• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most annoying things in Pokemon Ranger?

Salamence was annoying the first time I faced it. But I was a n00b then :p

The save thing. It just cannot be like in the trainer games just save everywhere and keep going. Finding a checkpoint/quicksaving and turning the game off argh!!!

I also dont like releasing the pokemon. Especially cuties like Jigglypuff
I think you've missed the point of the game then.

I don't like how some of the temple missions in Guardian Signs are nearly impossible to do without a partner or team mates, unless you overlevel. It would have been nice if they just adjusted difficulty based on how many people there were, though I guess that defeats the purpose of tackling the temples together.

When you befriend another pokémon in Ranger, and have to throw out one of the pokémon you were gonna use to recharge your styler. Luckily that changed in Almia.

I was also pretty pissed when I had to release my regi's in order to catch kyogre and groudon.

my DS always ahd styler marks on it.
and also how back in time you're level 1!!!
it took me forever just to get up to a decent level to do the deoxys mision!

Oh, and the Skitty lady. UGGGGH I hated the Skitty lady. I don't know why, she just irritated me. A ton.

That's interesting. My Skitty capturing memories are quite amiable (Sorry, I can't find a good way to word that differently). Although, I also liked getting the Happinies...

Anyway, as others have mentioned, the capture system for the first game was really annoying. Especially with that Charizard. I can't remember how many times I restarted that one. Also, that mission or whatever it was where you have to navigate the Empolean through the water also grated my nerves.

Can't believe nobody said these.

THe last boss battles with the societa.

The big wrestler dude's Regigigas. Every step. EVERY STEP!!!! I hope you know what I'm Talking about.

Kasa's Ditto. Oh my Friggin Gawd. Why the Beasts, and not a Pidgey????

Trying to find pichu in Hocus's boxes. HARD. Battling his giant crobat? hard-ish.

Edwards Mewtwo? Easy. Then again with purple eyes? Still easy.

Why does everyone hate the past missions so much? You can do them on your own easily by just acquiring the best slates and level grinding (which can often be done concurrently).

I hated the bug mission too (everyone keeps saying that was in Ranger, but I'm convinced that was Shadows of Almia).
I also dislike the underwater chases in Guardian Signs; they don't really contribute anything besides wearing your styler power down before a fight. It doesn't help that Guardian Signs is even worse than Shadows of Almia about the variety (or lack thereof) of types available underwater.
And finally, I can get a little peeved about not being able to use any assists (beside Latios/Latias) in midair; I wish you could use ones from other Pokemon you'd caught while flying.

Why does everyone hate the past missions so much? You can do them on your own easily by just acquiring the best slates and level grinding (which can often be done concurrently).

Not really, you don't even get to the required level in the Forest Temple just by doing them, and getting the best slates? You just have to be lucky for most of them, and considering you don't even know what the best slates are. Boss slates? Yeah, I'd like to see someone get every single one on their first try. I don't consider attempting to do a mission, losing, and getting some AP as "concurrent".

Then there's the fact that the level requirement is clearly for multi-player and you'd have to be grossly overleveled to win it on your own, especially in later missions.

You're oversimplifying things.

I also dislike the underwater chases in Guardian Signs; they don't really contribute anything besides wearing your styler power down before a fight. It doesn't help that Guardian Signs is even worse than Shadows of Almia about the variety (or lack thereof) of types available underwater.
And finally, I can get a little peeved about not being able to use any assists (beside Latios/Latias) in midair; I wish you could use ones from other Pokemon you'd caught while flying.

You can easily dodge anything they throw at you underwater, and as for mid-air assists, those battles are incredibly easy to begin with, and they don't even go into rage-mode, which basically means that its basically going on past ranger mechanics, where you don't even need to use assists to win.

And hey, I can oversimplify solutions to your complaints too:

Don't get hit.

The worst times are at the times I first lost, in the first game it was the Steelix part, in the second it was Kincaids Drapion, however it seems easy now. I still have yet to lose in the third game, but the most annoying thing was the Pidgeot's speed before you got Lati@s. Luckily my skill managed to get it while I had Staraptor. Another annoying thing about number 3 is the amount of land explorable and the number of cities and villages compared to the other two.

Not really, you don't even get to the required level in the Forest Temple just by doing them, and getting the best slates? You just have to be lucky for most of them, and considering you don't even know what the best slates are. Boss slates? Yeah, I'd like to see someone get every single one on their first try. I don't consider attempting to do a mission, losing, and getting some AP as "concurrent".

Then there's the fact that the level requirement is clearly for multi-player and you'd have to be grossly overleveled to win it on your own, especially in later missions.

You're oversimplifying things.

You can easily dodge anything they throw at you underwater, and as for mid-air assists, those battles are incredibly easy to begin with, and they don't even go into rage-mode, which basically means that its basically going on past ranger mechanics, where you don't even need to use assists to win.

And hey, I can oversimplify solutions to your complaints too:

Don't get hit.
I'm sorry I didn't explain my points to your liking, but there's no reason to be so curt with me.

In regards to getting the best slates and grinding, I never said you would get it on the first try. Just try to remember which Pokemon you encountered which might help you get over whatever hurdle you're struggling with, try to get their slate, try it out, and see if it's right for the mission you're stuck on. It's repetitive, sure; but as they say, practice makes perfect.

As for the underwater chases, it's actually fairly easy to get hit, particularly in later ones like the Manaphy egg mission. Even if you can dodge whatever's being thrown at you, it just seems like a waste of time to me.

In terms of midair battles, it can be very difficult to get an S-rank on later Pokemon like Togekiss without assists. Assists are typically an easy way to increase your rank on a capture. I think you get like +2 for a good assist and +1 for one where the Pokemon isn't released. That's on top of the fact that assists shorten the time it takes to capture, which can add even more to your rank. All in all, you're just stuck with your styler and Latios/Latias, which aren't always sufficient for the quick Pokemon which you often find in the air.

I'm sorry I didn't explain my points to your liking, but there's no reason to be so curt with me.

In regards to getting the best slates and grinding, I never said you would get it on the first try. Just try to remember which Pokemon you encountered which might help you get over whatever hurdle you're struggling with, try to get their slate, try it out, and see if it's right for the mission you're stuck on. It's repetitive, sure; but as they say, practice makes perfect.

As for the underwater chases, it's actually fairly easy to get hit, particularly in later ones like the Manaphy egg mission. Even if you can dodge whatever's being thrown at you, it just seems like a waste of time to me.

In terms of midair battles, it can be very difficult to get an S-rank on later Pokemon like Togekiss without assists. Assists are typically an easy way to increase your rank on a capture. I think you get like +2 for a good assist and +1 for one where the Pokemon isn't released. That's on top of the fact that assists shorten the time it takes to capture, which can add even more to your rank. All in all, you're just stuck with your styler and Latios/Latias, which aren't always sufficient for the quick Pokemon which you often find in the air.

But the thing is, air captures don't break your line unless it attacks you. It is the balance for when you don't have PokeAssists.
On that note, I hate that Latios doesn't come as an Assist as often.

And therein lies the reason people dislike it. And the missions, especially the later ones, really are built to disadvantage you if you're not playing with a partner unless you overlevel which is contradictory to your first statement of being able to level up as you go. Losing on the same level over and over again doesn't count as leveling up as you go, especially when the experience given is inferior.

The Pokemon with the good assists, often aren't that good at higher levels unless you level their attributes up, again adding to the tediousness of having to redo past missions over, and over, and over.

I don't know why you'd find it hard to believe why Pokemon fans don't enjoy level grinding or tedious ways of powering up when that and EV training are possibly two of the most complained about aspects of the series.

You just act like its so easy and fun because "all you have to do is this" when "doing this" is the reason people dislike it in the first place.

As for dodging underwater, its no more difficult than reading the visual and audio cues when a Pokemon is about to attack your capture line during a capture, and honestly, is much easier. What you consider a waste of time is just your opinion. People could find the extensive dialogue a waste of time for all I care.

Seems like the same problem people have with the timed past missions, racing against time and not being sufficiently powered, in which case, I can throw your advice back at you about level grinding.

While my styler hasn't reached a high enough level in GS, everything is so easy in SoA due to its high level. Really, your complaint is that you can't S rank something, while other people's complaints are due to the inaccessibility of certain aspects of the game.

But the thing is, air captures don't break your line unless it attacks you. It is the balance for when you don't have PokeAssists.
On that note, I hate that Latios doesn't come as an Assist as often.
Wait, they don't? Okay, then take back what I said earlier. Can't believe I went the entire game without realizing that...

And therein lies the reason people dislike it. And the missions, especially the later ones, really are built to disadvantage you if you're not playing with a partner unless you overlevel which is contradictory to your first statement of being able to level up as you go. Losing on the same level over and over again doesn't count as leveling up as you go, especially when the experience given is inferior.
I don't think I said you "level as you go", or if I did, it was phrased poorly. I meant that if you have trouble, go back to levels you could beat for experience, AP and/or slates.
The Pokemon with the good assists, often aren't that good at higher levels unless you level their attributes up, again adding to the tediousness of having to redo past missions over, and over, and over.
But is that so different from the main-series games? To beat Red in HGSS, I'm having to rematch Trainers and Gym Leaders over and over to get experience. I'm fine doing that in the post-game, which is how I consider the past missions in GS.

I don't know why you'd find it hard to believe why Pokemon fans don't enjoy level grinding or tedious ways of powering up when that and EV training are possibly two of the most complained about aspects of the series.

You just act like its so easy and fun because "all you have to do is this" when "doing this" is the reason people dislike it in the first place.
I don't know, I suppose you're right. My personal preference is that replaying old challenges in Ranger to get new Pokemon and improve my own skills is more fulfilling than grinding in the main series games. The main series gets formulaic after a while, but Ranger keeps you involved. That's because Ranger is a lot more of an active experience than the turn-based battles of the main series. I like that.

As for dodging underwater, its no more difficult than reading the visual and audio cues when a Pokemon is about to attack your capture line during a capture, and honestly, is much easier. What you consider a waste of time is just your opinion. People could find the extensive dialogue a waste of time for all I care.
You've got me there. But isn't the point of this topic to post annoyances? I only questioned why so many people disliked the past missions so much. I didn't ask to get into a huge debate over their merits. I personally find the underwater chases a distraction from the regular "draw a lot of circles" gameplay.

Seems like the same problem people have with the timed past missions, racing against time and not being sufficiently powered, in which case, I can throw your advice back at you about level grinding.

While my styler hasn't reached a high enough level in GS, everything is so easy in SoA due to its high level. Really, your complaint is that you can't S rank something, while other people's complaints are due to the inaccessibility of certain aspects of the game.
Again, that might be because I somehow ignored one of the biggest advantages of midair battles. Mea culpa, mea culpa.

I remember the trials you had to do in the original Ranger were pretty annoying. And a little bit of the backtracking you have to do in Guardian Signs is annoying. It would've been nicer if you could fly to more areas.

Can't believe nobody said these.

THe last boss battles with the societa.

The big wrestler dude's Regigigas. Every step. EVERY STEP!!!! I hope you know what I'm Talking about.

Kasa's Ditto. Oh my Friggin Gawd. Why the Beasts, and not a Pidgey????

Trying to find pichu in Hocus's boxes. HARD. Battling his giant crobat? hard-ish.

Edwards Mewtwo? Easy. Then again with purple eyes? Still easy.

This came in Shadows of Almia.

Yeah, SoA Regigigas was much harder than the Societea's. For one thing, Pokeassists are much more powerful in this game, and we were previously given access to Metagross. That thing has an awesome assist. Yeah, its easy to dodge for mobile Pokemon, but Regigigas moves fairly slowly. On top of that, Metagross can reach him without being anywhere close to it.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom