• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New battle structure to make Pokémon stronger

I just hope they don't remove the EVs. I've spent so much time and effort to EV train my pokemon. TT.TT

So Masuda basically confirms this new "bond" feature in his blog, so no more reason to doubt or assume its just the trailer over-blowing making friends with Pokemon.

The idea of pokemon that like you getting bonuses is cool until you realize the opposite. If there were pokemon that get bonuses when they dislike you, then they would essentially be adding an animal abuse mechanic to the game. Oh the shitstorm this would create. Not to mention that it isn't that difficult to get a pokemon to like you.

Anyway, I really hope the new system isn't the logical extreme of double and triple battles. I already don't like triple battles, and now I'm afraid they're gonna add some 6v6 line dance of doom system.

Also, the first part of that statement just sounds like marketing speak. Friendship is basically the point of the series, after all.

The idea of pokemon that like you getting bonuses is cool until you realize the opposite. If there were pokemon that get bonuses when they dislike you, then they would essentially be adding an animal abuse mechanic to the game. Oh the shitstorm this would create.

Solution: Don't add dislike bonuses. Or if you do, make them "bad"- maybe the Pokemon's attacking power goes up, but it starts dealing recoil to itself with every attack, for example. And of course you'd have NPCs admonishing you at every step for letting your Pokemon get this bad.

I'm not saying they should add this mechanic; someone suggested this earlier and I think it was flawed. As Aquanova said, this would basically ruin the point of the game.

I think it means you can interact with your Pokemon Nintendogs style and that will increase it's EVs.

You know, I was wondering, but what if this is in relation to EXP distribution, but on a team level? What I mean is, factor in the friendship, and spread the EXP gain based on the levels of friendliness. Maxed out Pokemon will get equal amounts,but not substantial, while the lower levels will get larger amounts. Pokemon who have no friendship would also gain very little, except for the times that they are in the first slot, promoting the usage of new Pokemon more often, and giving you a chance to experiment with Pokemon you usually wouldn't. Basic first slot gain would still be intact btw. What I'm basically thinking is something like the EXP all, but as a permanent feature.

I think it means you can interact with your Pokemon Nintendogs style and that will increase it's EVs.
I would want that only to experience the cruelty of petting a Ferrothorn.

No matter what they do, a change in the battle mechanics would be very welcome, especially since Generation V did absolutely nothing on that department, unlike all other Generations.

Um... hello? Triple and Rotation battles should probably count as an addition to battling. Gen V did its fair share.

Um... hello? Triple and Rotation battles should probably count as an addition to battling. Gen V did its fair share.

Those are just new types of battles. I'm talking about changes in the battle structure such as the Special stat split to Special Attack and Special Defense in Gen. II, the introduction of abilities in Gen. III and the Physical and Special split in Gen. IV.

Masuda specifically saying that Pokémon will become 'even more powerful' based on this 'bond' leads me to believe that this isn't just fluff about Trainers and Pokémon trusting each other, but rather something more substantial.

I think that there may be a separate system of 'bonds' implemented -- like, perhaps your bond is just this long bar on the status page for each Pokémon you have, eventually filling up as you travel and battle together, and, as it fills up, your Pokémon's stats get ramped up a bit, or other bonuses are put in place for them. Since there is apparently some sort of compatibility with Gen V, I thought at first that the happiness system would've been built upon further in compliance with this system, but I realised that you can stick in a bond bar just as well once the Gen V Pokémon were transferred -- similarly to trading between DPPt and HGSS, wherein your Pokémon would get Pokéathlon stats that were apparently never there before.

Masuda specifically saying that Pokémon will become 'even more powerful' based on this 'bond' leads me to believe that this isn't just fluff about Trainers and Pokémon trusting each other, but rather something more substantial.

I think that there may be a separate system of 'bonds' implemented -- like, perhaps your bond is just this long bar on the status page for each Pokémon you have, eventually filling up as you travel and battle together, and, as it fills up, your Pokémon's stats get ramped up a bit, or other bonuses are put in place for them. Since there is apparently some sort of compatibility with Gen V, I thought at first that the happiness system would've been built upon further in compliance with this system, but I realised that you can stick in a bond bar just as well once the Gen V Pokémon were transferred -- similarly to trading between DPPt and HGSS, wherein your Pokémon would get Pokéathlon stats that were apparently never there before.
If its that literal a change, and its basically a way to net bonuses for Pokemon, I wonder if they could integrate the HM into it. Like if you have a flying Pokemon, once it trusts you enough, it can eventually start to fly you around the region, or for water Pokemon they can start to trustingly swim with you on their back. Hell, anything that can get rid of HM's and be coupled with this is a good thing, and hopefully it happens.

If its that literal a change, and its basically a way to net bonuses for Pokemon, I wonder if they could integrate the HM into it. Like if you have a flying Pokemon, once it trusts you enough, it can eventually start to fly you around the region, or for water Pokemon they can start to trustingly swim with you on their back. Hell, anything that can get rid of HM's and be coupled with this is a good thing, and hopefully it happens.

Yes, anything to get rid of redundant HMs. Learning a flying Pokemon Fly or a Water-type Surf is probably the most useless aspects of HMs, because these Pokemon already knows how to fly and surf. They are freaking made to fly and surf, no need to teach them a move to do that.

I like the idea of a growing bond between you and your Pokemon and having HMs being worked into that. You can't fly or surf until you've build up a strong enough relationship.

Yes, anything to get rid of redundant HMs. Learning a flying Pokemon Fly or a Water-type Surf is probably the most useless aspects of HMs, because these Pokemon already knows how to fly and surf. They are freaking made to fly and surf, no need to teach them a move to do that.

I like the idea of a growing bond between you and your Pokemon and having HMs being worked into that. You can't fly or surf until you've build up a strong enough relationship.
Exactly the reason why I mentioned HM's. You have Pokemon that fly and surf by nature, but god forbid your gonna use that to fly and surf yourself. Its a travesty especially this gen when the gyms aren't even HM usage points anymore, and they still need to be used.(B2W2 being the major offender)

Those are just new types of battles. I'm talking about changes in the battle structure such as the Special stat split to Special Attack and Special Defense in Gen. II, the introduction of abilities in Gen. III and the Physical and Special split in Gen. IV.

Sure, it didn't really add any mechanics or structures in battles, but it introduced 2 new types of battles and vastly improved all of the other aspects of battles that already existed with some good fine tuning and additions. I wouldn't complain about that.

I hope they mean something like increasing some Pokémons' base stats. Many of them are very useless.

So here's an interesting line from Colress, something you only hear from him once, only during your second rematch at the Plasma Frigate in P2 lab. Usually they give you a different line for the first rematch only, but to give you one in the second rematch but not any subsequent one? Kind of interesting.

"Even the same Pokémon can exhibit different strengths depending on the Trainer! It's so interesting! Very, very interesting!"
I had speculated that if trainer customization exists, it would affect what the "bond" influences on the trainer's Pokemon...or at least if you got to choose a trainer class, it would influence it.

Let's all take into consideration that Gen V ended with a villain who wanted to unleash the full potential of Pokemon, and let the main character move forward because he wanted to see whether a Pokemon's true power is unleashed when they are with trainers rather than on their own.

If trainer rank starts affecting pokemon stats, then I'd be happier then a peach. We could even gain a boost for beating the league, and perhaps even the gym level restraints for traded Pokemon will be for all Pokemon.

and perhaps even the gym level restraints for traded Pokemon will be for all Pokemon.
That would be redundant as as it would affect everyone. It would also be random seeing as we've had gym badges since the very beginning. Unless you mean just level restrictions, in which case it would be unfair to players who actually put more effort into building their team.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom