• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Move Animations

Just while looking up about Fury Swipes on Bulbapedia, I had a little bit of a oddball theory of the three starters moves. I know this thread is actually for discussion of move animation and not what moves they can learn, but this interested me with all the discussion of Fury Swipes and the suggestion of Comet Punch. Check out this little bit of trivia from the move Fury Swipes:

bulbapedia said:
Fury Swipes is one of three moves in the main series games to have a base power that is not a multiple of 5, the other two being Comet Punch and Pin Missile.

I read somewhere else in the Gen VI discussion about the possibility of Chesnip having Pin Missile as a move based on its appearance, name origins and whatnot. I would be interesting to me if that move that Froakie was using did turn out to be Comet Punch and Fennekin was capable of learning Fury Swipes. Of course, that's me just be insane XD

Also, @Ant_Lotr ~ thanks :3 I do love the idea of it being Close Combat though ;)

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to what they're going to do with moves like Vital Throw and Seismic Toss. In previous 3D games like Stadium and Pokemon Revolution, Pokemon flying through the air look pretty humorous.

Looking forward to what aerial moves would look like, i.e. Draco Meteor and Fly. The camera had better follow the pokémon, not have it shoot up and and disappear beyond the screen.

Also, blasting moves like Dragon Rage. The hit pokémon had better stagger, or if it's tiny, fly backwards.

Ghost-type Curse
Explosion
Acupressure
Swords Dance
Outrage
OHKO moves

Looking forward to seeing those in X and Y.

Dear Misters Fly and Bounce, please stop being jumpy balls, it's highly degrading and very stupid.

~Serperior

Oh jeez... Diglett with Aerial Ace. That's going to--

Diglett's just going to continue to troll everybody, isn't it?

Oh jeez... Diglett with Aerial Ace. That's going to--

Diglett's just going to continue to troll everybody, isn't it?
Aerial Ace doesn't involve flying, though, it's just an slash.
A move that does make Diglett float though, like Seismic Toss...

... Although on that note, I wonder how it looks like when pokémon battle on water now...

Back in Gen IV, 80 pokemon could learn low kick yet in PBR only 34 of them have kicking animations, hope this changes since all the pokemon now have newer models.

I want to know how the environment will change when battling. Will the backround look similar to the area of the game you are in like in Paper Mario or will it be basic? I'm excited to see the battle during rain, fog, or a sandstorm. And what will the pokémon look like when their attack misses? Will they actually go up and miss? Also I'd like to see attract used.

And I want to see Alakazam use Iron Tail.

Im interested in moves like Fly and contact moves. I want to see if the Flying Pokemon like dive bombs the target or what not and with things like tackle, it would be nice to see the Pokemon actually tackle the opponent, this 3D battling could turn out to be really cool to watch.

With the new Dynamic Battle Camera I could see a lot of moves being re hauled visually

Attacks still look dull...

If you watch this Ninfia release video, the attacks still look dull, pokemon don't move in them almost at all.
Pokémon X and Pokémon Y: A New Pokémon Has Been Revealed! - YouTube

They're misplaced and some of the animations are much too short making it look bad. For example, when Chespin used Solar beam, the beam appeared from the sky above him, which we know is wrong. Another example, Ninfia often poes her/his short animation before the actual attack annimation appears.

Compared to this, even Pokemon Stadium had better animations.
The first X and Y trailer is a bit better, but after seeing the Ninfia/Sylveon video, I felt like being hit below the belt. What do you think?

Re: Attacks still look dull...

Well, it's still very early footage. I thinks it's a bit too early to judge, since anything can change.

If they do end up like this in release, I will be disappointed. I want them to be more reminiscent of the console 3D games.

Last edited:

If you watch this Ninfia release video, the attacks still look dull, pokemon don't move in them almost at all.

They're misplaced and some of the animations are much too short making it look bad. For example, when Chespin used Solar beam, the beam appeared from the sky above him, which we know is wrong. Another example, Ninfia often poes her/his short animation before the actual attack annimation appears.

The first X and Y trailer is a bit better, but after seeing the Ninfia/Sylveon video, I felt like being hit below the belt. What do you think?

Wasn't solarbeam shown to be from above in both Gen IV and Gen V?

Maybe, but it's not in the anime, manga and the Stadium games.

Maybe, but it's not in the anime, manga and the Stadium games.

And that matters how, exactly?

I really hope they'll be more dynamic with the move animations this time, cause you can make so many things with 3D models. They basically got free hands now, and I hope they take this opportunity to make the battles as interesting and appealing to the eyes as possible.

I especially want to see Physical moves making actual contact and not just seeing the attacking Pokemon making a move, like Tackle, and the opponent simply taking a hit out of thin air. I kind of fear that won't be the case though, as the Pokemon are still standing on separate circles instead of being located on a united piece of land where one can move freely.

I was always under the impression that the big ball of energy above chespin was there because they wanted it there. It looked more like it was calling it out than firing it from its mouth/arms/etc., especially when it was angled downward on magikarp specifically. As for Ninfia, I have no idea what you're talking about, seeing as it does it's proper attack animation for every single move shown in there, save for the one charging attack that we don't even know the full nature of yet.

Has anyone yet considered that the vanishing move Froakie used might be Extremespeed? It's always been depicted as a move where the Pokemon vanishes, moves incredibly quickly and hits the foe multiple times. Seems to fit the bill to me! And as long as we're conjecturing, is anyone else pretty much convinced that the move the Litwick uses on the Psyduck is Inferno? I can't think of another extant Fire-type move that looks more similar.

As far as hopes for move animations go, and I think someone has said something along these lines already, I'm really hoping for some move-specific animations on Pokemon because a lot of the ones in were just didn't make any sense PBR. For example, Aerodactyl and Gliscor's aerial Earthquakes, Aggron's ThunderSlaps, the way everything uses Bounce (with the exception of Poyta and Rapidash) and Snorlax's seemingly weightless animation for running toward opponents are some that stand out in particular, but I know there are other oddities that occur. Obviously it'll take some work on the developer's part and might happen as some of the small aesthetic changes of the third installment, but these weird animations can really detract from the experience.

Also, Wobbuffet's countering moves could be made much more dynamic and reactionary as opposed to the current exchange between it and any other Pokemon of attack aninmation -> Wobbuffet's damage animation -> Wobbuffet either runs up to opponent across the battlefield to salute and return damage or stays still to shoot out some beams of light.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom