• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

MEGA MAN 9!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awww man. I'm so torn. That sounds so awesome, but I only beat one of the original games, they're so hard. And a female robot master? It's about time. This was desperately needed.

Rumours say Protoman may be playable. I wonder if they'll clear up the whole energy defect thing from The Power Fighters.

Good for Mega Man fans, I suppose. This does cause me to think of a special Battle Network game for the Wii, and while it would never happen, I'd just love to see it. Ah well...

Mega Man 9? More like Mega Man 6.5. Incredibly lame. I was hoping for 8-style 2D hand-drawn graphics but I guess everyone in the industry who could do those has been downsized for years so they hired some spritehack dudes instead.

Frankly even back in the 1980s I thought that NES Megamans looked like shit even compared to contemporary platformer games at the time like Mario Bros 3. A lot of other games managed to look great in 8-bits because they adapted the inspirational art style so well and captured the feel of it. Not so much Mega Man, who always looked so lively and round in the Japanese art but managed to always look like a bald Smurf when you were actually playing the game.

The article also provides some insights from franchise mastermind Keiji Inafune of Capcom, who these days is perhaps better known for such fare as Onimusha, Dead Rising, and Lost Planet. According to Inafune, the simple fun of a classic Mega Man game "doesn't fit into the grandiose and expansive world that the consumer gaming industry has become, and so you have to make games that match the current expectations."

. . . the current expectations are for rehashes of old games with even worse graphics? Have we really hit that point?

In addition, the popularity of retro graphics on things like t-shirts and other paraphernalia "made it seem like the right time" to bring out an oldschool game. Plus, they wanted to show what the upper-limits of 8-bit graphics could do.

"Thank god for Hot Topic making it easy for us to sell shit of any kind to nostalgic 20-somethings!" This is such a transparent attempt to cash in on the retro-gaming fad without having to put any money, time, or work into what should be a gigantic project that it literally makes me sick. I'm not usually one to harp on a game on graphics alone, but they're also assuring everyone that there will be no new gameplay features and it will play just like all of the old NES Mega Man games. Which were frankly much too hard for one, and for another just go back and play those old fucking games if you still want.

I'd mind it a lot less if they just changed the name from "Mega Man 9" which rings false, and into "Mega Man: Charing You Money For You To Try and Revive Memories of your 11th Birthday!"

Hot Topic wouldn't sell those things if there wasn't an audience for them, you know. Even a niche market is an audience, and since they devote so much of their store to it, it must be a pretty big audience.

Old games don't always work for 20+ years, you know.

It's not that I think it will be a bad game. I think it looks like it'd be a decent game by the standards of 1989. But seeing as how that's almost 20 years ago . . .

I'd have the same reaction to say, Nintendo stopping the production of Mario games for 10 years and announcing a brand new Mario game in 2018 and playing it up as the successor to Mario Galaxy only to find out it's nothing more than the original Super Mario Bros for the NES with hacked levels.

Or more specific to this fandom, imagine if Diamond and Pearl were the last Pokemon games produced for 10 years and then GameFreak finally announces new ones and then reveals that it's the original Red and Green, no new features, original GameBoy graphics, the features from Generation II-IV purposefully left out, and the only difference is that the 8 Gym Leaders have been replaced with new ones.

Which is pretty much what's going on here.

I think what they meant is this classic style doesn't belong in the modern gaming world, and thus why this is not a normal game release, but Wii Ware. Although, to me, this message is somewhat disturbing; that developers think that they have to make flashy graphics and whatnot to even compete in the modern gaming world. I think the article even said that this is a game more for the fans than anything. I don't even think they expect much response to it, although chances are, there will be, because a lot of people loved the old games, as repetitive as they were. I think I understand what you mean by you would rather see improved graphics than a fall back to the limits of 8 bits. I would also like to note that there are some people who would play Pokemon regardless of if we only had the Green sprites to look at. I still think this is better than some romhack.

I'll play it.

What? Why are you all looking at me like that?

I'll play it. In fact, I have the Wii Points already and I plan on being on the Wi Shop Channel every week when new games get released, until it comes out. *obsessed Mega Man fan*

I think the reason people would buy it is because of the nostalgia, I assume.

Kinda. I love the nostalgia factor but I'd buy it regardlessly, as would most Mega Man fans say.

Since I'm already tired of spamming his Mega Buster in Marvel VS Capcom, this is nice; it would be nicer if it were published as a stand-alone for handhelds (PSP, DS).

Awww man. I'm so torn. That sounds so awesome, but I only beat one of the original games, they're so hard. And a female robot master? It's about time. This was desperately needed.

Oh, please. That boss was created for one reason and one reason alone: fanservice. Mark my words: the moment a picture of her appears in a magazine, website, or any other form of media, expect to see approximately 400 hentai pics of her the next day.

On another note, they're saying this is pretty tough, at least on par with the hardest of the series. If not, more. This would normally be a good thing, but after being so used to the X series, the physics of old games seem overly stiff. It's annoying to get knocked off a cliff by a stray bird, or fall off disappearing/reappearing blocks and die instantly after you hit some spikes. That's what was good about Ecco the Dolphin: the control was so good, it makes you feel like you have only yourself to blame when you die. Except in the machine. Fuck that place.

Also, unless this or a sequel to this connects the X and regular series somehow (other than a small mention in one of the endings to Power Fighters and backstory in the X series), I'll be somewhat disappointed.

Last edited:
Sorry, but Inafune already stated that this game will not tie into the X series in any way whatsoever.

And Jacob, that info was wrong. The game is WiiWare-exclusive from the looks of it.

I was thinking a few days ago, though - will we see a SNES-style Mega Man X9? :D

Oh, please. That boss was created for one reason and one reason alone: fanservice. Mark my words: the moment a picture of her appears in a magazine, website, or any other form of media, expect to see approximately 400 hentai pics of her the next day.

I'm sure Roll gets the same currently. Rule 34 and all that.

Whoever said 2D gaming is dead, is a moronic [hetero].

Long live 2D gaming.

Mod Note: Watch it with the insults.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom