• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh “Name” the player characters

Reaction score
So before they got their “official” names of Calem and Serena I saw a lot of people referring to the player characters of X and Y as Xavier and Yvonne. So I wonder what people currently call these new guys?

My initial thoughts were Soren for the male pc and Siobhan for the female (pronounced Sha-vonn). The latter was inspired by the region even though it’s technically Irish. Soren took longer but looking through a list of boy names it just worked. And they have the same first syllable as Sword and Shield respectively.

The names I see people using the most now are Ken and Shira.

Sword & Shield. In my head, the true names of the PC is always the name of the games, not weird stuff like "Hilbert"

For me, the boy's name is Clay (pronounced similar to the Scottish word for sword) and the girl either Caetra or Parmula (both latin words meaning buckler).

Sword & Shield. In my head, the true names of the PC is always the name of the games, not weird stuff like "Hilbert"
Hilbert is a pretty normal name. Way better than naming your kid "Black".

EDIT: For the boy, I like the name Alexander (defender of men/mankind). Can't think of a female name, though.

Last edited:
I've always liked Hilbert and Hilda for the BW protagonists names personally, kind of makes me sad some people hate them/make fun of the names for sounding "weird" when they really aren't. Also the names mean battle, so I find that to be pretty cool imo.

On topic, if I had to choose the SwSh protagonists names then I'd go with Oliver for the boy and Ailsa for the girl.

EDIT: For the boy, I like the name Alexander (defender of men/mankind). Can't think of a female name, though.

Alastair Is the Scottish variant of that name, since the MCs are Scottish or at least starting in that area. They would likely use the more universal version though. A weird but very fitting female name I found is Lyall which actually means Shield Wolf. However, it seems to be a surname so it may not work.

A weird but very fitting female name I found is Lyall which actually means Shield Wolf. However, it seems to be a surname so it may not work.
Fun fact: its actually used as a first name in Harry Potter for a male: Lyall Lupin was the father of Remus Lupin.
Learnt about its meaning today!

Alastair Is the Scottish variant of that name, since the MCs are Scottish or at least starting in that area. They would likely use the more universal version though. A weird but very fitting female name I found is Lyall which actually means Shield Wolf. However, it seems to be a surname so it may not work.

Shield wolf, eh? I think we might have an idea where one of the box legendary names is going :)

Btw, I love these two names and they work perfectly together. I actually prefer them over my initial suggestions of Søren and Siobhan, but we’ll just have to wait and see what their “canon” names will be.

Do I start a new thread for what we’ll personally name the characters in our runs or does that fit in this category too? I’m probably picking the guy and giving him some kind of Tolkien-based name, either Valandur or Bilbo Bagons ;)

Doing a quick search on Behind the Name:
  • Brenda (F) - Old Norse name Brandr, meaning "sword"
  • Isolde (F) - The origins of this name are uncertain, though some Celtic roots have been suggested. It is possible that the name is ultimately Germanic, perhaps from a hypothetic name like Ishild, composed of the elements is "ice, iron" and hild "battle". [...] became relatively common in England at that time. It was rare by the 19th century, though some interest was generated by Richard Wagner's opera 'Tristan und Isolde' (1865).
  • Griselda (F) - Possibly derived from the Germanic elements gris "grey" and hild "battle".
  • Matilda (F) - From the Germanic name Mahthildis meaning "strength in battle", from the elements maht "might, strength" and hild "battle".
  • Blair (M/F) - derived from Gaelic blár meaning "plain, field, battlefield"
  • Alex (M/F) / Alexander (M) / Alexis (M/F) - Latinized form of the Greek name Αλεξανδρος (Alexandros), which meant "defending men" from Greek αλεξω (alexo) "to defend, help" and ανηρ (aner) "man" (genitive ανδρος).
  • Randel/Randolf (English), Ranulf, Ranulph (Scottish) (M) - Rand meaning rim of a shield.
  • Chad (M) - Old English name Ceadda which is of unknown meaning, possibly based on Welsh cad "battle".
  • Duncan (M) - Anglicized form of the Gaelic name Donnchadh, derived from Gaelic donn "brown" and cath "battle".
  • Harvey (M) - From the Breton given name Haerviu, which meant "battle worthy", from haer "battle" and viu "worthy".
  • Conan (M) - Means "little wolf" or "little hound" from Irish "wolf, hound" combined with a diminutive suffix. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1859-1930) was the author of the Sherlock Holmes mystery stories.
  • Conor (M) - Anglicized form of the Gaelic name Conchobhar, derived from Old Irish con "hound, dog, wolf" and cobar "desiring".
  • Lowell (M) -from lou "wolf" and a diminutive suffix.
I tired to find names that were English, Scottish, and Irish that matched battle, defend, sword, shield, or wolves. I tried Welsh names too, but I think TPCi would probably come up with something more simple that kids outside of Wales could pronounce.

I've weighed the consequences, and thanks to this mock up, the memes would be pretty great

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom