• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most useless pokemon moves?

Left foot red, right hand green its Twister! I hate that move! Mainly because every pokemon that learns it has shitty special attack.

Frustration. i mean seriously, sure you can always lower its happiness power by feeding the poke bitter meds, and having it lose all the time (the point of that is...?) but the second you start walking it's power will be lowered! Talk about a high maintenance move >:/
if you have a disobedient traded pokemon, frustration may work.

Last Resort seems pretty useless to me, since it's only usable when all your other moves have 0 PP. How often do you use up so much PP that you're only left with one move? Most people heal their team by then.

Actually, Last Resort only works if all of your Pokemon's other moves have been used at least once. At least, that's what my HGSS guide said.

I don't see the point of Helping hand. I've run into a Plusle and a Minun, both wild and alone. They try Helping Hand. Does nothing. I PWN them with my Swellow because they wasted time. Also, it only raises your attack a PINCH, and it doesn't even say their attack rose! Here's the situation with my Swellow (lvl 40, i believe) and a wild Plusle (forgot level).
A wild Plusle appeared!
Plusle used Helping Hand!
But it failed!
Swellow used Wing Attack!
It's not very effective...
Plusle fainted!
*facepalm*

Last edited:
I don't see the point of Helping hand. I've run into a Plusle and a Minun, both wild and alone. They try Helping Hand. Does nothing. I PWN them with my Swellow because they wasted time.
Yeah, they spam helping hand every time when you fight them. I HATE fighting them. of course, a thunder powered up by a helping hand + plus/minus ability IS gonna hurt, it OHKO'ed my Togekiss in HGSS and that plusle was lv40, while my togekiss was lv48.

Actually, Last Resort only works if all of your Pokemon's other moves have been used at least once. At least, that's what my HGSS guide said.

Someone actually already confirmed that for me a while back. ^^; Thank you, though!

Whirlpool is pretty high up there in terms of uselessness. 35 base power with 1/16th of the target's HP being taken each turn isn't exactly impressive. May as well teach Surf or something in its place.

I don't find Aqua Ring too good, either. Healing 1/16 HP each turn usually doesn't make much of a difference. Unless, of course, you're using a tank. But even so... usually not enough for me to use up one moveslot on. :p

Whirlpool traps. It's actually a very decent move--it's just more or less useless ingame though, unless you're trying to trap a roaming legendary.

Supersonic is useless for the zubat line considering they eventually learn confuse ray, which is twice as accurate.

Whirlpool is pretty high up there in terms of uselessness. 35 base power with 1/16th of the target's HP being taken each turn isn't exactly impressive. May as well teach Surf or something in its place.

BUT! It doesn't allow them to escape! It's like a damaging Mean Look!

Errm... Gotta agree with you on Aqua Ring though.

Yeah, I'm basically an ingame-only player, so Whirlpool isn't exactly my cup of tea. :p I'd prefer Mean Look when it comes to catching legendaries since it's more reliable. I am glad Whirlpool got that boost in power in B/W, though; it really did need it.

Useless? All of the early-game stat modifying moves. (Growl, leer, howl, etc)

I say Tackle is still useful, or at least still serves a purpose. They're not gonna give you Giga Impact as a starting move, after all. But yeah, the Sport moves are useless. Only those who are weak to Electric and fire moves should learn it, not Ground types and Water Types.

Useless? All of the early-game stat modifying moves. (Growl, leer, howl, etc)
Howl certainly isn't useless.

The others are mostly good for things like Geodude--early levels, it's best if you just keep attacking though. Once the stats of your pokemon and the pokemon of your opponents actually get decent, the moves aren't too bad for conserving PP.

After playing FR last night, I have come to the conclusion that Leech Life is useless. I have never seen it used well. I know it restores health, but never does enough damage to heal adequately.

Simple Beam. Especially when the target has status changing moves, so technically, you would be helping them in a way.

Simple Beam isn't useless: if you think it can help whoever you use it on, then you use it in doubles/triples. It's not useless in singles, though.

Synchronoise is best used with Flareon or Leafeon I say... Fire/Fighting and Grass/Poison pokemon are the move's best targets (when a better move can't be used--Gallade is the best user otherwise).

So yeah, I'd say Synchronoise comes the closest to being useless.

Synchronoise is best used with Flareon or Leafeon I say... Fire/Fighting and Grass/Poison pokemon are the move's best targets (when a better move can't be used--Gallade is the best user otherwise).

So yeah, I'd say Synchronoise comes the closest to being useless.

Of course, Synchronoise is learned naturally by exclusively psychic pokemon, so the fact that flareon and leafeon can learn it is probably its only saving grace.

Still, it's incredibly useless.

I don't see the point of giving Normal type attack moves to any other type but Normal. I think all normal type moves are bad without the STAB a Normal pokemon would get from them. The reason I say this is because a Normal type move will never be super effective discounting Hidden Power and Judgement because these moves become other elemental types.

So really if you gave lets say a Hydreigon with a very high special attack a Hyper Beam, this move won't get STAB and will never be super effective against any opponent and therefore is only reliable for it's base power.

The only useful Normal type attack moves seem to be Quick Attack and Extreme Speed for pokemon of a different type for a low HP quick kill, but that's it.

That's why I discount all normal type attack moves unless I am using a Normal type pokemon like Porygon-Z for example.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom