskhan until next month's Coro Coro since I doubt they'd update just for it....I mean we're still waiting for Orotto.

Orotto, man. All this hype made me forgot about him.

On the topic of Mega Kangaskhan....I'm wondering if the Mega Evolution actually ages up the baby to make it more battle-ready....which could mean in-universe, we've seen all the stages of Kangaskhan growth.

The on-site flavour text about them is interesting, seems that Mega Absol's "wings" are in fact just fur that's stood on end due to the energy from Mega Evolving.
Yeah, I noticed that too when I first saw Absol's Sugimori art, I was thinking they were more like Okami-style shoulder flares ( <-- see avvie) than actual wing-limbs, especially in conjunction with the leg flares. I almost want to nickname mine "Shiranui" just because. (Oh, and apparently Mega Absol gets Magic Bounce as an ability. Awesome.)

A "last Mon standing" trigger would intuitively be something that only happens once per battle, and without having to place any restrictions on held items or whatnot. If you're crazy enough to try a run with a solo active Pokemon, then you get to use it all the time. Otherwise, it's very powerful but also very risky since it's a last resort with no other backup.

Whilst that is an interesting idea, and one that I wouldn't mind as it would make the whole Mega Evolution thing more special, I don't think that's how it will be done.
Yeah, I know. One simple alternative is, of course, an additional command added to the Pokemon's battle menu to transform into their mega form.

I'm going to guess that the additional requirements involve some kind of training you have to do outside of battle in order for your Pokemon to use the Mega Stone properly. This is supposed to be something that helps you surpass the limitation of evolution so I don't see how simply holding an item and being the last Pokemon is a good requirement. Theoretically not all Pokemon within the same species should be able to achieve this without the proper training.

I'm going to guess that the additional requirements involve some kind of training you have to do outside of battle in order for your Pokemon to use the Mega Stone properly.
Like crossing a certain threshold (not necessarily 252 points) for the EVs of the stats that gain a boost. Perhaps that is why there is only one or two such stats per Pokémon.

Whilst that is an interesting idea, and one that I wouldn't mind as it would make the whole Mega Evolution thing more special, I don't think that's how it will be done.
Yeah, I know. One simple alternative is, of course, an additional command added to the Pokemon's battle menu to transform into their mega form.

That is honestly what I'm hoping for, but maybe it's only available to press say when their friendship is high/reached certain stats via ST/Amie or whatever - I don't think I would like it to be conditions in the actual battle and they transform without your request.

What I'm curious about, and interested in seeing what you guys think, is this. Do you think they'll have Mewtwo able to be caught in X/Y, as a part of a promotion or do you think you'll only be able to get him by bringing him up from past games?

What I'm curious about, and interested in seeing what you guys think, is this. Do you think they'll have Mewtwo able to be caught in X/Y, as a part of a promotion or do you think you'll only be able to get him by bringing him up from past games?
Event only or post game. We are getting the Kanto starters allegedly so an ingame Mewtwo isn't totally out of the realm.

Event only or post game. We are getting the Kanto starters allegedly so an ingame Mewtwo isn't totally out of the realm.

Really? I hadn't heard about the Kanto starter thing. Mind letting me know where you heard that?

I kind of agree that apart from Mewtwo, since he's "man-made" and I guess going to a new level makes sense in a way, Legendaries should probably stay away from Mega Evolutions...

Except for Heatran. Dude's already kind of "ambiguous" when it comes to Legendary status, I'd love for him to get a Mega Evolution. Think about this, he loses his Steel-type and becomes pure-Fire, and basically transforms into a flaming hell-beast.

And you're missing my point, just because there are two regions that could be connected to Johto doesn't mean that they will still have you go back to that region, or Kanto even for that matter. They could've had you sail back to Johto if they wanted, but they didn't, there's no reason to assume that just because the real world may give way to such an idea doesn't mean that it will happen.

And what I mean by "On its own terms" is that Johto would be better benefitted by having the whole game to itself (and maybe kanto), Johto would probably suffer somewhat if it had to share with a new region because looking back at what happened in GSC, most of the focus could be on that first region. There's more benefits to having it separate and developed on its own.

This begs the question, though, of what makes the prospect of having a new game set purely in Jouto and Kanto--as nothing other than a direct sequel to one generation of games in the same region as their predecessors--anything less than completely inconceivable on every level. Other than that minor bit, though, yeah, sure, why expect that they'll instead release a new region with new Pokemon--especially when that region is actually connected to Jouto--when they have a perfectly good 'sequel' (albeit one where they don't expand on the things the predecessor hinted at expanding, like actual sequels do)?

I'm sick of hearing this constant "it can't work look at GSC" utter mishegas everywhere--is it not apparent that the limitations of a practically two-decade-old 8-bit device may have been the prime culprit when it came to GSC's shrunk and barren Kanto? Even by Gen IV (which was on a device with infinitely less capacity than the 3DS) the size of the overworld was infinitesimal in terms of the sort of memory the hardware was capable of--a particularly good example is in HGSS itself, where in many areas of the overworld your average route was enlarged by up to 5 times in many cases (yes, I have actually checked this) and yet those games still had a negligibly-sized map even compared to DPt! If anything, any game involving Jouto without the new region next to it and Houen by this point--far from simply 'suffering'--is just fucked as a whole. Even forgetting all of this, though, when your saying that a new region would in of itself make Jouto 'suffer' just begs the question of why on earth Jouto of all places would be the sole--or even primary--focal point of any new game. I feel like that question--which is what your entire argument here hinges on--is one you haven't really bothered to answer.

On a related note, does anyone expect Suicune to receive a mega evolution? I remember before HGSS I thought it would be cool if we got a Water/Flying Skycune for a remake of Crystal; for a mega evolution, however, this seems a bit too forme-esque, although in of itself giving Suicune a part-flying-type mega evo wouldn't be out of the question, would it?

Really? I hadn't heard about the Kanto starter thing. Mind letting me know where you heard that?
The old Pokebeach rumors (in the May 18th batch of rumors), which, unless I'm mistaken, have been accurate so far.

On a related note, does anyone expect Suicune to receive a mega evolution? I remember before HGSS I thought it would be cool if we got a Water/Flying Skycune for a remake of Crystal; for a mega evolution, however, this seems a bit too forme-esque, although in of itself giving Suicune a part-flying-type mega evo wouldn't be out of the question, would it?
I don't think it is likely but definitely not out of the question. I expect Mewtwo won't be the only legendary to get a Mega form and Suicune is one of the most popular legendaries.

This begs the question, though, of what makes the prospect of having a new game set purely in Jouto and Kanto--as nothing other than a direct sequel to one generation of games in the same region as their predecessors--anything less than completely inconceivable on every level. Other than that minor bit, though, yeah, sure, why expect that they'll instead release a new region with new Pokemon--especially when that region is actually connected to Jouto--when they have a perfectly good 'sequel' (albeit one where they don't expand on the things the predecessor hinted at expanding, like actual sequels do)?

You're going to have to be clearer here because it's hard to understand what you're trying to get across.

I'm sick of hearing this constant "it can't work look at GSC" utter mishegas everywhere--is it not apparent that the limitations of a practically two-decade-old 8-bit device may have been the prime culprit when it came to GSC's shrunk and barren Kanto? Even by Gen IV (which was on a device with infinitely less capacity than the 3DS) the size of the overworld was infinitesimal in terms of the sort of memory the hardware was capable of--a particularly good example is in HGSS itself, where in many areas of the overworld your average route was enlarged by up to 5 times in many cases (yes, I have actually checked this) and yet those games still had a negligibly-sized map even compared to DPt! If anything, any game involving Jouto without the new region next to it and Houen by this point--far from simply 'suffering'--is just fucked as a whole. Even forgetting all of this, though, when your saying that a new region would in of itself make Jouto 'suffer' just begs the question of why on earth Jouto of all places would be the sole--or even primary--focal point of any new game. I feel like that question--which is what your entire argument here hinges on--is one you haven't really bothered to answer.

And you seem to be neglecting how much another region takes up in terms of development time, resources and the like. Going by DS standards, what you want essentially is a DP sized region at the very least along with another region that pales in comparison in terms of size and thus would be overshadowed unless they develop it to around the same size thus taking away a good number of resources from the new region. The 3DS may handle it better but that's still a lot of resources and time to pour into something that's going to be pretty much the aftergame since due to the typical plot of the games they have to run through one region before you move on to the next. On top of that, why not just flesh out Johto rather then attach it to another region and split the development between the old and the new? It's not like revisiting a region is out of the question and there's still a lot you can do to make Johto a much more fleshed out region similar to the likes of Sinnoh and Hoenn, and you don't have to do it with another region attached.

Of course it may not be as watered down as Kanto in GSC but at the same time I do not want to revisit Johto as an afterthought. If there's to be a sequel, I'd prefer it to be a full fledged one in the same vein of B2W2 (well, more expanded of course) where the story, region and characters are expanded then in the same vein of GSC where you revisit afterwards and it's not as developed.

Last edited:

The thing that's absolutely blowing my mind at the moment is that, depending on how things unfold, the Blaziken who was the little baby Torchic I got when I was 11 years old could potentially now become a MegaBlaziken. This is of course assuming backward compatibility is possible.

You're going to have to be clearer here because it's hard to understand what you're trying to get across.

Basically the thing that you still seem to be neglecting to grasp--it's inconceivable that they would suddenly go and make what is essentially a BW2 for just Jouto completely out of left field. It makes it even more inconceivable that they would do so when you remember that there actually is a region which fans have been expecting for years which would allow travel to Jouto, Kanto, and Houen. The entire raison d'etre of GSC and the Jouto region itself was to act as a sequel to Gen I by allowing you to visit the neighboring region, so there's virtually no way that a sequel to Gen II wouldn't include the region neighboring to Jouto.

And you seem to be neglecting how much another region takes up in terms of development time, resources and the like.
Um... no. Gen VI could include ten Shin'ou's and it still wouldn't even begin to amount to anything significant in terms of development time or resources. It's a glorified 8-bit map with several hundred someodd tiles.

Going by DS standards, what you want essentially is a DP sized region at the very least along with another region that pales in comparison in terms of size and thus would be overshadowed unless they develop it to around the same size thus taking away a good number of resources from the new region. The 3DS may handle it better but that's still a lot of resources and time to pour into something that's going to be pretty much the aftergame since due to the typical plot of the games they have to run through one region before you move on to the next.
Your logic is circular: they can't make anything else than Jouto the central focus because that would take away from Jouto being the central focus. The thing you're not understanding is that there's no reason for Jouto to be the central focus at all--the only reason they'd include any Jouto in the first place is to visit after the main game because it's next to a new region with new Pokemon--you know, the things sequels have.

On top of that, why not just flesh out Johto rather then attach it to another region and split the development between the old and the new? It's not like revisiting a region is out of the question and there's still a lot you can do to make Johto a much more fleshed out region similar to the likes of Sinnoh and Hoenn, and you don't have to do it with another region attached.
So of course it's just common sense that they'd just, out of nowhere, make a sequel to Jouto, without the adjacent region, because hey, why not? I mean, it's not like it's out of the question or anything, so guess that settles it, obviously they're making a new Jouto-based game this gen!!

Of course it may not be as watered down as Kanto in GSC but at the same time I do not want to revisit Johto as an afterthought. If there's to be a sequel, I'd prefer it to be a full fledged one in the same vein of B2W2 (well, more expanded of course) where the story, region and characters are expanded then in the same vein of GSC where you revisit afterwards and it's not as developed.
Your complaint makes about as much sense as if I were to say that since Jouto made Kanto an aferthought in GSC, they should've just neglected to include Jouto in the first place. You've got the whole thing completely backwards!

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom