• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Soo..... then why didn't Alains Charizard dropped death on the spot after Goodra used Rain Dance.

So that one alone already contradicts it.

Wait! Just went over Rain Dance on the wiki, Ho-Oh can learn it via TM.

Makes it even weirder Talonflame and Charizard can't (Especially since Pyroar can). Volcanion, who is literally a Fire and Water type, can't learn it either.

So considering Pyroar (And Delphox) can learn it, but Volcanion can't, basically throws the Moltres can learn it, because its a legendary, argument out the window.

Its especially odd in Volcanions case, since it can learn Sunny Day, so it should also be able to learn Rain Dance.
But isn't Ho-oh tied to rainbows and got the Fire type later? (Yup, it was pure Flying at first).

BUT... of the pokemon nickdt proposed only one is on fire 24/7, and even that is only a teeny tiny flame compared to Moltres' wildfire. And none of them are legendaries, which could mean that their flames aren't too much of a problem to handle.
Same issue as earlier- If it was really a problem, couldn't it just put out the fire? That's like saying a Pikachu should be able to learn Mud Sport to deal with the electricity running through it- the idea is that it has control over its powers.
If I'm not wrong the flame only indicates the health of the Charmander line, it wouldn't matter if it was put out.
They definitely have a few dex entries talking about it-
From the time it is born, a flame burns at the tip of its tail. Its life would end if the flame were to go out.

Given that you can send Charmander out in rain without killing it, though, it's either just a myth or the flame's more resilient than normal fire.

They definitely have a few dex entries talking about it-
From the time it is born, a flame burns at the tip of its tail. Its life would end if the flame were to go out.

Given that you can send Charmander out in rain without killing it, though, it's either just a myth or the flame's more resilient than normal fire.
Not sure which alternative is the likelier one, considering you can also send it out underwater.

There's a third option: gameplay and story segregation.

There's a precedence for a lot of bird Pokemon learning U-turn, however Ho-Oh is not one of them. Perhaps this has something to do with Ho-Oh having the HA Regenerator, but I want that OP U-turn Regenerator Ho-Oh.

It doesn't make sense that none of the Galarian legendary birds learn Heat Wave. Galarian Articuno has the same typing as Xatu and Swoobat (who learn the move), and Galarian Moltres has the same typing as Mandibuzz and Honchkrow, who also get Heat Wave.

It doesn't make sense that none of the Galarian legendary birds learn Heat Wave. Galarian Articuno has the same typing as Xatu and Swoobat (who learn the move), and Galarian Moltres has the same typing as Mandibuzz and Honchkrow, who also get Heat Wave.
Type combo alone doesn’t mean that a Pokémon should get a move apart from STAB though? Galarian Articuno is linked with Ice more than heat. Moltres, yes, it should learn it but not because Mandibuzz and Honchkrow do, but because it is related to the Kantonian fire type Moltres and has flames on it.

I've said it in another thread, but Golduck, Espeon, Azelf, Uxie and Mesprit should be able to learn Power Gem now that it is a TR.
Add Amaura and Aurorus to that list as well.

Yes. As unbelieavable as it sounds, the two Special-attacking, gem encrusted Rock-type fossils STILL can't learn Power Gem for some unfathomable reason.

Extreme Speed has surprisingly little distribution and it really feels like it should be available to more Pokemon: there's literally only 13 families that can learn it without an event, and most are Legendaries/Mythicals.

If nothing else, I feel like at least Pidgeot should get it. Pokedex entries make a huge deal about how fast it flies, but there's still plenty of Flying-types with a higher Speed stat, so giving it Extreme Speed would help justify that claim somewhat. Plus, it'd get STAB from it, so it's all good.

Also, by the hulking muscular arms, Black Kyurem should've been able to learn Ice Punch, and yes, I know the other Kyurem forms don't have those kinds of arms, but that move could've easily been added to the category of "moves that change with the form" like Scary Face and Glaciate is alongside with the moves they become with that category.

Also, by the hulking muscular arms, Black Kyurem should've been able to learn Ice Punch, and yes, I know the other Kyurem forms don't have those kinds of arms, but that move could've easily been added to the category of "moves that change with the form" like Scary Face and Glaciate is alongside with the moves they become with that category.
That, and there's a bunch of Pokemon that learn Ice Punch despite not even having any arms to begin with (hi, Wooper and Gastly), so even if the "moves change with the form" thing wasn't done, it's not like it'd be so weird for base Kyurem and White Kyurem to get it too. I mean, at least they have arms and the Ice-type to justify getting it.

That, and there's a bunch of Pokemon that learn Ice Punch despite not even having any arms to begin with (hi, Wooper and Gastly), so even if the "moves change with the form" thing wasn't done, it's not like it'd be so weird for base Kyurem and White Kyurem to get it too. I mean, at least they have arms and the Ice-type to justify getting it.

At least Wooper can PUNCH with that tail of his.

At least Wooper can PUNCH with that tail of his.
tbh I've always felt like that's kind of a weak excuse. If a tail can serve as a substitute for a fist this easily, then why don't just give punching moves to just about everything that has a tail while we're at it? Aipom and Ambipom sure are starting to feel a lot less special if it turns out their hand tail gimmick could actually be so easily replicated by another Pokemon this entire time...

Back
Top Bottom