• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

MPs reject 'right to die' law in the UK

I, to be brutally honest, is against this idea of assisted dying as it may have bad effects on the family, and the person may not be in a stable mind to make such a big decision, also I don't think it is right to burden doctors with killing someone.

I don't call it assisted dying I call it murder as the patient might not be in the best mind to make a decision as life changing as this. This is my personal view so take don't get angry or offended by this opinion.

In essence, you're saying that people should be left to suffer intense and lasting extreme pain to spare their family's and doctor's feelings.

I can't say I agree with that.

Agree with @Evil Figment;

I'd be incredibly sad yes to see any of my family go through this, but I think it'd be selfish to expect them to go on for weeks months, and sometimes even years, in extreme pain and with no quality of life, just so I can not lose them. If you really love someone, you wouldn't want to see them go through all this pain, you'd want them to finally get some relief and be at peace, that way also you can remember them as you knew them, and not just as a shadow of their former selves writing in agony in a hospital bed.

I, to be brutally honest, is against this idea of assisted dying as it may have bad effects on the family, and the person may not be in a stable mind to make such a big decision.

A burden on the family? No, but I understand where you're coming from.
I know people who are still not completely over seeing their family members waste away to the point of not remembering their name, not knowing someone is dead and each time they'd go to the hospital their health was worse. More tubes. Not being able to eat. Wouldn't it be better to have your last memory of a loved one where they are smiling and you can tell them how much they mean to you, that you love them and will miss them instead of them being dosed up to the point of being unconscious and in constant pain? Watching a loved one deteriorate is far more traumatic. Besides, the legislation doesn't allow family members to speak for them. It is a personal choice.

On a slightly different topic, any pet owner has to accept that they may have to give the vet the ok to put their beloved to sleep (obviously because the pet cannot speak for itself). It would be considered cruel and selfish to let your pet suffer because you don't want to accept responsibility. The vet, who is specially trained and experienced just like a doctor, knows the difference between suffering, simple sickness and the dying. Having 2 doctors and a judge is just the regulation that is needed. If not then throw in a psychiatrist.

also I don't think it is right to burden doctors with killing someone

Doctors already have that burden. They already have the right to switch off life support of a brain dead person as long as it's in 'best wishes' of the patient. They also have the right to operate on conjoined twins even if one will die but the other survives

I don't call it assisted dying I call it murder as the patient might not be in the best mind to make a decision as life changing as this. This is my personal view so take don't get angry or offended by this opinion.

Having an opinion is perfectly fine :p you have presented your opinion in a manner that is polite. Just I obviously disagree xD
Of course there is a risk that the patient may not be in the best mind but like with all things, it'll be regulated and through trial and error the best way would prevail.

Even though a person may want to die, I still don't think it's right to consciously try to end your own life early. I don't think it's necessary to try to prolong life with expensive and painful means, and I am definitely in favor of doing everything possible to make the person as comfortable as they can be. I just don't think people should be trying to end their own lives early, as that in my eyes is suicide.

Except that suicide is something completely different because:
1. The person has to do it by themselves without help from outside.
2. The person often has to do it by painful and/or uncomfortable methods.
3. Their family cannot be present or else they'll be seen as helping the other person kill themselves and that is illegal (at least in my country).
4. Others are also hurt by someones suicide, because they either see the person kill themselves or they find them dead.

One of the points of euthanasia is to prevent people from killing themselves. With euthanasia the person doesn't have to do it themselves, it's a painless method, the family can be present and you can say your goodbyes and nobody else gets hurt. Suicide is way worse, also for the family as they often don't know why the person did it and didn't have the chance to say goodbye. Euthanasia does give them that chance and a chance for the person to explain their reasoning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom