• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moltres

GrassMaster

Master Of The Ninja Arts
Reaction score
Is there an easy way to capture Moltres? I have Venusuar, Articuno, Sapdos, Snorlax, and Vaporeon, all I need is moltres and my Dream team will be complete, I have LG (LeafGreen) and am currently in a battel. I went in the battle with 60 Pokeballs, I am now down to 30, and he is down to 1 hp point (he indurred a thunderbolt from Zippy el Zapdos) How do I catch him? This is the 13th try and I have kept on restarting right b4 I fight him so I can get him. Is is supossed to be this hard? Articuno only needed 10 pokeballs, Zapdos took 30 b4 he went down. WHY IS MOLTRES SO STRONG!!! :banghead:... ouch

Try using Timer Balls if you can get your hands on them. If not, Ultra Balls.

Paralyze, freeze, or sleep it.

Another suggestion is to bring a rock-type (like Golem or Onix) to stall it while you pelt it with Ultra Balls(yes, not normal Pokeballs). With legendaries, it always comes down to how patient you are.

for moltres, i siggest sleeping it continaully and thorwing numerous amounts of ultra balls. it didnt provide a big challenge for me, only a few restarts. no offense or anything, but btw, moltres sorta is a bad legend, try something like tentacruel instead for your dream team

Ok, this may be really bizarre, but if you're as superstitious as I am, it might be worth a try. I was having the same problem with my favorite Pokemon, Articuno; I was listening to music and over half an hour had gone by without capture. Then, the song Tainted Love by Soft Cell (over the top 80's crap that I LOVE) came on, and I caught the bird instantly. Now I think of Articuno whenever I hear that song. So, turn on the radio or your ipod and try and see if a lucky song comes on that you can catch Moltres to. If you believe in someting as superstitious as lucky songs, give it a try; if you're not superstitious, laugh at me for suggesting something like this!

My superstition goes way back. When we played Blue and Red, there was a rumor of an Ultra ball glitch wherin if you hit "b" at just the right moment, the ultra ball would act as a master ball. As far as I know, it's not true, but we spent so long pressing be after throwing any pokeball, I still do it as a reflex. ^_^;;

Anyway, what everyone else said, lots of ultra/timer balls, hypnosis, thunder wave and PATIENCE!! I'm still working on Moltres too; he was the easiest to catch way back when... what the hell happened?? o.0

I do the exact thing when I throw any ball. Up and B. It doesn't do anything at all, but it makes me feel better.

My suggestion: bring along at least 30 balls of every type you can easily get. You never know if a Great Ball might do it.

Up and B, that's right! Was that glitch real or not? We could never figure out if it was crap or if our timing was off.

I think it was fake, but who knows? After all, it may well have been a code the programmers implemented in the original games, like the level select codes in the Sonic games.

Also, I've noticed that great balls often catch my legendaries after I get mad at ultra balls. Supersticious, I know, but I love my great balls :p

Whoa, awkward.

Up an B is a placebo, it doesn't do anything but the success of capturing a Pokemon after doing it - which has nothing to do with pressing those buttons - makes you think it does. It always has been.

If it were a genuine code, it would have been proven by now by actually checking the code of the game - which should have a "make the capture rate go down on pressing these buttons" clause in it. Which it doesn't.

Ok, back to Moltres discussion, I reccomend this.

Bring a strong False Swiper and a Fast Thunder Waver.

Most False Swipers are Bug/Grass, so avoid them.

This leaves Marowak, Farfetch'd, Fearow (Breeding) and Zangoose.

As much as I love Farfetch'd, dont use it. 65 Base Attack just isnt enough to take a Legend down to 1HP

The others base attacks are

Marowak- 80 (but can be doubled if you are lucky enough to get a Thick Club
Fearow- 90
Zangoose- 110

Advantages:

Marowak- Durable. Can withold Moltres' attacks.
Fearow- Quick, Strong and gets STAB on False Swipe, making 1HP Easier.
Zangoose- Strongest of the three, gets STAB on False Swipe

Disadvantages.

Marowak- Is only stronger than the other 2 with Thick Club, which is rare.
Fearow- Needs to be bred to get False Swipe. Can be Time Consuming
Zangoose- Not Kanto Poke. Can be hard to get hold of.

Your choice which to use.

Battle

Use your TWaver to Paralyse Moltres before it attacks, and (regardless of if you survive a Moltres attack), switch to your False Swiper.

Use False Swipe, and continue to if it doesnt reach 1HP.

Once it reaches 1HP, throw Ultra Balls.

If this doesnt catch it, and you have been throwing them for a long time, switch to Timer Balls.

You should easily catch Moltres this way.

On the subject of Timer Balls, they only increase effectiveness every ten turns - so you're looking at a good 30 turns at least before a Timer Ball will actually be any better against a Legendary Pokemon as opposed to an Ultra Ball.

I caught all the Legendary Birds with mear Pokeballs. Zapdos took 10, Articuno was 31 and Moltres only took 2. I was amazed at that. But I always try and catch Legendaries with Pokeballs for a challange. Just proves it can be done I guess

cheat pokeball in to the bestball hold down A and B get the pokeball and when it is going to open and put hm in the pokeball boom hold down A and Select done

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom