• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Fan fic

What Characters should be in my ne Fic

• New characters the writer creates

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • Exsisting characters (Ash Misty Tracy Brock Ect)

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carissa24

Ni-Hao ^-^
Reaction score
Hey all im thinking about writing a fan fic i dont know how good it will be i have never tried a pokemon fic but i have done Harry Potter fics and i don't think they were that bad and i never got any complaints. Anyway I was wondering what you guys would be interested in reading i really wanna do a trainer fic with them actually training so just let me know should i invent new characters or just take trainers that already exist?

Well plz vote New trainers or already existing trainers in a week ill let you know the results and start writing:)

Edit: Just so you know there will be some romance in the fic but hopefully some intense battles to, and of course some legendary appearances. If you vote to use Existing characters plz post who you would like to read about most and who should Hook up as a couple.

Last edited:
Using the existing characters isn't something everybody can do. Try creating your own set of trainers, because you'll have more freedom with them.

This can go both ways but I am leaning towards making your own characters that way it wont be the same as the animie.

I think you should change the topic's title to include the phrase "(discussion)" or "[discussion]".
I ended up coming here under the false idea of it being a new fic with no defined title...

Re: New Fan fic [Discussion]

Wow, seven-nothing on new characters. Guess you get the idea now ^_^

I guess it depends on what kind of story you wanna do. If you have a story idea for pre-existing characters, then use them. If your story doesn't need those characters, then don't. The only thing with the pre-existing characters is that they're already developed for you, so you have to keep them in character or everyone will be like, "Whaaa--?" I mean, you can still develop them in your own way, but in a way that accommodates how they've already been developed.

I read this Harry Potter fanfic once about Hermione finding out she was actually some long-lost daughter of the Malfoys or something. It was terrible. It could've been interesting, except Hermione didn't act like Hermione -- she was so different from how Hermione acted that it would've worked better if the author had used an original character.

Moral of the story: Only use pre-existing characters if you're prepared to make them act in character.

Moral of the story: Only use pre-existing characters if you're prepared to make them act in character.

Ehh, I should have said this earlier. When I meant "you'll have more freedom with them", I meant that you won't have to worry about keeping them in character all the time.

I prefer original characters as long as they are good, I mean its easy to create a OC. (Especially in Pokemon.) but making a GOOD OC, that's hard. I enjoy making a OC they're like soft clay, you can shape them any way you like, that's a freedom you don't have with existing characters.
But you have to make the OC believable and interesting because they're the pillar of the story. If the character fails, so does the story.
I'm working on a story now and my biggest concern is the OC and making him grapping and interesting.
Good luck!

Last edited:

My fic uses anime characters and the way I go around having to be too rigid with how they are in the anime is that I aged them five years. That way you get a little lee-way in how you can portray them.

Otherwise, going with OC is the way to go IMO. A lot more room to make them deep, complex characters that people can relate to and root for (or hate and root against if they are villains).

i guess i see where this is going lol.

Anyone Bump plz

Last edited:

I'll vote on new! I don't want same-old, same-old again and again in all those repetitive fanfics.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom