• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Misty Club

Confirm/deny: Misty is awesome.

• Confirm

Votes: 550 84.0%
  • Deny, also I support terrorism

Votes: 105 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Majority of Misty fanbase dont feel like this being one of reasons why they want her back to main cast.
Her goal of becoming water pokemon master,her backstory(we dont know much about her family lik parents or past life,from where her fears like bugphobia originates from)),several of her pokemon were mostly unexplored leaving lot of untapped potential there which could be used to do more with her character.
Unlike its case with Dawn or May we dont know even motives behind Mistys desire to become water pokemon master and what influenced her to have preference for one type.We didnt see Misty overcoming her personal issues which stand on her way of becming water pokemon master(like tendency to give up when training them like Psyduck,not having tolerance toward all water pokemon choosing them by looks which is probably xconnected with her dislike toward bugs,having lack of confidence in her abilities as trainer looking for her sisters approval when she took care of gym as chronicles showed) never coming to signkficant realization how to achieve her dreams either.
Such a shame that they got rid of character who has such deep and great personality making interactions in grop more enjoyable leaving lot of potential unlocked.

Add to that fact how her story was left unresolved and it doesnt surptrise why Mistys departure lifted up so much dust back in the day still being sensitive subject after all this years.

How do you think the writers should've fleshed out her character in Johto??

For start they could do more with her goal of becming water master.Whirl Cup was good for a start but aside from that that no new grounds were breaked about it,and that could have been achieved by defining whole thing more giving Misty more battling screentime and entering little more of competitions which would show gradual progress making steps forward.
-They could also give her some rival which could have pose obtstale on Mistys quest of becoming best wter trainer(likeb they did by giving rival to Cilan).I always thought Marina from Oi or Trinity were wasted opportunities which could have played important roles in Misty story.
-They could also do more with her neglected pokmon like Goldeen or Psyduck giving them more focus and some development,bring back Horsea to do something with it in Johto(like evolution)instead of being left to rot at gym,evolve Togepi etc.

Anyway there are many things they could have done but sadly they didnt.

I love her AG outfit and the one she wore in the Luvdisc episode.

Me too, her outfit from the Luvdisc episode is my favorite. I wish she wore that one during her visit in Hoenn instead of the other one.

For start they could do more with her goal of becming water master.Whirl Cup was good for a start but aside from that that no new grounds were breaked about it,and that could have been achieved by defining whole thing more giving Misty more battling screentime and entering little more of competitions which would show gradual progress making steps forward.
I agree to a certain extent, Misty's goal of becoming a Water Pokemon Master was spoken of more in Johto than in previous sagas, to learn all she could about water pokemon and becoming friends with them that would help her become a better trainer, but unfortunately the writers didn't do more to follow up with that.
-They could also give her some rival which could have pose obtstale on Mistys quest of becoming best wter trainer(likeb they did by giving rival to Cilan).I always thought Marina from Oi or Trinity were wasted opportunities which could have played important roles in Misty story.
There were definitely a couple COTD potential rivals that come to mind for Misty like Marina and Egan for example, but I think Sakura would've been a great one. Sakura was shown even in Chronicles too. Sakura and Misty both come from similar backgrounds, family structure too...And not only that, but Sakura is one of the Kimono Girl Sisters from the games, their similar background could've played a role for them to encourage one another to become stronger trainers.
-They could also do more with her neglected pokmon like Goldeen or Psyduck giving them more focus and some development,bring back Horsea to do something with it in Johto(like evolution)instead of being left to rot at gym,evolve Togepi etc.
You know, I kinda wish Misty got to catch and keep all the pokemon she attempted to catch in Johto (Totodile, Quagsire, Teddiursa, Seaking, Remoraid, Chinchou) IDK if I'm missing any one of them...

But then she'd have more than six pokemon and she'd couldn't keep them all...She would have to rotate them or something...and who would the extra pokemon go to? For trainers, when they exceed the 6 pokemon limit, the extra pokemon go to where the trainer got his or her pokedex, but Misty didn't have one, so I guess it would go to Cerulean City I guess...

More battles for her pokemon like Goldeen, and it would've been nice if they allowed Misty to progress with Psyduck being able to either swim, use water attacks effectively, or to control its psychic powers at will...but the writers wanted to keep it as a running gag.

It hurts me when people say Misty never did anything in the show or contributed anything to the plot...but even in Johto, she battled or used her pokemon in at least 1/3 of the total Johto episodes, even when the plot wasn't directly focused on her at all. That isn't too bad at all considering that Misty wasn't a playable female character and a side-kick.

I like Misty. I really wish she could've stayed with Ash throughout the years. I love her AG outfit and the one she wore in the Luvdisc episode. If I ever go to an anime convention, I'd probably dress up as her.

Hi Egghatch, welcome to the club!
Yeah. I love her AG outfit and that outfit in the pokemon specials. It's really awesome for Misty to have new outfits if ever she'll return in BW or have a new special episode featured in.

I agree to a certain extent, Misty's goal of becoming a Water Pokemon Master was spoken of more in Johto than in previous sagas, to learn all she could about water pokemon and becoming friends with them that would help her become a better trainer, but unfortunately the writers didn't do more to follow up with that.

I know what you mean,there were so many opportunities but writers didnt use any of them.It would be nice if they defined her dream little more having her battle little more and create few more outlets aside from one tournament through which her growth as trainer could be showed learning how to adapt to new situations and sharp skills.
Instead they didnt sending her to gym leaving her dreams at standstill because we all know she cant achieve them there.

There were definitely a couple COTD potential rivals that come to mind for Misty like Marina and Egan for example, but I think Sakura would've been a great one. Sakura was shown even in Chronicles too. Sakura and Misty both come from similar backgrounds, family structure too...And not only that, but Sakura is one of the Kimono Girl Sisters from the games, their similar background could've played a role for them to encourage one another to become stronger trainers.

Now that you mentioned i agree Sakura was really perfect candidate for Mistys rival.She shared similar past,having connections through which both Misty and her could relate to each other.

Aside from her Marina also seemed perfect sharing similar dreams Misty had being water trainer.

You know, I kinda wish Misty got to catch and keep all the pokemon she attempted to catch in Johto (Totodile, Quagsire, Teddiursa, Seaking, Remoraid, Chinchou) IDK if I'm missing any one of them...

Not sure about catching all,but i would have liked if she got one more new pokemon in Johto than just Corsola.I always thought Totodile would be better of with her getting more training in gym with Misty being better expert at water types than Ash is.

It hurts me when people say Misty never did anything in the show or contributed anything to the plot...but even in Johto, she battled or used her pokemon in at least 1/3 of the total Johto episodes, even when the plot wasn't directly focused on her at all. That isn't too bad at all considering that Misty wasn't a playable female character and a side-kick.

Sometimes i wander if those people even watched this show.Misty contributed a lot to this show but sadly some people tend to overlook her merits.She provided humor and great chemistry between group with her hotheaded and kind personality,had several notable achievements(like winning Princess festival which was some sort of early contest,Seaking competition,being among top 8 in Whirl Cup,winning Alto Mare race in 5th movie etc) and aside from battling did many things which May or Dawn didnt.
Like saving people lives,taking care of friends when they were sick,whole town from destruction in Kanto,giving moral support to her friends teaching people to never give up hope believing in themselves.

She was one along with Brock who influenced Ash a lot helping him to grow in trainer he became later giving identity to this anime and group as a whole.

Its a true shame this great character dont gets any credit for things she did.

Like saving people lives,taking care of friends when they were sick,whole town from destruction in Kanto,giving moral support to her friends teaching people to never give up hope believing in themselves.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. It's funny how people (like Gliscor'd) in the fandom use almost every chance they can get to bait Misty fans to pick her to shreds, and call may more of a Heroine just because she had a side-quest to go alongside Ash's. But Misty didn't need one, and I think she proved to be a stronger, braver, and better heroine.

I remember, she saved Nastina's employees from drowning and being attacked by the Tentacool in Porta Vista shores with her pokemon.

I think it was Trovita Island, Misty jumped into action and saved the Gym Leader, Rudy's little sister and her Seel from drowning as well.
Also, she helped Ash and Tracey recover from paralysis sickness from that Vileplume, by finding that weed plant, and she had to fight off Team Rocket by herself.

I mean, people just choose to ignore Misty's high moments just to one-up their favorites. It's a shame.

So true, I can think of several who have done so but to name them would mean infractions it seems. May's side quest is something of a joke because its really nothing more than a glorified beauty pageant so I can't see how his actions are justified in this. There are just so many moments that I just can't see how they all could be listed here and believe me I have pretty much every single episode Misty has ever been in on DVD.

As some of you may know, the Misty Club on Serebii has been revived once again, and I hope that it stays alive...But there's two members who joined the club who just happen to be Dawn fans, and I took the time to read through their thread...One of the members made the claim that Misty is only popular because pokemon was such a huge phenomenon at the time of the Original Series, but the popularity fell quickly during Johto, and many people turned away from the anime and stopped watching.

How do you all feel about that? I completely disagree...I mean, there were definitely fans of pokemon that liked Misty because of her tomboyish, yet feminine personality...And people loved water pokemon because Misty herself was very passionate about them. And some people loved Misty's pokemon no matter how much they did. But especially, people loved how she rounded off the group with Ash and Brock.

It wasn't just because of pokemon's craze back then. Misty didn't need a side quest like May or Dawn to be popular. Some people just loved Misty for whatever she did, or simply being the wonderful girl she was. Hell, a lot of people intentionally stopped watching Pokemon simply because Misty left. Now how can that be so if people only tolerated her even if the franchise's popularity went down?

As some of you may know, the Misty Club on Serebii has been revived once again, and I hope that it stays alive...But there's two members who joined the club who just happen to be Dawn fans, and I took the time to read through their thread...One of the members made the claim that Misty is only popular because pokemon was such a huge phenomenon at the time of the Original Series, but the popularity fell quickly during Johto, and many people turned away from the anime and stopped watching.

Yes. I can see that the Misty club on Serebii has been revived again. It to see that again. There are 4-5 members already.:)I also stopped watching pokemon for a while because Misty wasn't in it. [But I watched again when I become a total multishipper]. Misty did a huuge impact in the viewers,fans and its supporter, I think. Those cameos, the japanesse openings , i think it counts for Misty's appearance. I think it boost Misty powers to me..

The new girl ("iris " I think) is also not a Misty replacement. Misty is just remains the number one!

You cannot deny that Misty and Iris have more similarities than any previous cast members. No one and I repeat, no one is saying they are clones of each other but Iris is without a doubt, meant to be sort of a homage to Misty in keeping with BW being a homage to season 1.

You cannot deny that Misty and Iris have more similarities than any previous cast members. No one and I repeat, no one is saying they are clones of each other but Iris is without a doubt, meant to be sort of a homage to Misty in keeping with BW being a homage to season 1.

Scott AKA Gliscor'd always takes chances to say that Misty and Iris are exactly alike, not a "pseudo-Misty" either, but a "Misty 2.0". He has full confidence that Iris will be Misty "done right"...but what exactly does that mean??

Well Scott is wierd. Sometimes I agree with him and sometimes I just don't know what to say. Maybe he means that Iris will be more prominent in the main plot unlike Misty?

Well Scott is wierd. Sometimes I agree with him and sometimes I just don't know what to say. Maybe he means that Iris will be more prominent in the main plot unlike Misty?

I mean, I guess...but I feel like he's just blowing up Iris' development in hopes that she greatly overshadows Misty, which is why he says Iris has more potential to be "done right" like not unfolding as quickly as Misty did, or having Ash's rival Trip interested in her.

It's true that Iris does have potential to be good, and the chances of her being developed more than Misty is definitely there. But that doesn't tell me that there was anything fatally WRONG with Misty. She wasn't as developed or fleshed out as the other girls, but didn't need to be. She obviously did enough to please the many fans she has, easily just as much for the other girls.

Scott AKA Gliscor'd always takes chances to say that Misty and Iris are exactly alike, not a "pseudo-Misty" either, but a "Misty 2.0". He has full confidence that Iris will be Misty "done right"...but what exactly does that mean??

Aside from similarity like liking to tease Ash about battling skills Iris and Misty have completely different personalities,different past and interests and in reality different goals too.Sure by name Iris has similar goal of becoming one type mater but as it was showed thats something vastly different from what Misty strived to become.
Im not sure what he finds so similar about them because as characters they seem pretty different to me.

As for comment of Iris "being Misty done right"i suppose he means in receiving little more focus with writers exoanding more on her goal which is pretty much a given considering how they improved becmingh better t defining character goals.

However as character Misty was perfectly fine having great personality,good pokemon team which had potential,unique dreams and touching background having several noteworthy moments.Her flamboyant attitude being mixed with being girly at times as well wide specter of emotions added to her appeal receiving some good character development and moments gaining big and respectable fanbase.

If anything, Iris' goal has been a bit dumbed down, in terms of obscurity in how she'll achieve it, compared to Misty's goal, her means of accomplishing it are far more ambiguous IMO...

For Iris, basically all she has to do is develop and grow steady along with Axew until it evolves into Haxorus, and then she's technically a Dragon Master then. Misty's goal doesn't exactly have a clear definition, it's almost as ambiguous as Ash's goal of becoming a Pokemon Master.

I have a problem with the "Misty done right" phrases because that assumes that overall the writers made nothing but errors with Misty overall, but that's simply not true. The only problem with Misty was that during the "fad" stage of pokemon when she was on, there was no set formulas on how the show worked, except for it's all about Ash's story. There was no set way to give sidekick characters an avenue to get spotlight and development.

Having newer series of pokemon to compare to the older ones, yeah it would've been nice to have Misty battle more, get more focus, train, evolve her pokemon, etc but that's just not how it happened.

That doesn't take away from Misty's good points. She had a self-reliant nature about herself which was contrasted with her traveling with Ash and Brock. She was a very outspoken person, with no fear of speaking her mind. With orange hair and a fiery personality of tomboyishness, it was combined with a cool sense of adoration for the chilled water type pokemon. And altogether, she was a kind and loving person, who honestly cared about her friends.

That's the Misty that we know and love.

For Iris, basically all she has to do is develop and grow steady along with Axew until it evolves into Haxorus, and then she's technically a Dragon Master then. Misty's goal doesn't exactly have a clear definition, it's almost as ambiguous as Ash's goal of becoming a Pokemon Master.

Well if anything we know how it means becoming strongest water trainer in world which draws parallel with E4 considering how they are best trainers who specialize in specific type put there.On top of that some of them are labeled as one type masters like Lance or Lorelai being labeled as dragon and ice master(something Misty wanted to become).

That and Whirl Cup showed how there exist some tasks/outlets through which strength of water trainers can be measured being needed to enter them and win in order to advance goal of becoming water pokemon master.

I find goal being less vague than Ashs if you ask me which is still for most part undefined while in Misty case with E4 examples we can at least get some clear picture what this is supposed to be.

I have a problem with the "Misty done right" phrases because that assumes that overall the writers made nothing but errors with Misty overall, but that's simply not true.

Which is anything but true.For start Misty contributed greatly to enjoyable chemistry between group,served as coach and mentor to Ash being some sort of rival to him at times pushing him forward,teaching others to have faith in themselves pursuing their dreams(we can see that when she helped Sakura,Mikey,Egan etc).
We get to see Misty getting some great development overcoming her long time Gyarados fear,getting over complex of inferioriy which was caused by sisters(winning that princess doll set was great step forward to heklp Misty later overcming that issue),got insight in her backstory and problems which caused this etc.
She also improved as trainer over time making notable progress as Johto showed going step forward in her career of water trainer winning competitions like Seaking catching contest connecting with her pokemon like Poliwhirl,coming top 8 in prestige tournament like Whirl Cup along with establishing rivalries with likes like Sakura,Egan etc,etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom